Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for our tnet coaches x and o's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,057

Question for our tnet coaches x and o's

Dec 12, 2020, 10:44 AM

Is it Trevor, Elliott/scheme, or personnel that seems to be creating a lot more 3rd and longs. Especially rewatching the VA Tech game and the cuse game, a couple others. A lot of times we were bailed out by ETN being, well ETN. Takes a little flip toss or screen and got us the first down. Not only ETN but Trevor would go to other checkdown and against lesser opponents, were able to get the fd.

We only threw ETN one pass but he was open several times. I've also noticed that Trevor really locked in on his first read in the tech game. We also appeared to force Spector on the out route and give him 50/50 balls and he can vertical jump maybe 6 inches. Why not more Williams or ajou.

Do we break this mold with ND next week? Personally, I'd like to see more quick first down throws to slants. Gain our 6 yards then give more options on 2nd down.

No poke at any coach or players, just more curiosity on what I'm seeing or just not understanding what it should be. Tia

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for our tnet coaches x and o's

Dec 12, 2020, 10:48 AM

D. All of the above. Football is a game of strategy and execution. The winner usually is the team with the best strategy, players, and execution. Some make up for others throughout the game. Like good players making up for bad scheme. Or good schemes making up for less talented/experienced players.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 10:58 AM

Clemson offense is predicated on getting positive yardage on 1st down to give more options on 2nd and 3rd down. But defenses have started stacking the box on 1st down or bringing run blitzes because 90% of the time the Tigers run on 1st down.
To beat ND the offense will need to be less predictable on 1st down or find a way to block 9 men in the box.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You nailed the "problem". 90% of the time, we hand the

Dec 12, 2020, 11:01 AM

ball to ETN on first down. Especially to open the game on our first possession. 90% is pretty easy to predict and scheme against,right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You nailed the "problem". 90% of the time, we hand the

Dec 12, 2020, 2:45 PM

Thank you for the response.

If there are consistently nine men in the box...

Dec 12, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for our tnet coaches x and o's ]

We will have a lot of one play, 75 yard pass touchdown drives.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 11:38 AM

Honestly I think the problem is the RPO offense. Teams are clearly keying on ETN stacking the box and making the WR win matchups. They obviously do and we win a lot of games but it’s bc we are flat o it better than most teams.

My problem with RPO is the mesh point takes time, Trevor is reading the end and deciding what to do. When he pulls his time to scan the field is drastically reduced. Less time to go through reads and negatively affects the pass game.

See ND for example. A hurt QB and a game plan more conducive to passing. I know the run stats were terrible but that’s a product of our bad OL play. We have to use Trevor and RPO to create favorable numbers to run. Our OL will improve with influx of young talent so I think we can run under normal sets in the future. Add in a QB who has time to read routes and well you throw for 475 and 40 points with the added benefit of running game to come.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 12:19 PM

It’s always dangerous to answer these things, because there are those who think our coaches are beyond being reviewed.

So I start by saying I know nothing about football, so they don’t have to.

Having said that, my opinion is that our offensive mindset is that we are going to run the ball, and it will be effective eventually. However it hasn’t been as effective as expected, presumably that is what is forcing us into 3rd and long. It has happened all season in my mind. I clearly remember having to convert a high percentage of 3rd and longs against Miami. Our o line blocking scheme has to change if we are going to get production out of etn. Running up the gut is just not the right call for our line.

As far as tl, I noticed him forcing the ball to Spector too, didn’t understand it, but we also don’t get to see what’s going on elsewhere on the field. Overall, he looked rusty to me. Threw a terrible pass that was picked off. He definitely got better as the game progressed.

Hope we show ND a whole new look in the championship.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 2:57 PM

All of these responses, I thank you much. We all know we have the best set of coaches in the nation, hands down. A little constructive discussion is good imo.

Both you and me08 confirmed what I was kinda thinking but would never say because I really don't know. I stop, rewind, and put the tape in slow mo and I see a lot more... Still can't see the whole field but do see some things.

That said, I have to admit, reviewing the games, I said to myself, dang we looked better in the ND game and the BC game but not knowing the x and o's wondered. I sincerely appreciate the insight. Again thank you all.

Agree, our D shuts down ND, we put a beatdown on them.

Dec 12, 2020, 12:23 PM

ETN did not appear healthy in VT game, but slow. Not his usual aggressive play. We win if our
defense does not allow ND quarterback to escape and run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 12, 2020, 2:44 PM

I was wondering that too... Because in total back snaps, he was way behind. I'm glad we save him and didn't really need his production. He has been hampered with the hamstring and can only imagine the cold would tighten more. Thanks

Dec 12, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Question for our tnet coaches x and o's ]

I was wondering that too... Because in total back snaps, he was way behind. I'm glad we save him and didn't really need his production. He has been hampered with the hamstring and can only imagine the cold would tighten more. Thanks

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,057
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic