Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Yeah China
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 549

Yeah China

Jan 18, 2021, 7:13 AM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-is-the-only-major-economy-to-report-economic-growth-for-2020-11610936187

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah China

Jan 18, 2021, 7:28 AM

Probably because they can force their people to do whatever they want during covid. We wing it here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Colleges do what China does.

Jan 18, 2021, 8:01 AM

They test everyone like crazy. If positive they remove you to a quarantine facility. Then return you once you're well. Still their numbers are BS. It can be managed if you take freedom and chunk it out the door. That's why we're #1. Freedom ain't free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Colleges do what China does.

Jan 18, 2021, 8:15 AM

Are you suggesting that the half million deaths that we are bound to reach are a reasonable price to be paid for refusing to accept scientifically motivated restrictions on our movements and interactions on a temporary basis ?

Probably. There can be a lot more than 600,000 deaths

Jan 18, 2021, 9:17 AM

if we sacrifice our freedom and nation. Climate change is also an example of science being used to restrict freedom, but mainly it's a money making venture. But yeah, science is used a lot to justify very broad range of limitations on freedom.

Did you know in the spring covid relief law they slipped in a mandate, on the states, to all pass laws restricting the age to purchase tobacco and increase it to 21yo? Yes, for a state to receive those funds, it would be required to pass a law increasing the age to 21 for purchasing tobacco. Not all states would have done that on their own. Heck, few would have. But that's an example of Congress using our own money to enact federal laws they could never enact unilaterally, using our own tax dollars. Same thing for the nationwide 55mph speed limit. Same thing for the 21yo drinking age. Same for everything the federal government wants to mandate that it can't rely on states to do.

What is to stop them from mandating masks nationwide as an attachment to the next covid bill? Or travel restrictions, or whatever?

I remember asking a convenience store clerk about the change in the tobacco age back in the spring. She said it sucked and then railed on McMaster, and our state politicians. I then asked her how she liked her relief check. Oh, she loved that. That was the federal government doing a good job. I then told her if McMaster et. al. didn't pass that tobacco law, the state would have been denied covid relief funds. McMaster tried to use the funds to fund private schools. It was worth it for him in that regard. When I asked her if her covid relief check was worth the increase in the tobacco age, she looked mortified. SHe literally had no clue how that change happened or came to be. No one does.

We are not well led. We are not operating as our founders intended. And that explains everything. Not some qanon conspiracy, or climate change, or anything else.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Probably. There can be a lot more than 600,000 deaths

Jan 18, 2021, 9:49 AM

Tiggity,

I take your point about hiding unrelated matters in larger bills. However, I don't think that addresses my point. The things that we have been asked to do to mitigate this virus are pretty small compared to the number of American lives that we might have saved.

Under the social contract, the limiting of some individual liberties can lead to a far greater freedom for the group as a whole.

Jan 18, 2021, 10:20 AM

Jan 18, 2021, 12:04 PM

T3,

I am aware that the economic consequences of this virus have been greatly removed from me personally. That does not mean that I am unaware of those consequences on the families in my community.

I wonder what the people who lived through WW II (at home and abroad) would say about the sacrifices that we are being asked to make to save American lives. Those people pulled together and sacrificed for four years - and have been called "the Greatest Generation for it.

I wonder what history will call this current generation ?

Jan 18, 2021, 12:18 PM

Jan 18, 2021, 2:19 PM

T3,

Why should young American males have gone all the way to Europe to save lousy Europeans from their own ? Why should Americans back home have rationed meat, & sugar, & coffee, etc. to help support young men foolish enough to volunteer to go to Europe. Why should they have gone soooo deeply in debt to support such a policy - or paid higher taxes to pay down that debt ?

In case you don't have an answer handy - it's because WE are Americans and WE are all at our best when we pull together against a common challenger. Just because this one is not in human form doesn't alter that fact.

So many Americans will sacrifice and spend any amount of money on swords, but balk at the idea of doing the same for plowshares.

Jan 18, 2021, 5:42 PM

Re: us going to Europe...without the U.S., we have a pretty good idea now, after the fact, that either the Germans would have taken Europe, taken Europe and Russia, or Russia would have taken Germany and Europe.

In either of the Germany survives scenarios, there is a very high probability the Germans (+ Japanese maybe) would have attacked the US homeland in a big way. For sure bombings and naval attacks, maybe a land invasion.

The Germans were so far ahead of the world in most technologies. If Hitler wasn't so warped, he could have taken over the world, at least for a brief period of time...Everyone would be driving a Benz, or a Beetle :)

Jan 18, 2021, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Probably. There can be a lot more than 600,000 deaths ]

Tobias: Under the social contract, the limiting of some individual liberties can lead to a far greater freedom for the group as a whole.

Please explain. You're assuming way to much. Trusting Biden is very dangerous, right?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.***

Jan 18, 2021, 10:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Colleges do what China does. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"science"***

Jan 18, 2021, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Colleges do what China does. ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

See.... This is why we need a President for life.

Jan 18, 2021, 7:55 AM

https://youtu.be/KG7jAiHbPjU

Should have just given them the 1200 checks.

Jan 18, 2021, 10:21 AM

that the people who were employed did not need.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait. We're going to argue about whether we measure up

Jan 18, 2021, 10:29 AM

to info China gives us?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 549
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic