Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Really positive news (covid related)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Really positive news (covid related)

Aug 5, 2020, 7:48 PM

This makes me optimistic about the fall!

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41577-020-0402-6

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Paraphrasing Bones McCoy: Dammitman, I'm an Engineer, not a

Aug 5, 2020, 8:03 PM

DOCTOR! They might as well be speaking Latin. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should click on the link. Cleared it right up for me...

Aug 5, 2020, 8:29 PM

...lol not. My eyes crossed when I saw those graphs. Perhaps a layman's summary would be a good idea?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

It’s like making sense of a Rick and Morty episode***

Aug 5, 2020, 8:29 PM [ in reply to Paraphrasing Bones McCoy: Dammitman, I'm an Engineer, not a ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Paraphrasing Bones McCoy: Dammitman, I'm an Engineer, not a

Aug 5, 2020, 8:42 PM [ in reply to Paraphrasing Bones McCoy: Dammitman, I'm an Engineer, not a ]

They write in Latin too

I C&P'd the article in Google translator...came back with

Aug 5, 2020, 9:25 PM

https://blerp.com/soundbites/5c27c58c5329a90005dbf51e

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really positive news (covid related)

Aug 5, 2020, 10:33 PM

It seems to be saying that covid-19 affects different people differently, ie some people get it and have no symptoms at all, some ordinary flu like stuff, and some die.

Aug 5, 2020, 10:41 PM

Sounds groundbreaking

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2020, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Really positive news (covid related) ]

What it is saying is that with COVID 19, by most data as well as new studies, peoples resistance to this is based on T-Cell immunity. The reason that it affects older adults is that your body stops producing T-Cells around age 65. They've found that many people who have had a cold (which is a coronavirus) within the past 2 years have T-Cells that are effective in fighting COVID-19. With T-cell immunity, you don't have to have 70% of the population get infected to achieve herd immunity, you will achieve it with only 20-30% having become infected at some point.

This is extremely good news which you probably won't here from most media outlets because they traffic in panic #### and they'd rather light at the end of a tunnel be from a train then actually coming to the end. T-Cell immunity also greatly helps explain the fact that 53% of the deaths from COVID-19 are from .6% of the population since the immune systems of that age group can no longer produce T-Cells. To the population that is relatively healthy, without major underlying conditions, and under 65, COVID-19 is similar to the flu with the severity decreasing the younger you get.

Aug 8, 2020, 12:41 PM

Yes - the impactful aspect is the raw numbers required for herd immunity likely dropping to around 20-30%. Especially considering, even with increased testing, we are likely under reporting close to an order of magnitude or so. It means we could likely be close to kicking this thing.

Also, this has explanatory power as to why some individuals are impacted so significantly while others seem essentially not effected.

Very promising and positive news!

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic