Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the redshirt rule means for Kelly Bryant...and Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

What the redshirt rule means for Kelly Bryant...and Clemson

Jun 27, 2018, 2:41 PM

I figured we were going to have transfers this offseason...I honestly just thought we were going to have two of them. The loser of the Trevor Lawrence/Hunter Johnson battle was always going to transfer (sorry, 5-star QB's don't sit their careers behind even a superstar, because they don't have to), and I also thought, if he got notably outplayed in the Spring, Kelly Bryant was a strong candidate to bolt as well. He still had a redshirt year in his pocket, he had graduated to boot...that gave him 2 years to play 1, and with his last year of eligibility I figured he might use it somewhere to make a last run at the NFL. Arkansas - who obviously are going to be running the Chad Morris offense we still run here at Clemson - struck me as a strong possibility. Alternatively, I thought he maybe he might take a redshirt, sit for a season behind Jarrett Stidham, and transfer to Auburn, where Bryant might fit Malzahn's offense even better than he does ours.

Well, Bryant got outplayed (badly) in Spring Ball...but he's still here. Why? Just speculating...but it's teally interesting about the changes to the redshirting policy - which allows any redshirting player to still participate in up to four games while not losing a full playing year of eligibility. In this case, it's got a huge bearing: it means Bryant can stick and fight it out without much risk to that final year. Which might well be much to Bryant's benefit..and to Clemson's.

Why? Because Kelly Bryant might have some limitations as a thrower, but he is a top-tier athlete, a tough dude, a leader, and got it done to the tune of 12 wins last year. I don't think anyone wants him to just go away. And while everyone is all (justifiably) excited about Trevor Lawrence's potential, it would still have been a raw deal for Bryant to lose his job in Week 1 or Week 2, and then spend his senior year glumly watching his own NFL chance go down the drain from the bench as the freshman takes the team that Bryant did lead (very ably) as a junior. We watched poor Cullen Harper - also a true senior who never got to use that redshirt year - struggle through that weekly after he lost his job to Deshaun Watson...yes, it was exciting to watch Watson emerge like he did, it also hurt to watch for Harper. It would have been awful to watch again with Bryant. The dude has already been through a lot in his young life.

But Bryant doesn't have to worry about that anymore...because he still has that redshirt year left in his pocket if things don't go his way in the QB competition. If he loses out, it'll almost certainly be early in the season, and Clemson can commit to redshirting him (playing Chase Brice as our #2) and because Bryant's also graduated, Bryant could then transfer wherever he was confident of starting for the 2019-2020 season as long as he doesn't exceed four games in 2018-2019.

And here's where it could really benefit Clemson: in the hypothetical situation that Bryant does get beat out, Bryant can still remain available to come off the bench at Clemson in 2018-2019 if Lawrence were to suffer a significant or season-ending injury. Give Bryant a choice, and I can promise you: he wants to lead this team.

Thankfully, the redshirt rule changes allow that to remain an option for 2019. Which allow both Clemson and Bryant to have their cake...and seemingly eat it too.

So that redshirt rule change could end up being huge for us. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility it could save our season at some point. Which is an interesting thought to me, anyhow. FWIW.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the redshirt rule means for Kelly Bryant...and Clemson

Jun 27, 2018, 2:49 PM

I think you meant Cole Stoudt, not Cullen Harper

Jun 27, 2018, 2:50 PM

I think you meant Cole Stoudt, not Cullen Harper

Corrected by a Carolina Grad. Sigh.

I suppose I deserve to suffer for that.

Jun 27, 2018, 3:26 PM

Yeah that's gotta be a bitter pill to swallow lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Re: What the redshirt rule means for Kelly Bryant...and Clemson ]

GOSH WHAT WOULD THIS SITE DO WITHOUT YOU. PLEASE LET US TRY.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tu to carolinagrad!***

Jun 27, 2018, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: What the redshirt rule means for Kelly Bryant...and Clemson ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Cole Stoudt

Jun 27, 2018, 2:55 PM

It was Cole Stoudt, not Cullen Harper.

[And Harper's comments in the wake of the coaching change were sufficient to make me at the best ambivalent to his plight in the football universe.]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty sure this only applies to freshmen.

Jun 27, 2018, 3:01 PM

I don't think you can redshirt a player after they've played other than due to medical reasons. And I think the rule would therefore only allow freshmen to play in 4 games... Don't think KB redshirting is possible.

Edit: I tried to do some digging and saw some comments in when it was proposed a year ago that would allow it to apply retroactively, but couldn't find anything in the actual change that said it would actually apply retroactively. If it applies retroactively, then KB might be able to claim 2016 as a redshirt year. But I doubt that is how it works.

Message was edited by: gtriple®

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Pretty sure this only applies to freshmen.

Jun 27, 2018, 4:49 PM

I don't think you can redshirt a player after they've played other than due to medical reasons. And I think the rule would therefore only allow freshmen to play in 4 games... Don't think KB redshirting is possible.

Nope. Applies to all redshirts, unless there's language in the rule I just didn't see.

Guys can take their redshirt years at any time...and do, for various reasons. Adam Choice played as a true freshman, tore his ACL, and wasn't (nearly) all the way back as a sophomore...so he redshirted, and was considered a redshirt sophomore in his third year.

Re: Pretty sure this only applies to freshmen.

Jun 27, 2018, 6:37 PM

So you mean like if his momma was sick and lived near cootlumbia he could redshirt? No questions asked??
Interesting.

So you want KB to redshirt

Jun 28, 2018, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Pretty sure this only applies to freshmen. ]

for what would be his senior season? Why? He has already graduated and could transfer anywhere and play now. Why just wait around another year for no purpose?

Also, the Choice redshirt was for a medical reason...

I did double check and you can take a redshirt any year for lots of reasons, but players very rarely take them after their freshman season other than for medical issues.

I also checked and the redshirt does not apply retroactively.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Jun 27, 2018, 3:43 PM

I thoroughly enjoy your posts but I would have to respectively disagree on this one. I really don't see any scenario that KB goes to the NFL unless he's transformed over the summer and I don't see that happening because it was supposed to happen last summer. The camps and instructors etc that he's worked with. and that's ok, most never make it to the NFL. KB has a degree, several championship rings and I really think he's mature enough to accept TL taking over if that's what happens.

KB is a good athlete - not sure I'd classify him as exceptional. In addition, I wouldn't attribute all 12 wins last year as "KB" wins. The defense had a lot to say about it... and imo really is what won us as many games as we did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2018, 6:00 PM

I thoroughly enjoy your posts but I would have to respectively disagree on this one. I really don't see any scenario that KB goes to the NFL unless he's transformed over the summer and I don't see that happening because it was supposed to happen last summer. The camps and instructors etc that he's worked with. and that's ok, most never make it to the NFL. KB has a degree, several championship rings and I really think he's mature enough to accept TL taking over if that's what happens.

KB is a good athlete - not sure I'd classify him as exceptional. In addition, I wouldn't attribute all 12 wins last year as "KB" wins. The defense had a lot to say about it... and imo really is what won us as many games as we did.

I think what Quozzel was getting it (or maybe just my thought) is that originally, KB2 should have been redshirted, but due to depth had to play as a true fresh. With an extra year of polishing, MAYBE KB2 could blow it up like the caliber of player we'd love to see him develop into.

Whether that would happen or not is another story, but I like where Quozzel is coming from as far as the best case scenario working out for KB2 if the writing on the wall becomes more apparent the closer we get to spotting the dadgum ball.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly Bryant isn’t a quitter and a lot of teams

Jun 27, 2018, 3:55 PM

Would love to have him as their QB. All Clemson fans should be thankful Bryant is still here, because this team would be on a razor thin margin of error with only two freshman QB on the roster. I find it amazing how unappreciated some Clemson fans are of Bryant, and I can only hope they’re a vocal minority. If Clemson would have had to start Hunter Johnson last year we finish 8-4 at best. I’m sorry all you 5 star lovers H-J was a very raw talent who played against competition in high school with less talent than an average Sunday afternoon pick up touch football game on Boman Field. KB2 carried this team through the first 6 games and the fact so many on here don’t acknowledge this is just beyond belief, I truly hope this view is just a TigerNet phenomenon.

YeP..b/4 2017 season we were lamenting about a 9-10 win season

Jun 27, 2018, 6:22 PM

with no CFP game at all. Saying, KellyB did a fantastic job after DW4 lit up the World and would have probably beat Cuse if not being picked up & violently slammed to ground.

Oh, reminds me that this tackling tactic should be outlawed which even Ben Bouleware did couple times (even in Bama Natty win game). No reason to slam a player down to the ground when the object is to simply tackle him..imho.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Kelly Bryant isn’t a quitter and a lot of teams

Jun 27, 2018, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Kelly Bryant isn’t a quitter and a lot of teams ]

Nah, you really can’t say what HJ would have been. Maybe we end up 15-0 and nat champs. Really can’t say. kB did good but he really didn’t do anything special. He managed the team the way coordinators wanted. Not many mistakes, not many explosive plays. They knew with the D we had and the depth that we had, we could take a lot of 3 and outs and possibly break a play late in games once the D was worn down.

Our D was so spectacular, imo being honest we end up with the same record last year no matter who played QB. Even chase. The only reason HJ looked so green is he never got first team reps.

I think we’ll all see what HJ can do once he takes over Northwestern.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 AM

Kerigan, i agree with your post, except for one aspect--with any other starter at QB, we don't emerge from Sept 2017 unbeaten.
Our defense played lights out, so none of those games were really close. I can see coaches putting together a game plan with one of our young guys so that we would have won close games at Louisville and VaTech, albeit without any swagger.
But i think Auburn was a tougher nut. The offense barely did enough to win, but KB had 3 critical runs and 1 barely serviceable pass that Ray Ray turned into a big play. The fact that we finished our only 2 drives with TDs--thanks to KB--meant our defense could protect an 8-point lead against an offense that still had no clue how to play together. That defense vs Auburn was the most dominant D performance I've ever seen, but it all would have been for naught without those 4 offensive plays.
(I do think that if we had played Auburn late in the year, like GA and Bama did, after their offense gelled and they had film to see how one-dimensional our offense was, they beat us by at least 14.)
Of course, losing to Auburn wouldn't have directly kept us from the CFP, since that was non-conference. So if HJ or even Zerrick had played well enough before, there is no reason to think we would have laid such an egg in Syracuse. If we had both an Auburn loss and a Cuse loss, i doubt we get invited to the CFP even with a blowout win in the ACCCG.

So i really do really appreciate what KB brought to the team last year. But Bama exposed his limitations with devastating cruelty, just as Miami's defense showcased his strengths. This year's opponents may not have the ability to play the same scheme as Bama did, but KB will face that kind of pressure all year. Nobody will lay back and let him throw underneath like Miami did. With an easier schedule, and an awesome D, 2018 looks like a great season to break in some new QBs.

Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Kelly Bryant isn’t a quitter and a lot of teams ]

Kerigan, i agree with your post, except for one aspect--with any other starter at QB, we don't emerge from Sept 2017 unbeaten.
Our defense played lights out, so none of those games were really close. I can see coaches putting together a game plan with one of our young guys so that we would have won close games at Louisville and VaTech, albeit without any swagger.
But i think Auburn was a tougher nut. The offense barely did enough to win, but KB had 3 critical runs and 1 barely serviceable pass that Ray Ray turned into a big play. The fact that we finished our only 2 drives with TDs--thanks to KB--meant our defense could protect an 8-point lead against an offense that still had no clue how to play together. That defense vs Auburn was the most dominant D performance I've ever seen, but it all would have been for naught without those 4 offensive plays.
(I do think that if we had played Auburn late in the year, like GA and Bama did, after their offense gelled and they had film to see how one-dimensional our offense was, they beat us by at least 14.)
Of course, losing to Auburn wouldn't have directly kept us from the CFP, since that was non-conference. So if HJ or even Zerrick had played well enough before, there is no reason to think we would have laid such an egg in Syracuse. If we had both an Auburn loss and a Cuse loss, i doubt we get invited to the CFP even with a blowout win in the ACCCG.

So i really do really appreciate what KB brought to the team last year. But Bama exposed his limitations with devastating cruelty, just as Miami's defense showcased his strengths. This year's opponents may not have the ability to play the same scheme as Bama did, but KB will face that kind of pressure all year. Nobody will lay back and let him throw underneath like Miami did. With an easier schedule, and an awesome D, 2018 looks like a great season to break in some new QBs.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic