Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pump the brakes on bashing the defense... Here's why...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Pump the brakes on bashing the defense... Here's why...

Oct 31, 2020, 6:56 PM

Since BV came here, there has been one thing you can bet on each time out... he is going to bring pressure, and put his secondary in man to man situations. Venables philosophy is simple:

To beat us, you are going to have to make a good throw, under pressure, and your WR is going to have to make a play against my DB. If you can do that consistently, you deserve to win.

Go back and look at the first half... We got all kinds of pressure, and they got the ball off just in time. Their WRs made those plays (like the one against DK and the one at the end of the half). In the 2nd half, they did not make those plays.

Bottom line is, we did what we always do defensively. We brought pressure and forced QBs and WRs to make plays under that pressure in man to man situations. Kudos to BC for making those plays in the 1st half.

Next week, against ND, BV will bring pressure... and guess what -- DK and Booth will be in man to man situations.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and from what I have seen of ND, Book and his

Oct 31, 2020, 7:03 PM

receivers will not make those plays consistently. I think ND is a very good matchup for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pump the brakes on bashing the defense... Here's why...

Oct 31, 2020, 7:04 PM

He gets better as the game goes on. That said we covered no one the first qtr. Later one experienced guy was caught loafint on what couyld have been a big throw. DBs were seldom in phase and out tackling was not very solid whereas BC got there and dropped us like a rock most times

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 7:47 PM

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But, in my opinion, the refs were far to lenient on BC’s OL. They held on virtually every play. If they flag holding consistently, that game has a far different complexion.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2020, 8:49 PM

Spot on. It's riskier to give a QB more time to try to pick you apart. I'm fine with the strategy.

Oct 31, 2020, 9:40 PM

Also, as a former OSU coach, they're really good T planning and scripting the first 15-20 plays. They've been planning for this game since when he started. And it was a brilliant plan.

But then BV adjusted and when they started to have to play on the fly, the wheels fell off. Don't get me wrong we can't start this poorly against ND next week, but our D has shown they will respond.

Oct 31, 2020, 9:53 PM

It was very surprising - and telling - that BC drove down the field and scored two easy TD's on their first two drives and only the one drive just before halftime after. I was amazed to see that Jurkovec only had 204 yards passing because he was throwing like a man possessed in those first two drives. The adjustments were awesome. It's concerning that we didn't start well, and I don't understand it, but the def played well in the second half. Can anyone explain why the second half was so different? What changed?

Oct 31, 2020, 10:07 PM

I think we played with more urgency but also BC wasn't running as tight of routes and the throws weren't pin point.

He still had the same open looks but the throws weren't going the way they scripted them as he became less comfortable with the play calling.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic