Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M

Feb 5, 2021, 9:39 AM

Numbers are beginning to trickle in for conference payouts (fiscal year 2019-20, not 2020-21). Good news: the ACC is up to $32M per school! Bad news: the SEC is paying out $45M per school.

Estimated 2019-20 Conference Payouts
SEC: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
ACC: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

FWIW, the ACC payout is now 71% of the SEC payout, and the gap is about $13 M/year.

see also https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2021/02/sec-payout-45M-acc-32M.html

The gap doesn't seem to be hurting Clemson yet, but at what point does it hurt?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M

Feb 5, 2021, 9:49 AM

USuC needs it. Cusschamp and all of his coaches have their hands out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That 13 million difference is often eaten up in the SEC due

Feb 5, 2021, 9:57 AM

to the intra-conference competitive mindset. Rarely is an SEC team in a stable position where they aren't paying multiple coaches to not coach their team.

Bama really benefits from this, stability-wise. They surpass the other schools in individual revenue as well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

First of all, I can't thank you enough for the graphic

Feb 5, 2021, 9:53 AM

with the series of $'s next to each conference. I mean, I read the numbers, but those $'s really bring this information into focus.

Second...meh. How do we compare across the other conferences?

The SEC has consistently made more money than the ACC - but that's not why Bama is so good and that's not why LSU caught lightening last year. Very few ACC programs are a shambles to the level of Tennessee or South Carolina, or as rudderless as Vandy.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2017/08/which_schools_spend_the_most_on_college_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

I'm confident that Clemson will do fine due to leadership and culture (and of course, we do spend a ton of money). I'm confident some of the other ACC teams will as well. Those big SEC checks just seem to turn into huge buyouts of failed coaches and the hiring guys like Shane Beamer to rebuild the program.

null

Well...they do need it...

Feb 5, 2021, 9:57 AM

to offset some of their ill-advised coaching decisions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Well...they do need it...goes beyond that

Feb 5, 2021, 10:45 AM

Paying Fulmer to retire given what he presided over is insane. He should get what Pruitt got. Walking papers and show the door.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm betting Pruitt sues over his termination for cause.***

Feb 5, 2021, 11:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

this ^^^^

Feb 6, 2021, 6:17 AM [ in reply to Well...they do need it... ]

doesn't seem like SEC is spending money very wisely on coaches. I'm not sure the money is an advantage at all, if you are just going to pay coaches to NOT coach.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2021, 10:03 AM

Aren't these numbers from last summer?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2020/07/10/power-five-conference-revenue-fiscal-year-2019/5414405002/

BTW, Big Ten at $55 million per school

Feb 5, 2021, 10:03 AM

Just another reason to watch ACC network with only others when an acc team plays. The less attention given to other conferences that make more money because of bigger contracts the earlier we get a better payday. It is mind bottling to me how many people pay attention to other conferences.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2021, 10:12 AM

Nail, meet hammer!

Feb 5, 2021, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M ]

Agree. The ACC needs the revenue generated from the ACCN to help bridge the gap with the SEC. This is hindered by the fact that the network is not available on COMCAST and other cable providers.

Feb 5, 2021, 12:17 PM

Hopefully, the new ACC commissioner will work on lessening that gap.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Feb 7, 2021, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M ]

It’s part of Hulu plus.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2021, 9:13 AM [ in reply to Re: SEC to pay $45M, GT says ACC to pay $32M ]

And this is why I turn on the ACC network when I leave the house. It plays in the background to keep the dog entertained. You should all be doing this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That increase to the ACC schools...

Feb 5, 2021, 11:44 AM

will make for some mighty nice basketball locker rooms to just about ever school in the conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2021, 12:11 PM

I read all the replies, and no matter what, the bottom line is, it just really isn't right/fair. For the last several years, Clemson's TV rating for games has been right there with any other school, and has reached record breaking games viewed. Clemson, it's about time for some renegotiations with the TV viewing contracts, if Notre Dame can do it, so can Clemson. We all know that our conference leaders are weak as water when it comes to getting what the conference also deserves with FB. That's most likely why the ACC is weak with FB, bc ACC schools can't afford FB the same way as other conference being paid more to build better for their FB programs. If ND can sell their TV rights for more, and still be in the ACC with all other sports, why can't Clemson do the very same thing???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2021, 1:24 PM

If certain schools are not going to compete in football, they should be non-football members like Notre Dame: give them a 20% share of the TV contract and only play them 5 games per year! (Who really wants to play Duke in football anyway?)

That's a whole lot of extra McDonalds bags!

Feb 5, 2021, 1:00 PM

:(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At this rate I don’t think Clemson will be able to keep up..

Feb 5, 2021, 2:00 PM

with SCofU much longer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Don't we still owe Tommy Bowden another 3 million?

Feb 5, 2021, 2:04 PM

I would not be surprised if we ended up having to let some more coaches go.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic