Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up

Mar 4, 2014, 1:50 AM

attendance. For whatever reason, many didn't show up on Sunday. It happened already. It's in the past. Some people need to get over it. All you can do is encourage students to attend the next one.

I went to as many sporting events as possible when I was at Clemson, but Sunday was one of the first really nice days we have had in a while. You can bet your ###, I'd have been up early to take my dog and go hiking/trout fishing in Walhalla, and I wouldn't have come back until the sun was down. And as a free citizen of the United States of America, I'd be allowed to do that.

Some people on here seem to have lost touch with reality.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up

Mar 4, 2014, 2:28 AM

Bashing THESE students isn't going to help.

What will help is getting back to enrolling the real Clemson supporters from around our area, that actually care about the University.

The University has sold it's soul on this Top 20 agenda by doubling the out of state student population($24K a year) compared to in state($12K a year) kids.

They try to prop up the Freshman SAT #'s by not allowing in kids for a year that are A, B Honor Roll Students that are taking AP classes because of 100 points less than last years average score.

I know because this happened to my Niece this year. A student that is active in Marching Band, Pep Band and many more student activities. A student that NEVER missed a sporting event to support her school or fellow students.

She is told to go to Tri County for a Year and then will be admitted as a Sophomore.

Clemson I am afraid has now lost this loyal student to another University in the Upstate.

I hope Clemson is starting to realize that most of these out of state students are just here for a less expensive Degree and most don't seem to actually care about the University or it's Athletic Programs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post!

Mar 4, 2014, 6:04 AM

Right on.

Clemson does not realize the potential long term negative effect The Bridge program is causing. Many students choose to go to another school, not to the Tri County bridge.

Plus, many times when you drive into Clemson, it looks like you are in New Delhi.

well

Mar 4, 2014, 6:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

a majority of the instate students are actually from a 10 county area that is mainly along the I 85 corridor. these are local students. it is not the students themselves, it is marketing, encouragement by the school, etc.
do not bash the students by implying they are from out of state and don't want to attend basketball games. that is non-sense. I understand your frustration, but it is not factual.
the University is trying to drive high academics. that is what they are supposed to do being an academic institution. having high standards is not linked to attendance of basketball games. nonsense.

~ 67%[or 14000ish] of clemson's student pop is from instate.

Mar 4, 2014, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

i remember not long ago clemson's total student population wasn't 14,000[didn't eclipse that mark until 1988]. littlejohn has been there since 1968...

i understand the rub with clemson's growth, but instate admissions have grown[in number] every year from the data i've seen. also, i just don't see why anyone would stand in clemson's way of improving its academic offering & standing? i mean barker, his bad... wait, wut?

i hold complete & utter disdain for all notre dame athletics, but if for some reason i chose notre dame law school or another graduate program there, you'd d@mn sure find me supporting my fellow students. it's college, these should be your friends if only by proxy.

i honestly, earnestly don't understand the apathy towards this basketball team and the lack of attendance that follows it. d@mmit, it's college. you don't even have to like basketball to show your support or give up a couple hours on sunday...

i think it's fairly obvious there's a disconnect somewhere, but i don't find much that would support the home grown[no colorado] notion you put forth.

maybe clemson needs an enema?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then again maybe it isn't.***

Mar 4, 2014, 11:48 PM

Re: Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up

Mar 4, 2014, 8:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

I was an out of state student with no ties previously to the university. I had about half of my friends that were the same. We went to every bball game from 07-11. The in-state, out of state card does not apply here in my opinion. I promise I love Clemson just as much if not more than the next guy.

What the problem is, I don't know. I remember the lowest attended games in my time there came during exam weeks or when there were large Frat functions.

As an out-of-state alumnus, screw off.***

Mar 4, 2014, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

^^^ cliff notes version of my post for the tldnr crowd.***

Mar 4, 2014, 8:29 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I debated on going into it, but I already did in another

Mar 4, 2014, 8:31 AM

thread and I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get your joe on, then come back and visit...

Mar 4, 2014, 8:33 AM

should be a joyous tuesday.

gwp got the ROH yesterday; i expect great things from her today.

They just let anyone in now!

Mar 19, 2021, 8:45 PM

Need to bump it up to 35k points, which I passed yesterday :P.

nice. gwp went mainstream long ago, careful, he might

Mar 4, 2014, 8:37 AM

try to elbow in on your LBOD action, all doods though.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

I can always ask my associate bob to

Mar 4, 2014, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I debated on going into it, but I already did in another ]

link it from that previous thread if that would help?

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Uhhh, this one?

Mar 4, 2014, 9:35 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=1&threadID=1331427&messageID=15113244#15113244

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

You are so misinformed, it isn't even funny.

Mar 4, 2014, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

Clemson has risen in academic stature over the past 15 years while keeping the percentage of in-state students the same (66%). This percentage has been constant for decades. So the notion that Clemson has started accepting a greater percentage of out-of-state students and turned its back on poor South Carolinians in the process, is complete and utter bovine excrement.

Clemson is harder for everyone to get into than it used to be, whether in-state or out-of-state. That's because Clemson is now viewed as a more prestigious school, and has a greater number of applications than it used to. The ability to be more selective is a nice problem to have, and is one I give Jim Barker credit for.

With that said, out-of-state students aren't any less inclined to attend Clemson games than out-of-state students. I don't know where you go that either. Let me guess, you are one of those who think too many "'Yankees" are at Clemson and we should accept a bunch of South Carolina kids so they can all major in agriculture like the good 'ol days. Right?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You need to get your facts straight.

Mar 4, 2014, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

- Instate to out of state try $20k to $40k
- % in/out have not changed much over time (least last 10 to 15 yrs)
- I don't know what decides the Bridge, but it is not SATs. My son this year only got offered the Bridge and his SATs are higher than the Clemson average (his M/V +1400. They are also higher than his sisters, who is a Soph now at Clemson (she is wondering if she would have got in now). I am wondering if the increased exposure is just getting more applicants this year so they are getting more selective???
- the Bridge is also $5k cheaper than a freshman year on campus, so it is not all bad
- good luck to your Niece, but the Bridge could save them some bucks and she might get a better education in the long run. But everyone needs to make their own decisions. I am just glad there is a choice.

For the record, there was nothing on the application on "how many sporting events do you plan to attend". If so, my son would have made it easily.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You need to get your facts straight.

Mar 4, 2014, 7:06 PM

I'm from Massachusetts and I attended as many Clemson sporting events as I could when I was in school. The whole "out of state" vs "in-state" argument is stupid. I'm from the Boston area so I'm an avid sports fan. Since Clemson was my school and sports are a thing here compared to other schools I looked at, I started going to games and got hooked! (Working now and people at work - all NC State grads - probably think I'm way overboard with my Clemson fandom haha).

PS: I would not do the Bridge program if you're out of state. Paying all that money to take classes at Tri-County?

Message was edited by: ptong®

Message was edited by: ptong®

Great thought, I never considered it but that is probably

Mar 4, 2014, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

The most likely contributing factor of all

I'm on your side- bashing anyone serves no constructive

Mar 4, 2014, 2:46 AM

purpose, but I see it a bit different in terms of support than many. When times are trying is when to step up the support more so than when times are going great. FBF I think I remember u from way back. Does Donnie Osmond ring a bell?

Mar 4, 2014, 6:41 AM

Nope...you are the one who has lost touch with reality. Anyone who is a real Tiger fan would be at the game, especially the trifling student body. Do you realize if we beat Pitt on Saturday that we will be #5 in the conference after being picked 14th. They deserve some love and support. They bust their ##### every game with much less talent than most of their opponents and your ####### needs to go trout fishing?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the measure of a real tiger fan

Mar 4, 2014, 6:51 AM

you seem to be the self acclaimed standard setter for this category

News flash, some people care more about academics and

Mar 4, 2014, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Shaming or bashing students isn't going to drive up ]

their personal lives than they do the basketball team.

Electrical Engineer, minor in Mathematics, 3.5GPA

Mar 4, 2014, 5:05 PM

and I still had a personal life and I still went to nearly all of the basketball games...

Your point is not made.

Re: Electrical Engineer, minor in Mathematics, 3.5GPA

Mar 4, 2014, 5:10 PM

So you can balance everything out, good for you. However going back to what he just said, some people "care" more about other things. It's almost like you're saying, hey you're a ###### person because you care more about this than I do, even though we've never met and share different interests. I understand what you're all trying to say but these knee jerk reactions make you look like you aren't even trying to have a logical argument.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact is, we only need less than 7% of our students

Mar 4, 2014, 5:11 PM

to show up and fill up the student section in LittleJohn. We cannot do that, it is ####### pathetic, and even our former players and current players have tweeted about it. The media is picking it up, it is becoming embarrassing.

I agree

Mar 4, 2014, 5:15 PM

but I'm not sure what to do about it, I don't think anyone is or it would be fixed by now. All we can do is hope for the team to improve, and the hype will build, and people will come. If someone doesn't want to go for whatever reason though, who are we to judge?

If that person claims to be a Clemson Basketball fan,

Mar 4, 2014, 5:16 PM

then we are to judge them.

Millennials don't like to be judged soccer

Mar 4, 2014, 5:19 PM

They are all special snow flakes and all very important and beautiful people with unique gifts. Judging them for their actions is wrong and you should be ashamed of yourself. You need to take some sort of diversity training or something.

Yet these students are reading TigerNet????????????

Mar 4, 2014, 6:57 AM

As Gomer once said: "Makes you stop and think, don't it?"

Already tried encouraging them, didn't work. Trial & error process..***

Mar 4, 2014, 7:35 AM

i dont think

Mar 4, 2014, 8:07 AM

It is just one factor nor is it just clemson. First, some kids just dont care for sports. The go to college for the education and could care less about sports. Does this make sense? No but it is true....secondly, winning breeds attendance and tradition. I think yall have overachieved so understand your frustration but if you were competing for a conference championship, more would show (same here for any school). Take a look at wakr forest basketball. When skip prosser was coaching and they were competing, LJVMC was slammed and their students werr wild. Now....crickets.

Lastly, is clemson on spring break thisbweek? I believr usc started this week. If so, u have yout answer right there. Bottom line is keeping winning and people will show. It doesnt happen overnight.

Of course, the Clemson of today is different from that of

Mar 4, 2014, 8:10 AM

the 60's, when I was there. So, apparently are the attitudes of students, and I mean that with no disrespect.

No need to rehash the differences, but I have consistently maintained that, if there are attendance problems, then no amount of bashing from us will rectify the situation.

What is needed is strong leadership from the administration and, most importantly, from student leaders themselves. My position is to lay the charge directly on the Student Body President, then on through the ranks to every leader of every club, organization, society, frat, sorority, whatever on campus.

There is a Central Spirit Committee, which should become more pro-active with other leadership to derive new ways to encourage participation. Of course, all won't step up to the plate, but many will...if strong leadership emerges. Thus, I see this as a challenge to those leaders and would implore them to enter into the fray post haste.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can the parents - the ones forking over the $$$$, help?

Mar 4, 2014, 1:46 PM

They could tell their offspring, "I expect your butt to be seated in LJ at every home basketball game." Might get a few more in there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of course, the Clemson of today is different from that of

Mar 4, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Of course, the Clemson of today is different from that of ]

Great points, I wish more would use sound arguments like this instead of just bashing the original poster.

Waaahhhh, the big bad meanies on Tigernet are bashing

Mar 4, 2014, 8:15 AM

and shaming me because they're sick of watching their alma-mater have disgusting student attendance at the games.

It is so bad that even former and current basketball players are commenting on it...

And you say we've lost touch with reality. STFU, and support your team.

I'm not a student anymore, DA. I'm 33 years old, and work

Mar 4, 2014, 12:09 PM

during most games. I support Clemson when and where I can.

I'm a man I'm 33

Mar 4, 2014, 2:06 PM

wow...

Mar 4, 2014, 8:44 AM

You do realize that the S.C. education system is one of the worst in the nation? Bringing in out of state students gets the school more money and a better quality of student from a purely academic point of view. It is an institute of higher learning after all.

Coming from an out of state student who has only missed 3 football games, home or away, in four years. I've been to every ACC stadium (sans Pitt and Louisville) and I've even made it to a few away basketball games. Your bashing of the student choice is unbased and frankly a horrible representation of our university. Is it so hard to grasp that maybe the in-state students who get bridged or rejected just aren't up to the standard of our school? Is that not a good thing in the long run for the quality of your degree?

Re: wow...

Mar 4, 2014, 9:36 AM

SC students are soooo dumb why do they make better grades than you and your yankees buddies

Re: wow...

Mar 4, 2014, 5:03 PM

Haha, yes, North Carolina is in fact a northern state, right?

I didn't say that South Carolinian students are dumb, I said that the educational system, especially in the lower part of the state, is fairly atrocious. I have plenty of friends at Clemson from South Carolina and they're very intelligent. That doesn't mean that the kids that don't get in should get in on principle just because they're from the right state.

To be honest, your post fairly proves my point.

Except that's not why Clemson was founded

Mar 4, 2014, 5:13 PM

Thomas Green Clemson, the university's founder, came to the foothills of South Carolina in 1838, when he married Anna Maria Calhoun, daughter of John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina statesman and seventh U.S. Vice President.[11] When Clemson died on April 6, 1888, he left most of his estate, which he inherited from his wife, in his will to be used to establish a college that would teach scientific agriculture and the mechanical arts to South Carolinians.

Re: Except that's not why Clemson was founded

Mar 4, 2014, 5:29 PM

Haha, thanks for the Wikipedia lesson!

"My purpose is to establish an agricultural college which will afford useful information to the farmers and mechanics, therefore it should afford thorough instruction in agriculture and the natural sciences connected therewith -- it should combine, if practicable, physical and intellectual education, and should be a high seminary of learning in which the graduate of the common schools can commence, pursue and finish the course of studies terminating in thorough theoretic and practical instruction in those sciences and arts which bear directly upon agriculture, but I desire to state plainly that I wish the trustees of said institution to have full authority and power to regulate all matters pertaining to said institution -- to fix the course of studies, to make rules for the government of the same, and to change them, as in their judgment, experience may prove necessary, but to always bear in mind that the benefits herein sought to be bestowed are intended to benefit agricultural and mechanical industries."

You should probably take that opinion up with the Board of Trustees. We should probably cut out half of the colleges that Clemson includes too...as they don't align with the original intent of the University. Why do we need a business school anyhow...it's not like that is a relevant profession in the modern world. We should be focused on the 1880s!

While things have obviously changed since then

Mar 4, 2014, 5:33 PM

Clemson is a State school, and the main objective of a State school is to educate people from the state in which they are located. If Clemson were a private school, this would be different but again, it is a STATE school, funded in part by the STATE of SOUTH CAROLINA, and the TAX PAYERS of the state. While I have no issue with accepting out of state students (my wife, a Clemson grad was from Tennessee) South Carolina students should receive top priority.

Message was edited by: drewtigeralum03®

Re: While things have obviously changed since then

Mar 4, 2014, 5:36 PM

Well then I feel like we shouldn't have accepted Tajh, Sammy, CJ...I could go on if you'd like.

Pretty funny that quite a few (I'd bet half?) of the student athletes that us out-of-state students aren't supporting by being at the games, are out-of-state students themselves...so there's that.

Message was edited by: hrigsby®

Did you read the part where I said

Mar 4, 2014, 5:41 PM

I don't have a problem accepting out of state students.

This stands especially for those with unique skills and abilities who bring more money into the university than other students.

However, if it's a choice between a similar in state and out of state student (I personally think in state students should actually have a built in advantage in terms of selection criteria) Clemson should take the instate student every time, because again, it's a state school.

In the Clemson charter

Mar 4, 2014, 12:11 PM [ in reply to wow... ]

I do recall the main goal being to educate people from New Jersey.

Re: In the Clemson charter

Mar 4, 2014, 5:03 PM

There are a lot of them but if I had the chance to get out of New Jersey I think I'd go for it too!

Mar 4, 2014, 9:30 PM

I agree with you!! Maybe they are like me-tired of losing

Instead of being tired of losing

Mar 4, 2014, 9:33 PM

I wish you would be tired of being stupid.

Mar 4, 2014, 9:45 PM

Maybe we should issue uniforms and have mandatory attendance policies like the service academies. Bet that would work out great.

Tell em coot***

Mar 4, 2014, 10:05 PM

Re: Tell em coot***

Mar 4, 2014, 10:10 PM

You fail to appreciate sarcasm.

Let's see what FootballFan36 has to say about it.***

Mar 4, 2014, 10:11 PM

Well I can't fly, but I don't peck at the dirt. Did your mom

Mar 4, 2014, 10:17 PM

not teach you any manners?

Taught me better'd'n be a dirty coot!***

Mar 4, 2014, 11:22 PM

:(***

Mar 5, 2014, 12:30 AM

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic