Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
QB under center?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

QB under center?

Nov 9, 2020, 11:51 AM

Our one solid rushing TD against BC was when we put DJ under center with ETN behind him.

Why don’t we do this more? It gives ETN multiple looks at where to run and can open up play action.

Was hoping we were saving this wrinkle. I saw no creativity against ND from Elliot, just more of the same.

The guy needs a serious self-eval this week and throw away Rob Spences play book he must have found in an old desk this summer.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The ND corner said he knew the play by the way we lined up.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:03 PM

Then he met ETN at the football and took it to the house.

Need to mix it up unless they are waiting on the ACC Championship? I guess that's why they make the "big bucks" and I manage a sales team

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We need more sets than just shot-gun.***

Nov 9, 2020, 12:08 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: QB under center?

Nov 9, 2020, 12:34 PM

The one play where BC ran the ball 97 yards for a TD on a fumble was a play from under center as well.

You can't pick and choose which plays you want to highlight from a formation.

Going under center is not "more creativity".

"No more Rob Spence plays"...... it's almost like you have to call lots of screens when you can't run the ball because your G,C,G are getting beat.

The screen game is a positive for this team right now. A 4 yard screen is the same as a 4 yard run except that it counts as passing yards.

Nov 9, 2020, 12:43 PM

Nothing like retreating five yards to pick up 1 yard these days. Don't understand modern football at all.

Nov 9, 2020, 4:58 PM

grrowl said:

Nothing like retreating five yards to pick up 1 yard these days. Don't understand modern football at all.

Thank you. Dumbest. Thing. Ever.

Line up under center which gives you the best advantage and the most options to pick up that 1yd on the ground... which the Defense is focused on stopping, if you are simply going to jam it in there. But, lo and behold play action is super effective as well if you want to throw as well..

It is simply football group-think.. born from the shotgun being "the thing" for the last decades.

At first, making the QB a passing threat and putting him under center was innovative...and the single wing with the direct snaps fell out of favor. With the T, Wing T, I, Wishbone, Veer etc. Group-think established itself that doing anything other than under center was too risky for fear of fumbling.

Then came the "new" thing with the spread and those brave innovators started using that risky shotgun snap... and now here we are. With shotgun only offenses.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2020, 4:43 PM

I agree OP. with where your line of thinking is going.

Play action is more effective when the QB is under center. Inside run plays hit quicker and with more authority as the RB can is moving vertically at full speed by the time he is at the line and the sneak (or QB dive) is always a threat. Every single play in the playbook can be run from there. Shotgun makes it easier for the QB to see the field but play action is not as effective and the potential playbook options (different backfield action) is limited. The pistol tries to bring some of the playbook back in to the shotgun formation but that puts the back even further behind the LOS ...making your OL have to hold run blocks even longer still!

We can look at "under center vs shotgun" and pass distribution data from the NFL and without talking about shifts and motions etc really see some interesting stuff when compared to our offense.

from 2019 data... NFL teams run an average of 35-40% of their plays from under center. 68% of the time (on average) they run from under center. Out of the SG they run 30% of the time (ish). Keeps the defense honest and since it's more likely a pass... you catch the defense gaming a pass rush and break big runs.

Pass distribution shows that the NFL is really a short passing league. That is where the majority of the throws go and where the majority of completions are. Inside of 20yrds. Many inside of 10yds. With extensive use of the middle 3/5's of the field. I quick googled and found a distribution map showing almost 30% of throws are in the middle 3/5ths and under 10yds... pretty much indicative of TE/Tight slot use in the pass game. Including middle throws out to 20yrds, (the total area of the field primarily covered by LBs).. 39% of total throws.

I'm not going to bash, and I'm not a professional coach, however I think I see some "opportunities" here. To maybe help get more out of the talent that we have available. And specifically do some things that will help our OL and to open up our run game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic