Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class

Feb 2, 2017, 10:18 PM

R Tannehill went #8 in the 2011 NFL draft. His last year, he threw 29TDs 15INT and finished with a 7-6 record as a starter. Nobody said anything about his picks, but its a big deal for DW4 who won a championship, played 2 more games and threw much more TDs in a similar offense?

Kizer's team finished 4-8 and he got benched this year. Name me one successful NFL QB that was picked in the 1st round with a record that poor and/or was benched for poor play the year they came out? Jay Cutler's the only 1st rd QB in recent memory with a losing record his final year at 5-6 (but he understandably played at Vandy not perennial power ND).

Trubisky has just one year as a starter. Name me one successful NFL QB picked in the 1st round that only had 1 year as a starter on the college level (even Cam had 2 yrs despite one of those being in Junior College)? The closest answer is Tannehill but I wouldn't exactly call him a successful QB.

The fact of the matter is that most of the top QBs have credentials more like DW4 than these other guys.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class

Feb 2, 2017, 10:36 PM

They can't get over the failures of Vince Young and RG III and because he is black and can run they can't see the forest through the trees

Feb 2, 2017, 11:34 PM

His race has nothing to do with it, Cam Newton was the 1st overall pick and he was a running QB.

When your going to spend that kinda money on a QB you look at everything, because if you make a mistake it'll cost you your job.

OP look at Tom Brady I think he only started in college 1 year.

Brady was a 6th rounder though. No one

Feb 3, 2017, 12:12 AM

saw what he would become. Which I guess is kind of illuminating about NFL scouting, which is particularly poor when it comes to QB. Sure a guy like Peyton Manning was obvious, but Ryan Leaf was very close to him in evaluation. You think some teams from last year would like to pick Dak Prescott?

Especially with spread QB's, the NFL is still very poor at evaluation. With DW, I personally think he blows teams away at the combine and his stock soars. Not just with his skills and athleticism, but in his one-on-one's with teams. Deshaun has traits you can't teach, and he has them substantially more than any other QB in the draft

I specifically said 1st rd ie. M. Sanchez, Akili Smith, etc.

Feb 3, 2017, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class ]

Nobody is suggesting that Trubisky shouldn't be drafted, but they are talking about him going top 3. None of those kind of guys have succeeded. At least Sanchez and Smith were on highly successful college teams. Trubisky went 8-5 and his team finished unranked.

Remember it's guys like Kiper and McShay talking him up

Feb 3, 2017, 9:12 AM

teams don't say much. And Trubisky measured barely 6'1. That most likely hurts him

Feb 3, 2017, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class ]

His race has nothing to do with it, Cam Newton was the 1st overall pick and he was a running QB.

When your going to spend that kinda money on a QB you look at everything, because if you make a mistake it'll cost you your job.

OP look at Tom Brady I think he only started in college 1 year.

Feb 3, 2017, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class ]

I think Vince Young and RG3's failures are/were between the ears, not necessarily talent. Vince Young just couldn't take the pressure and RG3 apparently doesn't take criticism/coaching well. DW won't have any of those problems. He's as can't miss a prospect as I've seen in my opinion.

Feb 3, 2017, 1:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Scouts seem to be over-thinking this year's NFL QB class ]

Yea this is so dumb because DW4 has nothing in common with either of those players.

He can spin it WELL. Young and RG3 never threw it very well. They were both a lot more mobile than DW4 as well.

Just completely different players

Feb 3, 2017, 7:20 AM

It's almost as if it's a black think with Watson, it's ridiculous!! He's the best by far this year! Lamar robbed him against much less teams, sad the sales job the media put on after the 'cuse game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic