Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Reminder: 772,000 people will have a heart attack
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 701

Reminder: 772,000 people will have a heart attack

Mar 12, 2020, 7:26 AM

this year.

My thought is that we shut down all fast food restaurants and we all rush to Whole Foods and start a better life style. That will cause a temporary inconvenience to us all and toilet paper will be scarce, but we must, MUST get this under control.

Also remember that 620,000 strokes will happen this year and about 500,000 of those are first time stroke events.

But lets all freak out cause 1200 people out of 311 million have a cold that kills the elderly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Reminder: 772,000 people will have a heart attack

Mar 12, 2020, 7:35 AM

Yes and when they do, they won't be able to go to the ER because it's going to be full of people needing breathing care because of covid19. There won't be any med staff because they will be exhausted because of the huge numbers of very sick but treatable people. Or the Med staff themselves will be sick.

The nurses are going to be faced with deciding who gets to see the one Dr who is still able to work.

Or that's what's happening in Italy, right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 7:45 AM

57%

Find a new hobby.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have the solution

Mar 12, 2020, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Reminder: 772,000 people will have a heart attack ]

Lets nationalize all health care. That'll make things better

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 7:48 AM

Well I do feel like we should outlaw cigarettes.

Tigermanac, what you perhaps don't understand

Mar 12, 2020, 7:53 AM

Is that this is still very early. According to what I've heard from health experts, this thing is not even close to peaking. It's not about doing something because 1,200 people are sick. It's about doing something, because if we don't, that number WILL exponentially grow into the millions.

The swine flu, *after several months* in 2009, ended up infecting 50 million people in the US. There weren't 50 million infected in the first month. 10,000 people died, and that is terrible. With the current mortality rates of this coronavirus, if 50 million get infected, we're looking at a number more like half a million dying.

Look at the curve of cases in the US. It's an exponential curve. We've got to flatten it.

Re: Tigermanac, what you perhaps don't understand

Mar 12, 2020, 7:56 AM

Ok..........

I think it's going to be OK...

Mar 12, 2020, 8:02 AM

But not immediately. I think that the numbers will get much worse over the next few weeks, and at some point the American people will get the seriousness of it and take better precautions in terms of staying home and hygiene. That, combined, with measures already put in place to limit travel, will hopefully flatten that curve of infections.

The President is saying that the government is going to get help to people who will miss work and have big financial impacts. They're not coming up with solutions for hypothetical problems. The number of people who will not be able to go to work is going to be very large, and our government leaders know this, and they are getting ahead of it.

Re: I think it's going to be OK...

Mar 12, 2020, 8:05 AM

your whole post is basically that water is wet.

of course it will increase, of course its going to get political

but its zero reason to throw everyone into a panic

I agree there's no reason to panic.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:08 AM

I haven't observed anyone panicking, personally. But if there are people out there urging people to panic, then they need to be ignored. Now is the time for reason and seriousness.

Mar 12, 2020, 7:56 AM

Cemeteries are getting full, but people are dying to get in.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From that point of view, 9/11 wasn't a big deal at all.***

Mar 12, 2020, 8:39 AM

All of these false equivalencies aren't helping.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:41 AM

People like you are actually making this danger worse.

This is something new, unknown, and fast spreading. It has the potential to overwhelm our healthcare system, which will spell disaster. You don't have 772,000 having a heart attack at once and requiring hospitalization.

Are people going a little overboard? Sure. But comparing this to everything else and writing it off as no big deal is, at best, disingenuous, and at worse, just plain dangerous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Eh, I think we need a yin for the yang.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:48 AM

Like anything, the truth lies somewhere in the middle of it all.

Our public reactions to the virus so far (financial markets, grocery store shelves emptied, lines at gas stations, runs on Purell) have been far worse than the virus effects. If a little overconfidence in the opposite direction helps tip the scales towards balanced and measured, that’s ok.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course it does.

Mar 12, 2020, 9:07 AM

People who are stockpiling toilet paper and hand sanitizer and chicken wings (apparently there's a chicken wing shortage now?) are absurd. There is no need to panic.

But all this "It's no worse as the flu!" or "100,000 people die of #### warts every year!" kind of comments are just as absurd. They're false, and they're borderline dangerous.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

I look at it like this. If waterskipawski is wrong,

Mar 12, 2020, 9:10 AM

It’s him and his family in trouble. If the alarmists continue with their overreaction, it’s me on the Venezuelan bread lines because the shelves at my Kroger are freaking empty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bruh, you just have to...

Mar 12, 2020, 9:20 AM

Wipe your ### with the libuhrul media if you can't get anymore Charmin.

Re: All of these false equivalencies aren't helping.

Mar 12, 2020, 8:49 AM [ in reply to All of these false equivalencies aren't helping. ]

every 40 seconds is the average. The ER at your local hospital is full of people having chest pain. I mean, just saying.

How does that make anything worse?

Mar 12, 2020, 8:59 AM [ in reply to All of these false equivalencies aren't helping. ]

It doesn't sound like he's actively infecting anyone.

Pushing such a false narrative--

Mar 12, 2020, 9:09 AM

And make no mistake about it, people who write this off as less serious than the flu or drawing equivalency to something irrelevant, are lying--helps to further attitudes among the public that this isn't something to take seriously. That's how infections increase.

Re: Pushing such a false narrative--

Mar 12, 2020, 9:25 AM

Sanjay Gupta just stated that they think 70% of America will get it. Yikes!

Strokes aren't contagious, genius...***

Mar 12, 2020, 9:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think their tunes are pretty catchy.***

Mar 12, 2020, 9:30 AM

Quit playing with my words! ;~)***

Mar 12, 2020, 9:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2020, 5:45 PM

That's true. But they happen over time, aren't contagious and certainly don't spread quickly. Whatever deaths occur yearly, the deaths from the Coronavirus are more deaths. Italy had 100 people die in one day.

This is a global pandemic that has a relatively high mortality rate. Worse than that is that 25% of those infected will require hospitalization, some intensive care.

Because this happens so rapidly and spreads so quickly that's what makes it so scary.

Death and overwhelmed hospitals, not to mention crashing the global economy because of interupted supply chains is a pretty big deal.

Replies: 24
| visibility 701
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic