Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks

Dec 8, 2020, 9:17 PM

Since they were stacking the box, why didnt we play 4 wide outs in order to spread them out. We did that vs bama. Is it that we dont have 4 wideouts available now. Or......

Will appreciate hearing from football guru’s.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks

Dec 8, 2020, 9:27 PM

Agree. LSU sent 5 out most of the night on the Tigers in Nola in January. No 8 man box possible.

Why can't we line up 5wr and go?

OL too soft???

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 9:37 PM

I would like to see 5 wide also. If we spread the domers out and TL gets in a rhythm, we win big!! Teams like Oregon a few years back would spread you out and create some great running lanes.

Are you sure LSU had 5 WRs out there? I think it was more like

Dec 9, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks ]

4 plus Clyde Edwards-Helaire at RB. Not many teams really run 5 WR these days. You might see it occasionally with a funky formation where a RB goes out as a WR or the RB moves into the wildcat and the QB moves outside, but there aren't many offenses out there today that are regularly running 5 wide. One of the obvious problems with it is that you don't have a RB in there to A) help pick up pass rushers, and B) retain the threat of running the football.

We generally run 10 and 11 personnel, and given our lack of depth at WR right now it's probably been more 11 than usual, and i don't really expect that to change.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:43 PM

While I do agree with the premise of your post, the answer is pretty simple. We didn't need to. We whipped them pretty handily, even not adjusting the Offense to make up for OL weakness. (JMO) That could be an option in the post season, however.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2020, 9:49 PM

Would love to see 5 wides, but
Do we have 5 adequate/healthy receivers? Powell, Amari, EJ, Ajoe, Spector. Maybe flank Galloway out in place of Ajoe. Not sure coaches trust Ajoe yet to play meaningful snaps.

Dec 8, 2020, 9:54 PM

Great point about having 5 we trust. While it seems as though it really is "next man up", theer may be a reason for not using more wide-outs. Who knows? Maybe we see that in the playoffs. It certainly would present challenges for defenses, but we may be challenged in getting protection for our QB, as well. Another interesting scenario would be to use both Trevor and DJ at the same time, especially if both are 100% healthy and able to use their legs and their arms. How does any team defend that?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

~this~ "..use both Trevor and DJ at the same time,..".***

Dec 9, 2020, 12:39 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ~this~ "..use both Trevor and DJ at the same time,..".***

Dec 9, 2020, 10:24 AM

Maybe I should have been a coach. I certainly wasn't a great player.

Dec 9, 2020, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks ]

I agree with flanking out Galloway and heck throw Davis in there too. I’d go Powell, Amari, EJ, Galloway, and have ETN motion out of the back field. I’d venture to say that’s a first down every time.

Dec 9, 2020, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks ]

Dugatiger, you do realize we were only up 17-10 until Hokes decided to become a turnover machine?

Dec 9, 2020, 2:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Re-watching VT game. Question for the x’s and o’s folks ]

If we have to 4 or 5 wide with an empty backfield we are in huge trouble. Trevor will always on most occasions need an extra blocker because of this poor OL...The staff knows this.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

We only had 6 healthy including Will Swinney and 2 freshmen

Dec 8, 2020, 9:46 PM

one of which is fairly new to the sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Layden coming back could really help....***

Dec 9, 2020, 12:38 AM

Re: Frank Ladson coming back could really help too....

Dec 9, 2020, 12:43 AM

YOu know. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And we left the Herbstreits home!***

Dec 9, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to We only had 6 healthy including Will Swinney and 2 freshmen ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Your offense is more "multiple" with a more diverse position grouping...

Dec 9, 2020, 5:12 AM

It is actually tougher for the defense to account for all the possible formations, especially when you have talented tight ends, which we do this year.

But, to be real, VPI was never going to match up for all four quarters against Clemson, even if we just put 5 WRs, 5 RBs, 5 TEs, etc. on the field...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember, the defense can h our personnel when we substitute

Dec 9, 2020, 10:04 AM

Five wide sounds good until you realize how terrible our WR depth is.

Bottom line: Either our O-line plays worth a dime in run-blocking and pass-protection or the WRs play like bosses. One of those must happen for the offense to succeed.

Also, Trevor must be sharp. Can't have him missing throws.

Re: Remember, the defense can h our personnel when we substitute

Dec 9, 2020, 12:43 PM

Etn and the tight end could have been ones you can use to spread out and make up for the lack of receivers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not really 5-wide though. True 5-wide is zero

Dec 9, 2020, 1:31 PM

personnel. Splitting out a TE and moving out the RB is still 11 personnel. It's certainly the best option if you want to occasionally get 5 guys out in the route because you can do it without subbing and thus letting the defense match up personnel wise, but i think that works best as an occasional curve ball. I still want Etienne in the backfield on the vast majority of his snaps. He can still get involved in the passing game from there while also remaining a threat in the running game.

Dec 9, 2020, 1:31 PM

Because Clemson is depleted at WR

Amari and Cornell

Brannon, EJ, and Ajou are all freshman

Walk-ons after them

We desperately need Ladson and Ngata back. They are our best deep threat WRs. Cornell and Amari don’t really scare people because they don’t have great size or straight line speed. They also play so many snaps offensively because we lack depth behind them at the moment.

Powell is probably the most consistent deep threat on the

Dec 9, 2020, 1:36 PM

team right now so I'm not really sure what you've been watching. Ladson is also a deep threat, but he's still fairly inconsistent. I haven't seen anything out of Ngata to suggest that's part of his game right now at this stage of his career. He's mostly caught short stuff plus some back shoulder throws in that 10-20 yard range. I don't recall him catching a single deep ball during his career.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic