Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about Fiesta Bowl and OSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Serious question about Fiesta Bowl and OSU?

Dec 19, 2019, 9:32 PM

What is the strategy for dealing with Chase Young, OSU's All-American DE. He has 16.5 sacks and is a legitimate 1st rounder. Do we move away from him? Can't double team him all game. What would you suggest to deal with this guy? That is, besides Ackrum carrying a .38 caliber in his jock strap?

What are your thoughts?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about Fiesta Bowl and OSU?

Dec 19, 2019, 9:36 PM

I’m not that worried about him. Trevor gets rid of the ball very quickly.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2019, 9:36 PM

If I were coach, and I’m not, I would block him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2019, 10:05 PM

It’s illegal for the coach to block him, or even be on the field. That would be a penalty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dec 19, 2019, 9:39 PM

I think finding out what BV has planned will be worth the cost of the entire trip. It will also be worth every penny of his salary! This is the moment that he was made for!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2019, 9:47 PM

Similar concerns against 'Bammer last year and they never touched Trevor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2019, 10:24 PM

First of all, I think Jackson is going to take on this challenge and give CY all he can handle.
They move him around a lot, so one thing you can do is rollout away from him.
The second is double team him with the TE or the RB.
The third is quick throws
Finally, you can run right at him and drive block his ### into oblivion.

TL is pretty good throwing on the move, wouldn't be

Dec 19, 2019, 10:27 PM

surprised if we put him on the roll out much more away from the pressure side...that said, i think Jackson Carman is up to the task and we'll likely see some chips from the backs and TEs

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TL is pretty good throwing on the move, wouldn't be

Dec 20, 2019, 1:51 PM

And one challenge with that approach: ETN is not the best blocker. It is the one part of his game that is a glaring weakness. It would be best to prioritize our TEs for this. They don’t catch a lot of passes in our offensive scheme anyway.

Gosh, I hope our coaching staff reads these boards. Do they realize the brilliant insights they would gain? I’m a little surprised that some of us haven’t been approached already for potential coaching roles.

Dec 19, 2019, 10:31 PM

Can't double team him all game.

If you're not rolling away from Young, you gotta double him. Only exception being a play that gets the ball out of his hands quickly. He's really an incredible DE and needs to be treated as such.

Runa away from him.

Dec 19, 2019, 11:43 PM

Luckily we have a very smart QB who can make good decisions and get rid of the ball quickly.

Dec 20, 2019, 12:23 AM

As you mentioned, you double him at times, You run away from him at times. And others, you run straight at him. These will all be experiments to try to gauge success. You can’t make him the complete center of your game plan because the rest of their defensive front is formidable also. Some quick passes, before he can get momentum.

Dec 20, 2019, 12:56 AM

He dominated average and slow competition...and I don't believe he was the unstoppable force when they played decent teams (albeit first game against UW, but I would argue that's an OL used to big slow competition and weren't ready for him). He's a terrific player don't get me wrong, but like someone else said, he ain't something we've not seen before...and more importantly, he's one...Bama, even ND, had multiple guys like him we had to deal with.

I disagree on a couple of points you made

Dec 20, 2019, 9:11 AM

Wisconsin is a team that relies heavily on having a great OL. In that first Wisconsin game he had 6 solo tackles, 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. Against PSU he had 5 solo tackles, 4 assists, 3 sacks and 1 forced fumble. Michigan was able to hold him in check by double teaming him, but that allowed his teammates along the DL and the LBs to dominate that game. So in the big games they had, Chase Young played very well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I disagree on a couple of points you made

Dec 20, 2019, 2:03 PM

Regarding the Wisconsin game - yes, Young had a breakout game. Got him on the national map.

And Wisky does have a great OL. But, that’s in one regard: running the ball. Their line is huge. Year in and year out they are one of the biggest in CF. But they are also very slow. OSU dared them to beat them by throwing the ball. It worked. They were exposed for being ineffective at throwing. This allowed OSU to stack the front. They stopped the run. Getting into obvious passing downs created a field day for Young. The Wisky size was no match for his quickness.

Granted we are worlds better at throwing the ball than a Wisconsin but it is also crtitical that we be able to run some. We cannot be afford to one dimensional. I’m guessing that OSU schemes this the opposite of the Wis game. They overload against our passing game, betting that they are good enough to stop our run with just a four man front.

Dec 20, 2019, 11:41 AM

We don’t need to do anything special to neutralize him. Just play straight up tiger football. To change schemes to neutralize one player is to feed into the myth that the player can’t be stopped. As Dabo always says, “just be who we are.” Clemson is built to handle these moments.

Dec 20, 2019, 2:19 PM

I don't disagree, but BV does scheme for individual players. We saw it against both ND and Bama last year, with tremendous results. I sat next to a Golden Domer at the Cotton Bowl last year, and he said that he had never seen such a sophisticated and coordinated defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2019, 2:51 PM

That’s great, but we’re talking about a player on OSU’s D. BV, as great as he is, isn’t going to do much there.

Galloway

Dec 20, 2019, 2:17 PM

I think having Galloway back could be key. Chalk is a good blocker, but Galloway is a an excellent blocker.

Dec 20, 2019, 2:29 PM

Jackson Carman will eat Young’s lunch. OSU coaching staff will have to line him up on TA to expect to draw a double team. This game won’t be close either way.

The Old Strategy

Dec 20, 2019, 4:10 PM

run right at him!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic