Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scale 1-10, how crucial is beating ND in Tiger history?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Scale 1-10, how crucial is beating ND in Tiger history?

Dec 8, 2020, 5:46 PM

Given the stakes and the circumstances, is this game a “10” in importance for the program?

If we lose, we’re almost certainly out of the playoff.

If we lose, ND gets to crow about how they waltzed for one in and kicked the ACCs tail.

After working for 20 years to finally arrive at our position as ACC kingpin, we can’t miss the playoff and let ND claim the title.

Clemson and ACC credibility are at stake.

I think beating Notre Dame is a level “10” must ...

Agree? Disagree?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't look at it as that critical. Yes, it would hurt, but

Dec 8, 2020, 5:53 PM

the sun would still come up the next day. It is really a lot more important for Notre Dame's validation for them to win than it is for us at this point in time. They lose this time around, the narrative that the first win was just a Covid Fluke will be permanently engraved. We lose, it's just a semifinal capper to a Covid Crappy Year. We would still come back and destroy whoever we played in a New Years Six bowl game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get'er done, period!!!

Dec 8, 2020, 6:06 PM

As a student, I was at the '81 game in Miami and after a bit of a wait was blessed to witness '16 and '18 with my wife and kids! After the last two, I said I didn't care what happened going forward as three nattys was more than I ever dreamed of in my lifetime!!
Having said that, this is obviously a BIG game, but losing won't derail Clemson's current glide path in college football. It's been a strange year obviously, as without this silly virus, we'd be 9-0 and ND 8-1!
The pressure is squarely on the leprechauns shoulders and I have the utmost confidence in Dabo and Brent with two weeks to prep!!
Gut says Tigers prevail by 10+ and we enter the playoffs again, continuing an unprecedented run!!

Go Tigers!!!

Re: Scale 1-10, how crucial is beating ND in Tiger history?

Dec 8, 2020, 6:00 PM

Is it a 10 as far as a must win for Clemson legacy... absolutely not. If we lose and don't get in the playoff or win but don't win the whole thing, to me the perception is the same. A good season with a final Top 10 ranking.

I hate the fact that ND could win the ACC while not really being in the conference as much as anyone but our opinion of that does not change the perception of the program.

All that said; screw Notre Dame. Let's again go win the ACC and win another natty.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are the better team so we should win but we

Dec 8, 2020, 6:08 PM

don’t need it at all for the Clemson legacy.

null

Winning the ND game is important, but

Dec 8, 2020, 6:08 PM

is it really any more important than winning any other game? We've won so consistently for the past 7-8 years that winning every week is a 10 on the "importance scale." We are expected to win them all! And it's really nice that we (almost) always live up to expectations!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The NEXT game is always the most important one, per Dabo

Dec 8, 2020, 6:09 PM

and the team. You can therefore bet that the game is a '10' to them, and us.

Personally, I hate ND and the fact that John Wussy was willing to get a partial membership, much less, pulling their fat out of the fire this year. They have been, and always be just about themselves. I have more respect for turds than I have for ND. Ol' dog ones, stuck to the bottom of your shoe. :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The NEXT game is always the most important one, per Dabo

Dec 8, 2020, 6:16 PM

I would say a Top 25-30 Historical game because it is ND and ACC CG. Maybe an 8 of 10.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe a 6 or 7?

Dec 8, 2020, 6:13 PM

Reasons it's important:
It's one of our preseason goals
It keeps our season going
We defeat a team ranked higher than us
We save face by righting a wrong from earlier in the season (VERY RARE OPPORTUNITY)
We defeat the #2 team in the country
We possibly improve our standing for the Playoff
It's a legendary football program we're facing
Keep on winning, keep on recruiting
Two of our greatest players of all time came back to finish this season in the right way
Would be able to make the playoffs for the sixth time (it is six, correct?)
Really big picture: Who knows what tomorrow brings for you, or for the team, or for football? Screw it, let's win now!

Reasons it's not that important:
We have a great program, foundationally strong.
We look good for next year, too.

It'll hurt to not win this one, because it ends our playoff hopes, and we'll always have that bad taste in our mouths from the first ND matchup knowing we weren't at 100% and knowing we needed to get just one first down to seal it. But, looking at the Alabama squad this year, beating ND wouldn't be our final goal. An unattended bowl that means nothing is gonna sting this year for our guys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe a 6 or 7?

Dec 8, 2020, 6:46 PM

WE BEAT N/D (and) FLA OUTSCORES AL...The Tigers goes into the playoff ranked #1, FL #2,
AL #3 and someone else, but NO O/State......

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The Fun is In The Winning!!!!!!

Dec 8, 2020, 6:24 PM

Let's make history and be legendary in winning the natty in the year 2020 (aka covid19 Wuhan Virus year)!!!!

That means we must beat the leprechauns, the most important game on our schedule now!!!!

Re: The Fun is In The Winning!!!!!!

Dec 8, 2020, 6:35 PM

I say it’s a solid 9! You can not allow ND to win the ACC the only year they compete for a conf championship. Also add another ACC Championship and keep the steak of CFP appearances and a shot at another National Championship!

Re: The Fun is In The Winning!!!!!!

Dec 8, 2020, 6:53 PM

It's pretty dang important. Historic with ND being the opponent. This year it will probably be the most watched regular season game. That has tremendous effects in varied ways.

Dec 8, 2020, 6:56 PM

A 10 in my book. being Notre Dame, CFP at stake, ACC title, Nd is tied with OSU as my 2nd least favorite team, and they beat us earlier.

Message was edited by: Go Tigers!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 6:58 PM

110?

ND in an "experimental year" can not be allow to one-and-done the ACC trophy. Especially at the hands of the ACC historical champion.

Dec 8, 2020, 10:23 PM

I say 5. 10 years ago, would have been a different story, but we are proven now. If we lose to a better ND team, so be it. We will be back next year.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, ND will not be in the ACC next year.

Dec 9, 2020, 12:46 AM

That’s why I consider it a “10” in urgency.

If ND were a conference member instead of a one-year interloper, it wouldn’t be so serious.

Sure, we can get back to the CFP next year, but ND will have put us and the ACC in our place.

That cannot happen.

Re: But, ND will not be in the ACC next year.

Dec 9, 2020, 7:02 AM

Everything u just said. While I agree with others about an asterisk year, not ND. Personally probably 998. Only 2 teams I hate more are o41o and uga.

Since ND is considered close associated to b1g, I think it's important for us to win, and win handily. Grown accustomed to Clemson/Bama and every one else.

Think it's important for Trevor too. Reestablish the cred as the ??

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 5:02 AM

To me it’s a 9 (10 reserved for Nattys) and it has nothing to do with ND being the opponent.

In this season there’s no guarantee any bowl game outside of the CFP even gets played so it may be the only opportunity to get to 10 wins and keep that streak going.

It could be Trevor and Travis last game as a Tiger - you want a loss in the ACCCG to be their last game? Not me.

As others have said it’s the next game on the schedule so it’s the most important. You get a trophy and a ring for winning it to boot. Dabo’s program really likes trophies and rings.

You make the CFP if you win and that keeps that streak alive and they hang another banner in the indoor practice facility for that.

Best is the Standard and this team has maybe played one game - GA Tech - where they played their best football. Miami would have been close except for the kicks getting blocked and resulting in a TD on one. They need to go out and lay down some excellent football and put a cap on 2020.

3. It matters but this is 2020.

Dec 9, 2020, 6:39 AM

Huge asterisk for this whole season due to COVID. Small asterisk next year too bc likely no real spring practice.

I mean, ND is in the ACC this year, OSU may play 5 games, some in the Pac12 may play 3 or 4. This season is just a glorified jamboree.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2020, 6:53 AM

1. Completely non important for the trajectory of the program. It's important for this season only. The program is already at the top with Bama and will remain there.

What about pride? Is that not on the line? If we call ACC

Dec 9, 2020, 3:03 PM

home, aren’t we obligated to protect our home against an interloper?

If not, we need not pretend the ACC title carries any weight.

Maybe it doesn’t, but the ND fans will never let us forget about it if we lose.

I agree about the overall trajectory of the program. But losing the conference title this particular season will leave a stain, no doubt about it.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic