Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about recruiting in serious...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Serious question about recruiting in serious...

Feb 4, 2016, 10:54 AM

Is it possible that some of these kids, like Turner who is unrated by every service, are not rated because his family did not get involved with these "recruiting agents?"

That stuff can get very expensive (I know with my son). I find it hard to imagine a lot of kids' families being able to afford that, but I guess once you get on the radar, you start getting noticed.

I understand a lot of recruiting is done through high school coaches, but there has to be more promotion.

I'm wondering, because his film looks pretty good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about recruiting in serious...

Feb 4, 2016, 10:57 AM

I'd like to hope not, but with recruiting being big business these days it wouldn't surprise me to an extent.

If he was a 5* guy he'd be rated by every service. Being a 2-3* guy and not "playing ball" with the services could've cost him a rating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

FWIW

Feb 4, 2016, 10:58 AM

we chose not to deal with that stuff. I couldn't see throwing down that money for work that we could do on our own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FWIW

Feb 4, 2016, 11:00 AM

camping is the big thing these day it seems. Show up to enough camps and show out and you're guaranteed some offers/attention.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Feb 4, 2016, 11:05 AM [ in reply to FWIW ]

just curious and I'm sure you may have shared at some time. What position was your son playing and did he get to play college ball?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 11:11 AM

he is a senior this year.

He is a pitcher/infielder. Of course, this is his dad talking...He is the ace and the best fielder on the team. Has a great head for the game.

When he was younger, he wanted to play at Clemson. His problem is he isn't real motivated in the classroom and, in my opinion, hasn't pushed himself enough athletically because he has always been better than those on his team. If he had gone to another high school, that wouldn't have been the case.

His classroom work is why we, with great grief, did not pour a bunch of money into the recruiting process. He will play at a JuCo next year. I hope he matures and gets another opportunity.

Feb 4, 2016, 11:20 AM

Like you said, he probably missed having others on the team to push him. That may change when he gets to College and is around kids as talented a he is and he has to fight for a starting spot.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 11:26 AM

Since baseball recruiting is different (teams usually get the spots set a year before), I have pushed him since his freshman year, "You do your part, put in the effort, then I will do whatever it takes to help you get a baseball scholarship."

It hurts me, but I see no reason to break the bank and invest more effort than he does. I hate that, more than likely, he'll look back and think he wasted something special.

Re: FWIW***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:28 AM

I get the frustration. But, and I'm sure you've thought

Feb 4, 2016, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: FWIW ]

this how many kids even get to play for a JuCo? A lot of wannabees out there. That is legit. Hope he plays really well and gets a look. College is a time of figuring out where your drive is. I'm not that athletic, but kind of goofed off a little my first year and then did really well the next 3. Didn't get into medical school right away b/c of it. But stuck with it and am now a practicing physician. My point is not to tell you that as much as that if this is his desire, he still has the opportunity to reach his dreams. And, I congratulate him for playing for a JuCo. Again, not everyone gets to do even that.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meant to finish with Good Luck franc's son!! Go get 'em!!***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:37 AM

nm

did not intend for that to be...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:43 AM [ in reply to I get the frustration. But, and I'm sure you've thought ]

bash my kid.

I'm very proud of him and he knows it. He is a better PERSON than I was at his age.

didn't take it that way--Agan, wish him luck***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:46 AM

nm

thanks***

Feb 4, 2016, 12:17 PM

Feb 4, 2016, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: FWIW ]

I played Juco baseball myself, and the competition is still pretty dang good. It's still college baseball so tell him to work hard and bust his butt!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2016, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: FWIW ]

Don't get down on yourself. I've known more than one incredible baseball players with different stories. The best one of all of them never made it past his sophomore year at a juco before deciding baseball wasn't his passion anymore. He then transferred to Clemson bc that's where he wanted his education. Would have loved to have played for them but went to a juco instead so he could get the PT. His parents put a moderate amount into his recruitment and it landed no more than a juco spot. After was all said and done his dad was glad they didn't go all out on recruiting bc the kid walked away anyway. But, now he has an organic chemistry degree from CU... So, winner winner chicken dinner lol.

Baseball is an uglier beast than football in recruiting in my opinion. There are so many great baseball players that never make it and I'm not sure why. But deciding to pour a vast amount of resources, no resources, or a modest amount of resources in the hopes of getting seen by the right people is a tough needle to thread.

Best of luck to your son!

Feb 4, 2016, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: FWIW ]

did he play any big time travel ball? That seems to be dang near a must these days for big time baseball recruiting.

he has played on a few but not as much as others....

Feb 4, 2016, 11:34 AM

Part of this is because we have 4 kids and we had to make some decisions on what was best for the family. Money wasn't the issue because his grandfather would have done whatever it took to make it happen.

Re: he has played on a few but not as much as others....

Feb 4, 2016, 11:38 AM

it's definitely time consuming.

Feb 4, 2016, 10:58 AM

Lots of the recruiting starts when kids go to off-season position camps and 7-on-7 football camps. They start getting noticed and the more they go to the better they become and the more hype there is about them...

good point...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:01 AM

hadn't thought about that. That in itself can become kind of expensive I guess.

I know in baseball, there are a lot of colleges that host showcases, but they seem to be little more than a way for them to make money. I haven't heard many people get bites from those things.

baseball is a different monster as i'm sure you know...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:36 AM

travel teams have become a thing in baseball and some/many of the olympic sports.

the 7v7s fill a good bit of this, but happen in the summer; some kids play numerous sports, so them choosing earlier what they might want to do becomes important.

the academies come into play as well, but again we're talking $s unless you're andre agassi and bollettieri sends your dad his money back.

True, The 7 on 7 camps are now the lifeblood for

Feb 4, 2016, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about recruiting in serious... ]

skill players.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Franc I didn't know you were capable of the sirius, but this

Feb 4, 2016, 11:04 AM

is a well constructed argument. I do think that most of the stars now are getting better. But I certainly think there are some out there who don't get noticed who will outperform others. Hunter Renfrow comes to mind though he really doesn't have that typical size and speed. He does have the work ethic and heart. So, yes, I do think there are some who slip through. And agree with other poster with all the allstar games, camps, etc. they are a self feeding type of thing. If you do well, you get invited, then you get more and more notice etc. Meanwhile there are kids out there just doing their thing who will do well. Would love to hear more about your kid, not in a creepy way but hope he did or is doing well (sorry if this has been addressed in the past and I missed it). I think our staff is good at looking at kids and identifying ability that doesn't show in stars. But, we have legitimate 4 and 5 star talent too. Love that Hunter played in place of Cain (don't want to over do that, I'm thinking Cain missing out on the NC game was self punishing and hoping he comes out of the gates at full speed this year) and scored TDs over a 5 star. That made me so happy (not the Cain thing but the HR thing). Go Tigers!!

Tiger Woods******

Feb 4, 2016, 11:06 AM

i know the camps are important, they cost money...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:07 AM

the hudls help along with their high schools. the relationships built at the college recruiter - high school level are huge for those kids that haven't gotten the looks they might deserve[numerous reasons].

coach salmon had to send 8mm of me to all the area schools; that's not address, clicky, send kind of stuff.

if you just read up on a guy like tanner muse and his rise, it's a good look into how things can start to happen and happen quickly.

Feb 4, 2016, 11:10 AM

Absolutely it is... If you're not paying $50k through high school to travel and have your child attend all the camps, get laser-times, seen by analysts / scouts, etc., it's MUCH harder to get unanimously high ratings. They had a whole segment on this two weeks ago on real sports I believe... One woman said it cost her like $20k a year to travel and attend all the camps with her son. Recruiting is a huge business.

besides the ridiculous amount of money is the time...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:14 AM

families with more than one kid can really pull themselves apart doing this.

Re: besides the ridiculous amount of money is the time...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:26 AM

the kids in my area are told if the don't play travel ball they won't get noticed and therefore won't get any serious D1 offers - Brainwashed I say, but is the way of the world these days. Expensive and definitely a moneymaker for somebody!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a lot of truth to that...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:37 AM

but who you know can help too. Get the right person to notice you helps.

I sure it would be news I'd a 40yr old strange man played pillow fight with him***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:27 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Its all about how many SEC offers you have...

Feb 4, 2016, 11:35 AM

And I've got a really good example too. There's a 2017 OL by the name of Alex Leatherwood who was ranked as a 3* guy just a while back. Not even in ESPN's top 250. Alabama offered, he gave a verbal and look at where they have him now....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/210434/alex-leatherwood

Ridiculous ain't it. And FWIW, 247 didn't sell out, yet. They still have him as a 3* prospect. FSU is trying really hard to flip him. If they do, I'll bet his ESPN ranking plummets.

I've seen this too, can be subtle. Just moving one star up

Feb 4, 2016, 11:43 AM

or down that could be a swing btw a 3 and 5. It's all a self-fulfilling prophecy from upping or lowering stars to preseason ranking where 7 teams in SEC are in the top 10 (exaggerating for effect) and then #2 plays #3 and 3 wins so they must be the best team in the nation, only to find out that number 2 actually sucks balls this year, but 2 only falls a little bc its 3 and 3 moves up to 2 or 1. Wow, my logic is dizzying.

Re: Serious question about recruiting in serious...***

Feb 4, 2016, 11:39 AM

Feb 4, 2016, 12:05 PM

You nailed it. A lot of these ratings services are very subjective and "weighted" politically and how do I know this ?/ because having been involved with HS /NFL ( 30 years) many of those services would ask us or others our opinions on a kid . There is a lot of that going on and a kid almost had to go to X amount of camps and even do certain promos in certain gear and have key relationships as a High School coach with motivation and some clout can up the rankings with certain groups. This is why you see kids like Nolan fly under the radar . Same thing happened to Tanner he is every bit the 4/5 star but they did not play that game ( great family btw) he is a beast and will play on Sunday's if not a Baseball Career . Same thing with Austin Jackson as many of the better schools do not want to see kids like these become high profile targets as the great coaches that can find " gems" under ranked can win out with " secret weapons" . Do rankings matter yes they do but are their kids like the Steph Curry's and Russell Wilson's others ) Nolan) out their oh yes indeed and give William C Swinney credit for looking beyond the rankings. I had a young man who played with a godson of mine he had no rankings had no stars only a last min scholarship offer - he was recruited to because a friend made a call - that kid is now a man and a legend headed to the Hall of Fame his name is Drew Bree's ..

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic