Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember when your parents would give you $20
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Remember when your parents would give you $20

May 18, 2020, 11:22 PM

and you could spend all day and half the night at The Pavilion and not have to worry about stupid people?

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article242831056.html

Now we have thugs blocking Ocean Blvd with golf carts shooting up the place. It would be nice if there was a virus that went around that attacked the genes of those that carry high levels of stupidity and violence traits and take them out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember when your parents would give you $20

May 18, 2020, 11:28 PM

violent crime in america has been on a downward trend for almost 20 years now. and violence is learned, very few people are born with a genetic disposition towards violence.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 11:33 PM

I never got $20. I only got $5 a week in college but beer was 35 cents then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 11:35 PM

A six pack was 2.99 at the quick trip for me. The best deal was edgars on Tuesdays with 50 cent drafts.

May 19, 2020, 12:55 AM

Remember those $2 pitchers of Natty at TTT on Friday afternoons.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and in comparison, very few people are violent

May 19, 2020, 12:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Remember when your parents would give you $20 ]

so those very few people that are born with that genetic disposition, like you said, should be targeted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: and in comparison, very few people are violent

May 19, 2020, 12:56 AM

they are busy catching it in our jails, so it seems like your wish was granted.

Lol just good lord balm. You try...

May 19, 2020, 12:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Remember when your parents would give you $20 ]

...a little too hard to prove your progressive liberal bona fides. You’re like a dang whack a mole. We get it. Can’t help but get it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

I see stats like that posted all the time, but it's misleading

May 19, 2020, 6:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Remember when your parents would give you $20 ]

for places like Myrtle Beach. Most of those numbers in the 80s and 90s were coming from the urban areas like NYC, LA, Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, DC, etc. The peak of the "crack epidemic" and gang wars and all that. Daily muggings on the NYC subways. But places like Myrtle Beach were safe.

In 1973, I turned 16 in April, got my driver's license in May, and my mom let me take her old Ford to Myrtle Beach in June for a week. Me and 3 of my best friends, and two of them were still 15. No cell phones, no credit cards, just a couple hundred bucks each, and a promise to our parents to be careful and call collect to let them know we got there OK. And that was common back then. In fact, we hung out all week with a group of girls who drove down by themselves from Virginia.

No way you'd let teens that young go by themselves these days. NO WAY. Heck, I knew some guys who would throw their sleeping bags in the car, just in case all the hotels had No Vacancy signs and they had to sleep on the beach for a couple nights until they found a room. Imagine that. We hung out on the boardwalk and walked the beach until the wee hours of the morning. And were perfectly safe. We did this every summer, and everybody we knew did too. It was like a rite of passage, kids from all over poured into Myrtle. You saw cars with license plates from as far away as PA and Ohio.

I'm sorry, but yes... times have changed. Dramatically. It's not the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

I distinctly recall sleeping on the beach during the day at 15

May 19, 2020, 7:49 AM

And staying up all night partying until the light of day. It is a sad thing that can no longer even remotely considered safe or healthy. But what good memories showering at the Springmaid campground and staying with a friend or acquaintance with no fear at all. Jim ... well I won’t say his last name because he might not want me to, but we met up with some beautiful Ohio girls, who never let you down, and friends from Georgia Tech, Clemson and Winthrop while bouncing at Crazy Zacks at the beach with Gator and at O’Sullivans in Rock Hill. Wow those Winthrop ladies.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I see stats like that posted all the time, but it's misleading

May 19, 2020, 9:19 AM [ in reply to I see stats like that posted all the time, but it's misleading ]

Even in the late 80’s it was the same. I went down several times with very little money, no hotel and no idea what would happen. Usually ended up crashing with a new acquaintance, in a chair by some hotel pool or on the beach. Slept in the car several times. Parents just wanted me to check in every day.

That was the most free I’ve ever felt.

I spent half the night at the pavilion...

May 18, 2020, 11:34 PM

for $20 once.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

May 19, 2020, 12:22 AM

I went to Coastal Carolina 1st and was a beach lifeguard for 5 summers and I saw fights and lots of motorcycle wrecks etc. but I don’t ever remember dealing with shootings. I got caught with daughters in rooms a few times and probably should have been shot. Thank you Lord for keeping me alive through my youth at the beach ??. I had to ask for a lot of forgiveness for my womanizing, partying and reefer.

The beach will always be home except for one week, I wish I could go more but it’s hard when you have a farm... Green Acres is the place to..be!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 19, 2020, 12:44 AM

About the $20.....lol even when I was 7-12 years old I’d cut grass dragging my lawnmower around the neighborhood and I cut my dads churches grass and my best friends dads churches grass for beach money. I would usually have 80-150 dollars for 10 days. When I was younger than that I had 2-5 dollars my dad would give me. We would always hit the pavilion, Magic Attic and video games. Putt putt, riding boats, fire hydrants and go carts were always a tradition.

It’s amazing how far the money went in the 70’s & 80’s. I loved riding the waves on a board or float in the early morning hours better than any ride.

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 19, 2020, 1:51 AM

Not to worry, it's been in the works for decades.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2020, 3:55 AM

I think in 1970? My dad gave me 20$ and said I could go to the Atlanta international Pop Festival. Me and my neighbor Pete and fellow Clemson student hitchhiked to Atlanta. Long story short we had a big time, heard many of the big acts and headed home on Sunday. Our first ride was a Georgia State Trooper. We thought we were headed to a Georgia jail where we were gonna get...well you know. Instead the officer asked us if we had any money and we coughed up a few bucks so he took us to the Greyhound station in Atlanta and told us to book a ride back to Charleston and to never hitchhike again. That was a long ride.
Go Tigers

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the virus killed all the idiots

May 19, 2020, 6:19 AM

what would we do about finding a new rival?

I remember when I used to save my grass cutting money so I

May 19, 2020, 7:03 AM

could go to the Pavillion, or Carrowinds, or Six Flags...but I don't ever remember being given $20....

May 19, 2020, 7:25 AM

Nope. They never gave me $20 to go have fun

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2020, 11:59 AM

I can remember them giving me $20, but it was for food and not for partying. My parents lived below the poverty line (without accepting any welfare), but somehow managed to pay for the first 2.5 years at CLEMSON. I tend to laugh at those that complain about how bad they have it.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic