Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC bias at its finest
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,511

SEC bias at its finest

Nov 15, 2019, 9:17 AM

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/weeklyscenario111519/alabama-loss-actually-gives-sec-better-chance-two-playoff-teams

Cant believe there still pushing this crap.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SEC bias at its finest

Nov 15, 2019, 9:25 AM

I can believe it that they are still pushing this crap. They have been doing it every year since ESPN signed the big $ contract with the SEC. Gotta protect that investment and try and get an ROI. The biggest farce was when last year GA lost to AL in the conference championship game and Herbstreit tried to say that GA should move up a spot in the ranking. Dumbest thing I have ever heard. He is usually pretty level headed but he must have been drinking that night

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2019, 9:27 AM

I think had to say that crap about UGA being included in the CFP just to keep his job. No way a level-headed guy like Kirk could get that dumb overnight without pressure.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2019, 9:32 AM

There should be a limit of one team per conf in CFP so this stupid junk doesnt happen. It is one of my arguments against 8 because then they'll put 3-4 SEC teams in there. I also dont like rankings till mid season because they inflate the Fla Auburn- esque team ratings and then keep them there regardless of losses

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea...it would have to be structured to prevent that...

Nov 15, 2019, 10:36 AM

Take the five conference champions and make them automatic qualifiers for the CFP. The CFP Committee then has the discretion to select three "at-large" teams. However, no two at-large selections can come from the same conference. Therefore, the total number of teams any one conference can get in the playoffs each year is two. This would eliminate A LOT of the bull$#!7.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 15, 2019, 10:19 AM

I've tried researching who/what exactly the "CFP" is and it's extremely murky. Is it a for-profit business? A non-profit? I've seen videos (and on that 150 thing the other night) where they showed the BCS people announcing the CFP and how great it would be for the sport - is it the same people as the BCS? Owned by ESPN?

The reason that got me looking into it is how ESPN sandwiches the Playoff Selections in the middle of basketball games and things. That should be public knowledge, IMO. It'd be like having a presidential election and CNN buying the rights to it and then deciding they'd announce the results live on Don Lemon's show or something. And every week, they'll always have some announcement "We're seeing the results at the same time you are.." - no you're not. They were emailed in hours ago and you've been sitting on them all day.

So, with that, I've tried to understand it better and how their relationship with ESPN works. I haven't gotten very far, and I think that's intentional. If I had to guess, their (CFP) partnership with ESPN is a lot more cozy than it seems. With everything they have at stake, they should be more transparent with everything and how their money is generated. Is it solely from ESPN? If not, where else do they get revenue?

Anyway, sorry for the rant - but from what I can tell, it's shady as h3ll and even as questionable as it is, we can't ask anything, for fear of rocking the boat and then taking a hit in the rankings.

Welcome to the $EC, where a loss is as good as a win***

Nov 15, 2019, 10:24 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Bias at its finest and not taking comments is the smartest

Nov 15, 2019, 10:34 AM

thing they could do... LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2019, 10:40 AM

What is the issue? I tend to agree with the article. Even the most likely scenario they mentioned they say it's a 24% chance which is low. The 4th spot is wide open...

SEC champ
ACC champ (assuming clemson wins out)
Big ten champ
4th spot?? (big 12, Pac 12 champ, second SEC or BIG champ)

If UGA wins out they're in. In that scenario LSU would get the nod over bama because of head to head and then they would be compared to the other conference champs.

Assuming LSU wins out - Bama at 11-1 would be compared to potentially 1 loss Big 12 champ, 1 loss pac 12 champ, or maybe a 2nd team out of big ten. Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, and Bama have played comparable schedules, the difference would be championship vs eye test

It is still wide open.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,511
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic