Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question: who here has seen at game at FSU?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Question: who here has seen at game at FSU?

May 23, 2020, 7:46 PM

Did you enjoy the experience? Recommendations? Plan on going this year (crossing fingers).

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Been a while but it was a good time (aside from getting

May 23, 2020, 7:53 PM

whipped). Had a great time out in Tallahassee.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got beat 57-0. It was fabulous. Thanks Hatfield.***

May 23, 2020, 8:04 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same year as me. 1993. Patrick Sapp got pummeled at QB

May 23, 2020, 10:00 PM

while I roasted in the sun at the game. Partied Friday night at some warehouse and had a ball.

about 105 degrees too***

Mar 20, 2019, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Got beat 57-0. It was fabulous. Thanks Hatfield.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question: who here has seen at game at FSU?

May 23, 2020, 8:13 PM

We have been twice and had a great experience both times including the game we won in the last minute or two when Dalvin Cook dropped that passed for a sure touchdown. We were in a parking deck and afterwords the fans could not of been nicer encouraging us to win out. If you have two or three extra days go down to Apalachicola and maybe a day of inshore fishing or at least some good seafood. Also, beautiful campus with lots of Daisy Dukes ????

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you so much!

May 24, 2020, 6:21 PM

Will do!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 8:20 PM

I watched James Davis score the go ahead touchdown when the noles defense was standing flat footed. In side the stadium, 3 different nole fans tell me f you to my face and 2 of them were women. Won’t be going back. Eff the seminoles

May 23, 2020, 8:27 PM

My first trip was in ‘89 when we were chanting ohhh and two at the end of the game. My second favorite road trip behind Treadwell kicking the game winner in Athens ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as well.......watching Wayne Simmons bring

May 23, 2020, 8:41 PM

that ball all the way to us in the endzone from 70+ was a thing of beauty. And yes, we were showered with litter as we celebrated hartily. Great trip indeed! Went back in 93 for the blowout, but still had a great time.

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

May 23, 2020, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Question: who here has seen at game at FSU? ]

I don't know that I've ever seen a Clemson team play better than they did in the '89 game vs fsu. The Wayne Simmons td and the td run by Terry Allen were fantastic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 10:15 PM

I was in Tallahassee for the 1989 game. We had a great time and won a hat from an FSU fan who bet it believing they could not lose.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

It was great in '89 and HOT but well worth it.

May 24, 2020, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Question: who here has seen at game at FSU? ]

Never will I forget that game in Tally in 89. Wayne Simmons racing to the endzone where we were sitting for a TD is still vivid in my mind in 2020.
That day, I wore a new white Clemson cap...it was so humid that I got a sweat ring on the outside of that hat...never wore it again...but still have it to help me remember that game.
All the Tiger fans doing the tomahawk chop in mocking fashion was so fun!!!

Video of Simmons interception for TD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwdH9oFWNm8

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2020, 9:15 PM

Went once. Got beat around 55-0. Fans were ruthless to us. Really did not enjoy the trip. Won't go back.

"If a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal."

May 23, 2020, 10:27 PM

Went in ‘89, ‘16, and ‘18. We were treated very nicely after the last two and their fans could not have been more helpful to my dad as we were climbing steps leaving the stadium.
We were also impressed with how well they handled the traffic.

May 23, 2020, 10:27 PM

Went in ‘89, ‘16, and ‘18. We were treated very nicely after the last two and their fans could not have been more helpful to my dad as we were climbing steps leaving the stadium.
We were also impressed with how well they handled the traffic.

May 23, 2020, 10:39 PM

where we led by a zillion at half-time and hung on to win by about 10.

Terry Allen all the way!

Humid & town full of hateful students.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's way different than it was a decade ago bc of weird fan base

May 23, 2020, 10:41 PM

FSU fans are a lot like Cowboy fans as there are fans extremely abhorrent when they're good but pretty docile when they're bad. A decade ago I honestly would not take a kid to the game with all the profanity and nudity. But since they have fallen it has tamed down. Tallahassee is a big, fun, drunk, and tacky college town. Comparable to Athens if it was completely populated with greasers and wanna be adult film stars.

Re: It's way different than it was a decade ago bc of weird fan base

May 24, 2020, 4:19 AM

Nudity? What kind of nudity???

The kind that's very silly.

May 24, 2020, 5:14 AM

And everyone is crying

Re: It's way different than it was a decade ago bc of weird fan base

May 24, 2020, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: It's way different than it was a decade ago bc of weird fan base ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

May 23, 2020, 10:45 PM

I've been to 4 or 5 games in Doak through the years. I've seen us win and seen us get killed. I was there for Watson's win and saw Dalvin Cook almost win it for the holes.

It's a long drive to Tallahassee and for whatever reason the city has always struck me as a bit dead, but the atmosphere has been really good for every game. The last trip down for Watson's win, the fans were as nice as they could be. They hoped to win, but expected to lose and played us a good game, which we locked up really late in the 4th quarter. The fans were outstanding in restaurants, bars, parking and before the game and coming and going from the game. Inside the stadium was like most others; the fans wanted their team to win and were disappointed in the outcome.

Most long time Nole fans have seen a lot of wins and while losing hurts, they seem well aware the issue is the Noles themselves and not the other teams, certainly not Clemson. I have the impression all that Miami and UofF are the teams they hate. We seem to be someone they respect.

So if I were you, I'd go and enjoy the trip. And I'd expect their fans to be gracious.

But it is a long drive!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2020, 6:23 PM

Thank you so much Harley!

I was there the year Wayne Simmons took one to the house...***

May 23, 2020, 11:11 PM

yeahyeah, i saw the puntrooskie so i went to Tally for pay

May 24, 2020, 4:48 AM

back in '89. Got arrested. On the way back to Tally for court, got a speeding ticket somewhere in Georgia. Did pti washing police cars at Clemson. So i marched on Max Lennon's house when Ford got fired and i knew all the cops so i didn't get arrested for being rowdy. So the next year on 1st Friday, i got arrested in front of Sloan St. Tavern. Did pti at the library. Learned my way around the library purdy good. Settled down and gaduuated from Fort Hill college cause the library folks helped me with my studies. I ran into Bobby Robinson's daughter in a bar one night. She told me the real reason Ford got fired. Terry Allen then left a year early.

May 24, 2020, 5:02 AM

I went. It was ok. I think there are better college towns. Why go there? They aren't that good. Might as well pick a better town.

Took high-school senior son to the 2014 game...

May 24, 2020, 7:49 AM

... as part of a college visit. And it was a good one, but for the ending. Stadium is very nice. I prefer the bowl format, as opposed to tiers and decks, and Doak is built that way like the Rose Bowl, Big House, etc. No real bad seats. Also, it's interesting because you can't see the stadium just walking around campus because academic buildings are constructed all around it; they may even be attached TO it. I found the city/campus similar to USC: a pretty campus nestled within a more or less gray, nondescript capital city. I'd give Columbia the edge, however. We went to Madison Social, a pretty happening campus joint, on game day and found that very solid. Deion's Prime Time restaurant was a bit disappointing: too upscale for what I expected. Fans were mostly cordial, although I did get pranked by some frat boys with the old fishing-line-on-a-dollar-bill trick. My son still laughs at that. Our seats were right in the middle of some loud and proud FSU fans, but we were allowed to cheer for the Tigers with no real issues. After the game, a few drunk girls gave us the business, but most fans were OK. I find no matter where you go, if you mind your manners and act like you should, you get treated well in return. I suppose there are exceptions, but I had heard bad stuff about FSU and was pleasantly surprised.

May 24, 2020, 8:08 AM

Number one, it’s a LONG drive through the countryside to get there . Number 2, it’s probably going to be hot down there, even in October. Having said that, get to the stadium early and park as close as you can. We’ve always been able to find something with a little grass and some shade. Their fans have always been very hospitable. Be careful about the hotels very near stadium- high price and low standards.
We’ve been 10 times + over the years, but don’t plan to go back. Too much hassle to get there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2020, 6:25 PM

Thanks DU! Great advice!

And pray you miss the love bug season

May 24, 2020, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Question: who here has seen at game at FSU? ]

We weren’t so lucky in 2002

May 24, 2020, 8:15 AM

Sitting in those endzone bleachers in 1989 celebrating is one of my favorite memories.....Also one of the scariest. I was certain we were all going to fall through those wooden bleachers and die.

May 24, 2020, 8:24 AM

prsncguy said:

Sitting in those endzone bleachers in 1989 celebrating is one of my favorite memories.....Also one of the scariest. I was certain we were all going to fall through those wooden bleachers and die.

Not to mention that those bleachers really moved a lot when Tiger Band got rocking.

Went in 2006

May 24, 2020, 8:37 AM

It was fun but the game had a weird vibe. FSU fans were very unhappy with the state of their own program at that point. There were alot of empty seats and the people around us mostly complained about their own team for most of the game.

That was also the game where we got 2 kicks blocked and run back before Bowden quit kicking for the rest of the game. It was fun seeing the team win down there but it was kind of felt like one dysfunctional team beating a slightly more dysfunctional team.

Btw, the city and campus and all are very forgettable. I wouldn't really recommend it as a road trip unless they are good and you just want to see a big game down there.

I’ve been about five times

May 24, 2020, 8:49 AM

Mixed results overall. Students and young alum can be very rude and profanity seems to roll off every tongue at times. I’ve had some good experiences too but when they are a quality team, be ready for some nasty comments.

Of course, being who we are they will be headed to their cars by the 3Q or reading a book with no one sitting close by.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there in 2000. The stadium looks much nicer from

May 24, 2020, 8:59 AM

outside the stadium than inside. The restrooms were the smallest I've ever been in at any major stadium.

The best part of the trip was all the beautiful blondes. FSU began as an all girls school, and as on 2000, the ladies outnumbered the school's enrollment.

The most common comment from fans who have taken a trip to Tallahassee is that the chop gets old long before the end of the first quarter.

May 24, 2020, 10:27 AM

The FSU fans are very cordial and knowledgeable about the ties between both our schools. Many will invite you to tailgate with them. Very few are “difficult”. You will also find many fans have been to Clemson and talk about it as a great place to visit.

The seats normally allotted for visit g teams are nose bleed and often in a corner of the stadium but views are very good. Normally you can expect a hot day game, but nights sometimes get chilly in November.

If you are flying in, your best bet is try Tally airport, but you Amy also want to fly into Panama City and spend weekend there on the beach, and drive 2 hours to game and back (only if you can make it a 4 day weekend). Also you Amy want to fly into Tally and stay on the water in a bed and breakfast at Saint Marks or Apalachicola for fresh seafood. Both game day drives are less than an hour usually.

Good hotels in Tally and solid restaurant choices, but expect long lines. Bars on Tennessee Street are typical college bars but they get sloppy after 9:30 or so. Lots of folks also use Airbnb for game day weekends.

Tallahassee and surrounding areas are rural with lots of hiking fishing and camping as well.

(I live about an hour away and would be happy to give you more information)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 24, 2020, 6:28 PM

Thank you so much, good advice!

May 24, 2020, 10:51 AM

Unimpressive town in general....
There are probably better trips you can make...
Fan interaction depends on how competitive things are...
If FSU is way better than Clemson and wins - they are cordial (of course this isn’t the case now)
If Clemson is way better and wins they are cordial...

When they ever become competitive nationally and with us again (or maybe if) - I’d expect their fans to return to being generally nasty to deal with...

May 24, 2020, 11:27 AM

I went in 2014 (That high snap still haunts me).
I enjoyed the experience. I actually sat near some FSU students and they ragged me some but nothing bad, , we talked a lot of football, it was a lot of fun. We drove around and was able to find a parking spot that had indoor bathroom access included.
I would go again in the future for sure.

Been twice...1989 and 2002

May 24, 2020, 6:33 PM

I won’t be back. Won one and lost one, but they are the least hospitable hosts (next to VT or Maryland) I have visited...worse than SCAR. SAW SEVERAL FOGHTS IN 1989 (as a student), and feared for my life walking back to my hotel in 2002.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic