Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date: 1986 (21)Clemson- 27 (20)Stanford- 21
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

On This Date: 1986 (21)Clemson- 27 (20)Stanford- 21

Dec 27, 2020, 8:26 PM

12/27/1986
Gator Bowl
Orlando, FL

NO COLLAPSE -- CLEMSON GRABS GATOR 27-21

THE ORLANDO SENTINEL

Before 80,104 mostly Clemson fans in Jacksonville's Gator Bowl stadium, the Tigers blew out Stanford in the first half, 27-0, but got complacent in the second and preserved the victory only by bearing down and stopping the Cardinal on a fourth-and-4 at Stanford's 35-yard line with 1:24 remaining.

"I told our guys at halftime that we were going to do either one of two things," Clemson Coach Danny Ford said. "We were either going to set an NCAA record of being ahead at halftime and losing, or we'll go out and score a bunch of points and win going away.

"It came awfully close to being the first one."

Ford said he was happy the team may have learned an important lesson without having to lose. "They came close to making us believers," Ford said. "We need to learn how to put people away."

Stanford players blamed the slow start on a lack of rhythm, specifically that of sophomore quarterback Greg Ennis, making his first start after starter John Paye underwent shoulder surgery last week.

It seemed a bad omen at the start when one of the five parachutists who landed in the Gator Bowl before the game -- the one carrying the Stanford flag -- missed the stadium and dropped out of sight.

"It was weird," Ennis said. "In the first half, I felt like we weren't really there yet."

Clemson, however, was ready and waiting, jumping all over the Cardinal for 181 yards rushing on 37 carries to Stanford's 39 on seven carries, and 101 passing yards to Stanford's 18.

After fooling around with the pass on its first possession, Clemson went to its reliable running attack, specifically the option, and scored on its next five possessions.

Fullback Chris Lancaster scored on a 5-yard run for Clemson's first touchdown after a 13-play, 80-yard drive.

Quarterback Rod Williams scored on the Tigers' next possession, sneaking up the middle from 1 yard out. Clemson led, 14-0. More importantly though, the Tigers were consuming time, controlling the ball in the first half with 20:30 on offense to Stanford's 9:30.

David Treadwell kicked a 22-yard field goal on Clemson's next possession and following a fumble by Stanford and recovery by Tyler Grimes on the kickoff return, receiver Ray Williams scored his touchdown, a 14-yarder on a flanker reverse.

Treadwell closed Clemson's scoring, and the first half, with a 46-yard field goal to give the Tigers a 27-0 lead.

"At that point," Stanford fullback Brian Morris said, "I thought, it can't possibly get any worse than this."

Stanford slinked back slowly, scoring its first points with 6:44 left in the third quarter on the first of three touchdowns by the Cardinal's most valuable player, tailback Brad Muster.

Muster blew through left tackle for a 1-yard touchdown following a drive that began on the Clemson 41.

He scored his second touchdown to open the fourth quarter -- a 13-yard pass from Ennis.

"All we did was make some minor adjustments with the blocking scheme up front," Morris said. "That, and Greg Ennis settled down."

Stanford had a chance to score again on the next series after Toi Cook intercepted a pass by Rodney Williams' and returned it 16 yards to the Clemson 11. But three plays later, Ennis was intercepted by Delton Hall at the Clemson 11.

Stanford held and Muster scored his third TD with 2:50 to play on a 37- yard pass play. The Cardinal then stopped Clemson on three downs and regained the ball at their own 29 with 1:43 to play.

Ennis, who was 20-of-40 for 168 yards, followed two incompletions with a 6-yard gainer to Jeff James. He looked for James again on fourth down but was rushed and bounced his pass.

"The cornerback was right on my hip," James said. "He played it very well. Greg had no choice."

For Clemson, it was a less-than-satisfying victory. "We were too relaxed," center Jeff Bak said. "We had a shot to put it away and we failed. It was complete frustration."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Remember that game well. Crappy day. Great 1st half. Lots

Dec 27, 2020, 8:48 PM

of sweating and nail biting in the second half. But we had a blast in Jacksonville!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember that game well. Crappy day. Great 1st half. Lots

Dec 27, 2020, 9:20 PM

We were there also. Remember the fog?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember that game well. Crappy day. Great 1st half. Lots

Dec 27, 2020, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Remember that game well. Crappy day. Great 1st half. Lots ]

Yes, the fog rolled in during the second half and my wife and I could hardly see the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On This Date: 1986 (21)Clemson- 27 (20)Stanford- 21

Dec 27, 2020, 9:52 PM

Was there, tale of two halves.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 10:01 PM

I was there . Man was it cold that. Great game for n time at Gator Bowl! Thanks for the memories. Same year I got married.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 27, 2020, 11:21 PM

I and my wife sat near the Stanford Band. They did not do much in the stands. Always liked the Gator Bowl. It was close to home (live in low country) and there was plenty to do. This game was our first trip out together after our son was born in September. We enjoyed the three days away.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic