Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ?

Nov 24, 2020, 10:34 PM

Admin ? Bord of Trustees / Pres etc ?

Money $$$ ?

AD / Ath dept?

Facilities ?

Something else ?

I don't expect them to ever be worth a shiite !!!

But what is their problem ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Pure and simple it's their culture***

Nov 24, 2020, 10:50 PM

Re: Pure and simple it's their culture***

Nov 25, 2020, 7:38 PM

Agree, they have this thug nonsense that they seem proud of. It’s a lowest common denominator way of getting good athletes, which might work for a season, but eventually implodes.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ?

Nov 24, 2020, 10:51 PM

It's ran like government. Everyone is looking to put out minimal work and get the best paycheck and go home. No one wants to fight for success outside of donors.

Clemson is ran like a business. South Carolina is ran like a government.

That IS the difference.

Illustration:
-Go into the Clemson Business College office and knowingly ask them about signing up for an Engineering class. When they tell you that you need to speak with the advisors at the Engineering Dept, watch at how they either call them for you, or walk you over to Holtzendorf themselves. They may ask you 90 questions to really understand what you are trying to do to see if they can actually help you before forwarding you on.

-Now do the same at South Carolina. I guarantee you that you'll be brushed off with a "we don't do engineering advising here -- sorry" before you are ignored.

Take that illustration and extrapolate it.

Message was edited by: MarineOneClemson®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2020, 8:54 AM

As much as I want to agree with you on the gov/business concept... (generally I do) I have to say Clemson is run like a government as well. The difference is the "expectations" of the government. If you don't tolerate ineffectiveness, apathy, and failure to produce, then Gov can succeed. Keep in mind, Clemson will put the breaks on any "graduation" just because of the "requirements". They are a code office for degrees. They hold the power (business do not). That is government, not business. If government was run like a business.... that means government is running at a profit and that is dangerous. Different scales there.

I would have been one of those hypothetical (except going to Sirrine from Lowry). Granted, if you asked the front desk, they might try and help. However, a true Clemson student would not ask the admin assistant about signing up, they would just reach out to the professor directly and already have a grasp of both the syllabus and the require work/courses before they step into the office. A Clemson student would be like an builder already knowing the code requirements BEFORE stepping into a permit office. Coots, well they will bring their drunken ignorant self into office and rant about "the injustices" - likely in the music department.

It comes back to culture and expectations. Not operations. You could run the coots like a business... and they would still fail. They would try and take every shortcut and produce an inferior product. They would have a toxic culture in every case and abuse everywhere - sounds like them? Just look their HC coach talk. Freeze (questionable morals) or unrealistic expectations. They are not looking to grow their program, they are looking at a quick fix. And not having an internal candidate at least on some level shows they do not have a culture in place. Worse, they are almost like those predatory holding firms that obtains a "coaching name" that is basically only a label in some bankruptcy case like "Polaroid" or Circuit City etc. Their only success is by recognition of another, theft.

Nov 25, 2020, 9:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ? ]

Marine nailed it. Son and DIL both have undergrad degrees from CU and post degrees from UofSC. The difference between how students are treated are night and day. UofSC professor told my son that he never worried about CU grads being successful because they were prepared by CU for success.

Nov 24, 2020, 10:53 PM

The biggest issue the ##### have is being in a conference with at least 7-8 teams that will out-recruit them in most years...and that’s on the low end. Combine that with a dysfunctional administration as well as a culture that promotes individuals over the program (Spurrier, Holtz, insert name of the next anointed player) and you have a recipe for long-term issues.

They will never admit this, but they would be far better off (if success in athletics is the metric) being in the ACC. With their fan base and facilities, I think they could be at least moderately successful year in and year out.

For now and the foreseeable future, I’ll continue to enjoy seeing them miserable.

Nov 24, 2020, 11:23 PM

100% in agreement! Thank you Frank McGuire!

So, the ACC is weak? Got it.***

Nov 25, 2020, 12:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ? ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yeah, they’ve tried that before. How’d that work out for them?

Nov 25, 2020, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously - what is wrong with the COOTS as a program ? ]

Don’t forget the chicken curse

Nov 24, 2020, 10:59 PM

Seems to be going as planned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 24, 2020, 10:59 PM

Just look at how their BOT is selected . I understand all are selected by the legislature . The majority of ours are selected by the current board . I think 7 out of 13 .

Nov 24, 2020, 11:02 PM

Visit Columbia. HTH!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's their mascot...

Nov 24, 2020, 11:09 PM

seriously.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's their mascot...

Nov 24, 2020, 11:32 PM

They have had a serious problem with developing players. As someone said above, they have to recruit against the rest of the SEC and Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's their mascot...

Nov 25, 2020, 5:35 AM [ in reply to It's their mascot... ]

seriously.

The mascot isn’t the reason but they do have a top 5 worst mascot in CFB. A chicken.....really?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They just are what they are

Nov 24, 2020, 11:33 PM

Fire is hot, water is wet, coots are well, bad.

Nov 25, 2020, 12:09 AM

A successful program has to have everyone on the same page from the president down to the waterboy. When Max Lennon was president here our program suffered. Presidents often don't want the AD or booster club contacting the school's big donors because they think it takes away from academic giving. When the BOT's are not all interested in athletics, the programs suffer. Of course, they want to win, but are not willing to do what it takes. Also schools that are serious hire real AD's, not baseball coaches because they think they owe it to them.

Nov 25, 2020, 8:35 AM

I think it’s the culture. In a nutshell.

Strong people will hire strong people.

Weak people will hire weak people. It festers and feeds itself. It’s a failure of leadership that begins at the very top. Leadership is about leaders serving their followers (Dabo is the epitome of that). At South Carolina, Leadership is about followers serving their leaders.

Nov 25, 2020, 12:10 PM

Yes ..... it starts at the top. Just about all colleges presidents and trustees give lip service to winning and being the best, but many do not really want to do what it takes to be successful.

Everything

Nov 25, 2020, 12:27 AM

They have a toxic combination of arrogance and stupidity.

Arrogance causes people to make stupid decisions. On the other hand, great leadership requires humility. Humility has always been in short supply in Columbia.

Their culture is rancid. Their fanbase is rancid. It's virtually impossible to fix.

The chicken curse

Nov 25, 2020, 1:07 AM

thanks Ben

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2020, 5:33 AM

BOT. And a fan base that likes a good game so the tailgate is fun. Win? Lose? Meh. Their elitist attitude early on in their history also continues to contribute to their demise.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2020, 5:50 AM

They should have never adopted the name "Gamecocks" as their identity. They should have remained the Jaguars. Why would anyone want to be a chicken?

Looking at their program wrong...

Nov 25, 2020, 6:22 AM

They had a brief period of 'right'...now...they're back to normal. Clearly couldn't handle success...like alcohol to a child!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2020, 7:17 AM

They never recovered from leaving the ACC IN 1971-72 because they thought they were being treated unfairly by the Tobacco Industry (Tobacco Road schools).
Too much weed I guess.

Nov 25, 2020, 7:23 AM

The Chicken Curse

Nov 25, 2020, 7:34 AM

2 words....

CHICKEN CURSE

Some are destined to be the windshield...

Nov 25, 2020, 7:58 AM

while others are destined to be the bug.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 25, 2020, 8:01 AM

The biggest reason is Cliff. I don’t recall ever knowing his last name. Cliff worked a little gas station on Sumter Street one block from the horseshoe. It was either a Gulf or an Esso station, can’t remember now. Cliff was a fairly good worker but had some mental issues. He would talk to you as he filled your tank and washed your windows. He worked other different jobs during the year. For instance, when the state fair came to town, Cliff worked there also. What brought him the most joy was working at Carolina Stadium during football season. Cliff had been around a good while, may even have worked when the team played at Melton Field. It was where the Russell House and the library sit today, right in the middle of campus. I don’t know what Cliff did or who he worked for but just imagine he was a “gopher.” However, all that changed when Paul Dietzel came to town. Dietzel began changing all aspects of the football program. Well, one season soon after, Cliff was told his services wouldn’t be needed any longer. Cliff did love his gamecocks, but from that day forward, he lived to bring down Dietzel and the football team. Now, when you went to fill your tank at the gas station, Cliff would begin to tell you that he “put a hex” on Dietzel and that they would begin to lose games. Sure enough, it started happening and Cliff had the biggest smile on his face. Don’t know whatever happened to Cliff but I think of him when I think of what makes USuCk football the way it is today.

Gamecock folks I know here in Columbia blame

Nov 25, 2020, 8:28 AM

the BOT.

I think it begins with their lack of a tradition of success. They also made some bad coaching hires...Holtz and Spurrier come to mind...trying to find a quick fix. Rather, I believe they need a Dabo-type with similar values, possessing a real thirst for success, and a superior knack for hiring, as well as a tremendous gift at recruiting.

Finding the right man is on the AD, and Carolina has had its shares of bad AD's, including Tanner IMO.

I will credit their fanbase, for they have been loyal over the years and deserve better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhh...no they don't !!!!

Nov 25, 2020, 8:51 AM

They deserve EXACTLY what they're getting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They're coots***

Nov 25, 2020, 8:32 AM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: They're coots***

Nov 25, 2020, 9:06 AM

U of SC isn't terrible in all sports. They actually have a winning tradition in some. I think the fact that our stadium is an integral part of the campus that students and administration see everyday, while there's is miles away in a rundown industrial wasteland plays a huge part. They aren't reminded of football every time they drive around their campus. We are.

If they had AT&T Stadium right in their backyard...

Nov 25, 2020, 9:14 AM

they would still suck. It's a cultural thing.

Ben Tillman

Nov 25, 2020, 8:56 AM

They deserve what the get!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2020, 9:25 AM

Simple: Second-rate people running a third-rate university in a fourth-rate location. The football team would have to overcome those factors and more to achieve sustainable, long-term success... and that’s just not going to happen.

It’s simply a loser’s culture there - academically, athletically, and socially - and that will never change. “The University of Second Choice” sums the school and the football program up perfectly. Based on years of personal observation... anyone who would make it their first choice has a fatal flaw of one kind or another.

They have a foundation

Nov 25, 2020, 9:47 AM

of 2 and 3 star players. I think that place is a real hard sell. They need to develop a reputation for graduating their people, putting them in the NFL and generally being a happy environment which I think it is not.

One of their many problems....

Nov 25, 2020, 10:14 AM

is there's nothing special about them.

They have a history built largely on failure.

Academically, they are a third-tier school at best.

They are surrounded by a whole bunch of other schools that are better both academically and athletically

The vast majority of their fans are trashy and mouthy and have a reputation for being the most ignorant and deluded in all of sports.

They are known more for what happens in the stands and at tailgates than for what happens on the field.

The stadium is located in the middle of an industrial wasteland surrounded by homeless vagrants, drug houses, and crack hos.

uof6c is also known as a coaching graveyard.

Nov 25, 2020, 10:21 AM

HTH

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 25, 2020, 1:29 PM

They make their female fans cry out for "More ####"! how can you be successful behind the trash dumpster with that on your lips?

Nov 25, 2020, 1:36 PM

Nothing at all is wrong with them. They do what coots do. Suck. Been sucking for over 100 years.

As a recruit, would would be interested in going somewhere that

Nov 25, 2020, 4:58 PM

Has no history or tradition?
Has a stupid chicken for a mascot?
Plays barnyard sounds during the games?
Has a high school-esk gameday entrance?
Has the trashiest fans known to the sport?

Its really not rocket science!

Nov 25, 2020, 7:55 PM

I do think we can all agree they do have the best entrance in college football. I mean, they start playing the Ric Flair theme song. Then they've got the guy over here dressed in a chicken costume in a stripper cage. And then they run out through smoke like a lot of high school teams. What could possibly top that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic