Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some observations on this Trump "leak" to Russia...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Some observations on this Trump "leak" to Russia...

May 16, 2017, 2:54 PM

I've read a number of pieces on this and I believe the Post broke the story?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-revealed-highly-classified-information-to-russian-foreign-minister-and-ambassador/2017/05/15/530c172a-3960-11e7-9e48-c4f199710b69_story.html?utm_term=.7dcd993e712e

I'm struck by the use of unnamed former US officials who seemed to be taken at their word that they know the contents of the meeting and are very concerned about the impact of what Trump told the Russians, that they feel compelled to speak out on it.

Apparently so concerned that they want to make a private meeting public.

They are so concerned that Russia would be able to learn which country is our source and concerned that this country will stop working with us...that they want everyone in the world to know. You know...because it will be bad if the source country knew Trump shared the intel.

That doesn't strike everyone as a little...um...fishy.

It's not like the whole issue of ISIS trying to use laptops to take down planes is not already public knowledge.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/01/feds-fear-terror-groups-developing-laptop-bombs-that-evade-airport-security.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4337982/Laptop-ban-based-intelligence-ISIS-plot.html

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/05/15/trumps-expected-widening-laptop-ban-has-european-airlines-worried.html

We've got the Nat Security Adviser and Sec of State saying that Trump didn't disclose sources or methods and everyone seems to think they're full of it based on un-named former US officials so concerned with our security that they went out of their way to make it all public.

We seem so quick to call respected officials liars who freely put their names to their statements in deference to "unnamed former US officials".

Just strikes me as a little odd is all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep

May 16, 2017, 2:57 PM

Must believe unnamed source over a General publicly stating its not true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McMaster isn't saying it's not true***

May 16, 2017, 3:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here is his words

May 16, 2017, 3:09 PM

McMaster was asked if he sticks by his assertion that the Post story that said the president shared classified information with the Russians is "false." He said, "I stand by my statement that I made yesterday."

He said that the premise of the story if "false" and that Trump's conversation with Russian officials last week were not "inappropriate" and didn't result in a lapse of national security.

He said that the "real issue" is that national security has been put at risk those violating confidentiality and those releasing information to the press.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right, so he didn't say Trump said nothing

May 16, 2017, 4:59 PM

He just said that what he talked about wasn't "inappropriate" and didn't involve revelation of "sources and methods." If that's the case, I don't see why somebody felt the need to leak this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Right, so he didn't say Trump said nothing

May 16, 2017, 7:10 PM

it is the always CROOKED DEMOCRATS that are trying any and everything to harm the USA just like obummer did!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YeeeeeHaaaaw!***

May 16, 2017, 7:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you can acknowledge how dumb it was...

May 16, 2017, 3:03 PM

to reveal the content that Trump revealed without also assuming he revealed "sources or methods." Revealing what he did without consent of whatever country was doing the information collecting could at least make them less likely to share with us.

I really have no idea...

May 16, 2017, 6:39 PM

Macmaster said he didn't.

It COULD make them less likely to share with us...or it COULD not. I believe it probably depends on the context, etc...

Everyone is painting Russia as our sworn enemy, but Trump is trying to work with them against a common enemy in ISIS, just as the previous POTUS did and just as Bush did re: AQ.

It sounds to me like it got out that Trump shared intel with Russia and then a lot of "experts" start expounding on it without actually being in the discussion or knowing the context or knowing how the intel was gained, etc...

The buzz now is that it came from Israel. Doesn't sound so far fetched that Israel would be ok with sharing with Russia in an effort to build closer cooperation against ISIS.

I agree that the source and the media are wrong...

May 16, 2017, 3:08 PM

and probably a bigger issue.

Trump is still also a moron and this doesn't absolve his ignorance and stupidity.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

keep this in perspective

May 16, 2017, 3:11 PM

imagine everytime Obama had a meeting and the details were leaked.

You don't think there be outrageous stuff?

Well, not from the media cause they wouldn't even publish it.

Re: Some observations on this Trump "leak" to Russia...

May 16, 2017, 3:09 PM

I have yet to see or hear anything that would have been more damning to Trump than if he had whispered to a Russian president...."I will have more flexibility after the election..."

But that was back when the Dems liked Russia***

May 16, 2017, 4:51 PM

GO TIGERS!!

I agree with you and I also agree with Trump that

May 16, 2017, 5:22 PM

we need the Ruskies with us in the war on terror, but at the same time I think Trump is somewhat of an idiot for tweeting this while surrogates are out denying it to the press.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I missed it...were surrogates denying he sharing the..

May 16, 2017, 6:34 PM

intel?

From what I saw they said he didn't compromise sources and methods.

If Russia knew about the leak of intel, and no one else,

May 16, 2017, 6:37 PM

do you see how that could put the US in another bad situation ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you please rephrase, I don't follow your question.***

May 16, 2017, 6:41 PM

If the Russians knew that trump leaked classified intel

May 16, 2017, 6:43 PM

and no one else knew, it could create a compromising situation.

I guess I have a hard time with that wording...

May 16, 2017, 6:53 PM

I think it's more proper to say that Trump decided to share the intel with the Russians, presumably to help build a better partnership with them against ISIS. It wasn't a "leak".

Who would be compromised if we all didn't know Trump told the Russians this information?

Potentially Trump.***

May 16, 2017, 6:54 PM

how?***

May 16, 2017, 6:58 PM

Similar to the Flynn situation***

May 16, 2017, 7:03 PM

No, because we're not dealing with a crime here

May 16, 2017, 7:04 PM

The president can declassify anything he wants. And Trump has come out and said that whatever was shared was stuff he thought would be helpful to a partner in fighting terrorism, so it doesn't seem like something he could be blackmailed over.

Potentially compromising. I chose my words carefully.***

May 16, 2017, 7:09 PM

It is neither compromising nor potentially compromising...

May 16, 2017, 7:14 PM

it just isn't.

Well that settles it. It just does.***

May 16, 2017, 7:16 PM

Yeah, pretty much***

May 16, 2017, 7:24 PM

The post running the story took over the narrative for

May 16, 2017, 7:29 PM

at least this week. Imagine if the story was broken by Russia.

Ok, I imagined it...no difference, except...

May 16, 2017, 8:31 PM

That it's not surprising that Russia would try to hurt the US...it should be surprising that those in our own govt want to.

Again, the potus chose to bring Russia in on Isis intel as a partner...not really news imo.

Considering all of the major details of the report turned

May 16, 2017, 8:41 PM

out to be true, to characterize this as Trump bringing Russian spies in as intel partners, seems awfully gracious. All reports were that he was boasting and went off message.

A statement from McMaster implies he didn't fully understand the intel he disclosed

No, Macmaster said Trump wasn't briefed on the source or....

May 16, 2017, 9:07 PM

method. That does not at all equate to how you said it.

He told their Foriegn Minister and Ambassador...do you really classify them as "Russian spies"? Are you sure you understand this story?

He wasn't briefed on all the intricacies of the intel but

May 16, 2017, 9:14 PM

released it anyway, which prompted calls to our intelligence agencies for damage control.

I'm not sure where I'm off base here.

You're parsing the words of someone working for Trump to discredit the semantics of the statement. Seems fanboyish.

How is it exactly you know the purpose of the calls to the..

May 16, 2017, 9:38 PM

NSA and CIA by the Nat Sec Adviser? Couldn't have been to brief them on the meeting and give them marching orders, etc... You and others take conjecture to new heights seemingly on a daily basis.

What from this report has been disproven? I'll side with a

May 16, 2017, 9:51 PM

White House explanation when they can prove some basic level of competence and trustworthiness.

This is an administration that popped its press secretarys cherry by sending him out to deliver a false statement about ####### crowd size.

on any "normal" day, what would be so scandalous...

May 16, 2017, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Similar to the Flynn situation*** ]

about this?

We've been cooperating with the Russians in regards to ISIS for some years now.

The fact of the matter is that someone within our government is trying to bring down the Presidency and willing to screw our country as a means to an end. THAT ought to be of most concern to everyone. I hope that person(s) is caught and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

Machiavelli... hmmm***

May 16, 2017, 7:15 PM

The "classified intel" was made public several days before.

May 16, 2017, 7:00 PM [ in reply to If the Russians knew that trump leaked classified intel ]

The "source" was nothing but conjecture by inference. Of course, now it's been openly revealed by the press. I think that was the intention from the start. Maybe we can appease the Israelis with an additional $Billion off the books... Anyone who thinks the Russians didn't already have a very good idea as to the source is totally naive.

By the way, Flo... I totally agree.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic