Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing

Nov 2, 2020, 10:32 AM

1st down rushing yards for the past 3 years (courtesy of David Hale):

2018: 3.92
2019: 2.58
2020: 1.52 (through 7 games)

Anyone who's honest really has to question what's going on with this O line. The last series we had vs. BC in the 4th quarter really opened my eyes---3 times we couldn't run for 3 yards with arguably the best RB in Clemson history. Thankfully Spiers hit the punt of his life and Bresee sealed the ballgame.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing

Nov 2, 2020, 10:37 AM

Certainly it is all on the O-line. I have been very disappointed in their ability to move practically anyone off the ball. We have done a decent job pass blocking, although Carmen seems to be getting beat or resorting to holding too many times. I have no idea what the problem is. Perhaps some of the play calling, lack of counter plays, etc. is not putting the O-line in position to make easier blocks, but it seems like we even have a hard time getting a yard or two when we need it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 10:42 AM

Bockhorst whiffed at least 5-7 blocks, Putnam is missing assignments left and right, and Stewart continues to get bull-rushed/pushed around. Carman seems to be regressing this year with his technique. I don't know what's going on. Only one who was consistent was McFadden, IMO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:52 AM

I don't disagree, at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

IMO, one of the issues is lack of talent. Stewart and Putnam don't appear to have it. With the way Carmen is playing, would like to see another player given a few series.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:51 AM

He is the biggest disappointment out there, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

You are all over it. So disappointed in our overall O-line play. Just when I thought we had rounded a corner, the OL starts to look weak. Hope they get their manhood challenged and they answer the challenge by whipping the guys lined up in front of them.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:54 AM

What concerns me is teams have figured out we never run to the right side because Putnam is the weak link at guard--they consistently crash LB's into the A gap on the left side when we run. On the left side, only player who consistently gets push is Carman. But Bockhorst and Stewart are getting whipped. Not sure what the issue is--is it technique? Is it strength/training ? This is a head-scratcher because I truly thought O Line would be a strength this year.

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 8:33 PM

Carmen gets whipped on pass blocking often, as well. He takes many plays off, IMO. He needs to step up and show, by example, that the offense succeeds or fails depending on how well the OL performs. I hope our team steps up and takes care of business.

Nov 3, 2020, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

I thought so, too! It turns out, yet again, that the OL seems to be a weak link. Carman takes plays off, gets caught holding way too much, and the rest of the OL isn't special, either. I hate ugay, but the one thing they consistently have is a good OL. I long for the day when it's 3rd and 1 or 2, and we don't have to run a pass or some trick play to get the 1st down. I hope I live long enough to see it. I've been waiting since Danny Ford left, and I think the Natty line was almost that good, but I won't quit hoping for a dominant OL, instead of one that's, at best, serviceable.

REALLY need to be more creative on first down!!

Nov 2, 2020, 10:54 AM

We ran between tackles on almost ALL first downs. Play action wouldn't hurt! Jet sweep, toss, etc. Elliot needs to revise play calling to help our guys up front out. Not all runs are the same!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: REALLY need to be more creative on first down!!

Nov 2, 2020, 10:56 AM

It's almost like we forgot the jet sweep. But right now, teams are stacking the box on 1st/2nd downs and we are way too predictable.

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 10:59 AM

I go back to play calling. When we try to run Travis between tackles 10-12 times on 1st down only to end up with 2nd and 8, is that on the line or the predictability of play calling ??

Nov 2, 2020, 11:05 AM

It is highly predictable, if fans can see it most assuredly coaches see it when they are looking at the all 22's.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: REALLY need to be more creative on first down!! ]

You do the same thing over and over to set up something else.

And, when they stack the box, if you get to the second level it's usually a touchdown.

I'm sure they are working on it, but as long as we continue to get good pass protect, and it's been great this year, I'm willing to live with the issues trying to run up the middle.

Nov 2, 2020, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: REALLY need to be more creative on first down!! ]

Totally agree on Tony Elliot's play calling. He seems wishful about how he thinks our skill players should perform, and rather than to adjust our offense to suit his vision, maybe we need to adjust our play calling to their skills and their true potential. That seems to be a pretty efficient way to advance our offense. I like Tony, but IMO, he has waisted a lot of talent by taking guys who could outrun the wrath of God when given a little space, and instead running them up the middle where there is no space, because he thinks they must learn more about how to block than to use their God given speed and talent to take us down field. This is JMHO, coming from a former Clemson OL. It was our job to open the holes. It was their job to find that crease and get through it and make stuff happen, but when they are busy trying to learn how to block the guys we were supposed to have blocked, it seems that we are missing out on some of our potential.

Nov 2, 2020, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: REALLY need to be more creative on first down!! ]

We need more bubble screens ! ;)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 8:34 PM [ in reply to REALLY need to be more creative on first down!! ]

I fault Tony Elliot with those decisions. I want him to do better.

While I agree it is a concern, soem of the first down yards

Nov 2, 2020, 11:11 AM

we had in the past came via WR pop passes, which we aren't employing this year as much. It seems the rushing yard are coming from the RB's more than in the past.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Nov 2, 2020, 11:29 AM

It’s a crime that you take 5 grown men that average 6-3 and about 330 lbs and at the snap of the ball, teach them to backup. Just makes me ill.

O line - no substitutions last weekend

Nov 2, 2020, 11:35 AM

if I read article correct. Lot of snaps for starters

Could it be the rope-a-dope...

Nov 2, 2020, 11:43 AM

Crash it up the middle, over and over and over and over and over again... until we don't?

"And yet we live."

-Princess Thuvia of Mars

We're just conditioning teams to expect the same

Nov 2, 2020, 12:19 PM

first-and-ten 2-yard run up the middle every time.

We're planning on surprising a great team when we finally have to play one.

Nov 2, 2020, 12:50 PM

Maybe the other teams know we are going to run the ball ? Maybe they allow for the fact that they must take away one offensive weapon ?
Too many reasons to look at it as just on the O-line .
Could be though .

DB23

I wondered aloud to my wife at the game whether we should

Nov 2, 2020, 1:48 PM

just ask the refs if we could start at 2nd and 8 every series, to save some wear and tear on ETN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 2, 2020, 3:23 PM

7-0

I bet you complained the undefeated National Championship year.

Nov 2, 2020, 6:38 PM

1965tiger said:

7-0

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

1965tiger said:

7-0

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

1965tiger said:

7-0

Screw Calford.

1965tiger said:

7-0

Screw Calford.

Nov 2, 2020, 3:34 PM

We couldn't punch it in on the series with the bad exchange.
Wasn't it something like first and goal from the 3?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DJ could have walked into the EZ on any of those three plays

Nov 2, 2020, 8:29 PM

QB kept once for a 30 yard score. Otherwise we appeared to be protecting his gimpy left shoulder.

This will need to change down the road. Probably this week.

Nov 2, 2020, 4:08 PM

I don't think you are wrong, but I don't think it is as bad as you are making it seem. I am kinda curious as to how many of those first down rushing yards in '18 were handled by Choice. He had a good YPC metric but always seemed like it was a steady 3-9 yards - bu6 rarely more meanwhile ETN has always been a couple yards, 10 yards, or 20+ & TD.

Our O Line is designed to protect the pass and even ETN's "biggest" weakness (if one can be made) has been stacked short yardage scenarios - or his blocking. Our OLine works well in space, not great at making space. I don't think that Elliot is going to waste a lot of ETN carries on hey-diddle-diddle, straight up the middle. The MO has been to stack the middle and prey that TL has an off day.

That BC game was weird. I felt like our team was nervous and jittery - but they got them in line in the 2nd. I did kinda have the feel that we were kinda holding back - heck I know we had been holding back with DJ's options in prior games. Who knows.

Nov 2, 2020, 6:58 PM

FutureDoc said:

I don't think you are wrong, but I don't think it is as bad as you are making it seem. I am kinda curious as to how many of those first down rushing yards in '18 were handled by Choice. He had a good YPC metric but always seemed like it was a steady 3-9 yards - bu6 rarely more meanwhile ETN has always been a couple yards, 10 yards, or 20+ & TD.

Our O Line is designed to protect the pass and even ETN's "biggest" weakness (if one can be made) has been stacked short yardage scenarios - or his blocking. Our OLine works well in space, not great at making space. I don't think that Elliot is going to waste a lot of ETN carries on hey-diddle-diddle, straight up the middle. The MO has been to stack the middle and prey that TL has an off day.

That BC game was weird. I felt like our team was nervous and jittery - but they got them in line in the 2nd. I did kinda have the feel that we were kinda holding back - heck I know we had been holding back with DJ's options in prior games. Who knows.

I’m inclined to believe that it is a combination of all of this. Play calling is WAY too predictable. For some reason our play calling is so vanilla for the 1st half of the season. As much as we all love ETN, this is a pass first O-line....My largest disappointment was when we punted (which worked out) on a 4th down and 1/2 yard.... speaks VOLUMES as to trust your O-line to block for your All-American RB to get a 1st down and run the clock out. At some point in a close game, the O-line will have to be the difference maker. Defense has bailed us out so many times...

I agree, it would be great to have more. But does it matter?

Nov 2, 2020, 6:49 PM

Our offense was/is playing really well. In today’s FB world, the rules/officials, the play-calling, the speed of the game is all designed to favor teams that spread the ball to playmakers, often in wide areas where 1v1 opportunities occur.

It’s no longer a run three downs and punt game.

When our opponents stack the box to shut down our run, it is at their own peril. We have plenty of guys that can make them pay on the outside and increasingly our TEs. The QB is protected, not only by our line, but also by the rules and how games are officiated.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Nov 2, 2020, 6:54 PM

All teams stacked the box on Coach Ford's teams.

His offensive line players didn't care. They forced their will on the guy in front of them.

Those teams were not scoring 45+ a game.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:10 PM

Different time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Not sure why that is the example you chose.

Nov 2, 2020, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

Those teams didn’t score as much as our current team does, nor did they win as much as this team does.

Ford was a great coach, but offense was always his weak link.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Those teams generally lost two games a year as well.***

Nov 2, 2020, 8:31 PM [ in reply to Re: I knew it was bad, but here's a sobering stat on our rushing ]

Nov 2, 2020, 6:56 PM

Better late than never, the 2022 class getting underway with two 4* OT's.

Nov 2, 2020, 7:22 PM

To the offensive line defense, we have no imagination in the run game. Read Option to the middle with ETN on every 1st down. No tosses jet sweep, shovel pass, nothing! Can a man get a jet sweet with ETN or amari off the edge?

Nov 2, 2020, 7:29 PM

Amari played on the outside last week so we did not run the jet sweep much or even fake it.

I expect him to run some Saturday Night or see ETN in the slot running it

Nov 2, 2020, 7:33 PM

Does it strike anyone that people discuss this every year here? CRC has been scrutinized in seasons even when we won the NC.

Our best are out there and our coaches know better than we what they have. They will continue to grow them and coaching intensifies as the season progresses.

Take a step off the same ledge created every season.

Just my opinion of course.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our passing numbers are a lot better this year

Nov 2, 2020, 7:46 PM

so I don’t think the rushing numbers are a big deal.

Sure, we want to improve those numbers, but we are loaded with great QBs and WRs. Plus, we are still getting Etienne the ball in space, just as a receiver. He is still able to do his thing.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

All valid points. But,

Nov 2, 2020, 7:53 PM

There will be times when we need a handoff fun game, and we just don’t seem to have it. I would have much preferred getting a first down and then taking the victory formation vs punting at the end of the game Saturday.

Re: All valid points. But,

Nov 2, 2020, 10:18 PM

Dude, the worst WIN we’ve had was 6 points, the second was 3+td’s... what part of domination don’t you acknowledge?

Re: Our passing numbers are a lot better this year

Nov 2, 2020, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Our passing numbers are a lot better this year ]

Not true JK, this is as dumb as one of your basketball pumping threads, loser!!!!

JK, just kidding.....

signed, Francis Marion

Who?!?***

Nov 2, 2020, 11:29 PM

Re: Who?!?***

Nov 2, 2020, 11:49 PM

He doesn’t post much anymore since he became a T-net elite. Membership does have its privileges!

Nov 2, 2020, 7:54 PM

Our O Line's aren't recruited to be road graders, they are recruited to give whatever 5 star QB one extra second in the pocket.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blaming Coach Elliott is like. . . . .

Nov 2, 2020, 9:27 PM

Blaming Coach Elliott is like blaming the sun for photosynthesis. . . . . . . We have 40 offensive TD's this season!
We average 6.51 yards per play! You get 4 downs - do the math on that!

I could go along with a lot of what is said, "except that the bit about the play calling"! This Saturday, if DJU doesn't put the ball at Travis's neck we likely score there. They don't score there. We blow BC out.

You also had a 1st time starter in the ball game! Play Calling 101 is you do not put your freshman QB in a position to muck up the game. Because "IF YOu DO" after the game all everyone will talk about is: "you knew he was a freshman, you knew it was his first start, why, why, why, why"!

I mean, geez! Call a spade a spade! The OL has not blocked well! They haven't. Post like these are what I call, "looked at Bama and OSU or last year LSU and why aren't we looking like that against perceived lesser teams"! Well, to a point I agree and understand the anxiety! But, please remember Coach Swinney has a different philosophy. We play a lot of people - playing a lot of people is good but you may not get the same chemistry as quick as other teams! The games like BC are good because you start to notice who the coaches trust the most(who is making plays versus who isn't). I saw Trenton Simpson in the game in some critical points in the game late. I know we had players out; but I think the fact he was making plays would have kept him in there.
The OL needs improvement and that's no secret. But, our offense is still posting 42.3 PPG ( or we were ). Averaging 508 yards a game.
Something is going pretty well! Somebody is doing something right. I have also seen post about our WR's. I think a few of the young Soph's need to step it up namely Ladson. NGata has been hurt so I give him a pass for now! And, Ladson has had his moments DGMW. He just isn't consistent.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Besides that........You have a NCAA Record SETTER at RB

Nov 2, 2020, 9:32 PM

If you don't stack the box against a guy who is breaking not just Clemson records but conference and NCAA records - then who do you stack the box against?

Teams are going to make Trevor or DJ beat them. Maybe a WR drops it! Maybe the pass-pro breaks down. Maybe the QB throws it off target. All of that is a possibility in the passing game when Clemson passes it. But, give number nine a crease and let him get in your secondary and it's automatic lights out no pass go. No 2nd chance. No, but, if's or maybes! It's over!

So, you stack the box and make Clemson prove they can pass it! This has as much to do with the run game struggles as anything!
Why I still agree with you though is: Wisconsin and some of the dominant Bama teams could run against a stack box and still get a yard or two when they had to. Right now, we can't!

Far more about the OL than anything to do with the play calling!

Nov 2, 2020, 9:35 PM

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

Nov 2, 2020, 9:40 PM

You do not get these stats with poor play calling! Sorry!

Call a spade a spade. Call out the obvious! If we averaged 6 yards a carry on 1st down against a stacked box would it still be considered bad play calling? No. The OL just has to block it better. And, if you want Trevor to throw to one on one match ups; you had better keep threatening the defense with a record setting running back!

I.E. you set up the pass with the run. Teams are more willing to die a Trevor Lawrence death 7 yards at a time rather than one play taken to the house by Travis Etienne.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic