Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any Tiger Band alums out there know this??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Any Tiger Band alums out there know this??

Nov 7, 2020, 7:56 AM

The Orange Bowl March & Tiger Rag. When were these two songs arranged together to create the “Sock It To ‘Em”/“Tiger Rag” version that we all know today?

And, is the usage of “The Orange Bowl March” exclusive to Clemson or do any other schools use it?

It is the marriage of two catchy tunes that makes for one classic fight song that we all love. The first few notes always make me catch my breath!!

Thanks for info, if you have any. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pre 1988***

Nov 7, 2020, 8:04 AM

Re: Any Tiger Band alums out there know this??

Nov 7, 2020, 8:06 AM

Memory fades, but I want to say back in the mid 1980s. I do remember they made us stop the UGA tag / post tiger. Didn’t allow us to play it as everyone singing I guess got picked up on national TV.

Pre 1984 ..... we were doing it my freshman year - 1984

Nov 7, 2020, 8:11 AM

I love the combination, too. Uniquely Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Pre 1984 ..... we were doing it my freshman year - 1984

Nov 7, 2020, 8:54 AM

I was a freshman in 1973 and it was already a staple at games and pep rallies. And..... I lived on B5 Johnstone and on Game Day Saturdays, Tiger Band would assemble at the top of the hill leading down to the stadium, the tubas would hit that first note, and we would all start yelling & cheering and follow the down the hill to & into the stadium.

Great memories. :)

Re: Pre 1984 ..... we were doing it my freshman year - 1984

Nov 7, 2020, 9:00 AM

And I think Tiger Band was still wearing the bear skin hats at that time. I am happy they switched a few years later.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:39 AM

Jim Copenhaver was a 2 yr replacement for band director Bruce Cook startung in 71 while Bruce worked on his doctorate. JC remade the pregame show and selected OBM to pair w TR. When Bruce returned from UT (?) he kept it in. JC also installed fhe slide step in the middle of the march.

Nov 7, 2020, 10:42 AM

That is an impressive piece of detailed Clemson history. Kudos to you.

Nov 7, 2020, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Any Tiger Band alums out there know this?? ]

Thank you for the info! I have wondered about this for many years. Now I can get some sleep at night!! *laugh*

But I am not sure what you mean by “slide step”?

Nov 7, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Tiger Band alums out there know this?? ]

Playing in the band was one of my favorite memories from my years in Tigertown. I was in "Tiger Band" under Bruce Cook in the mid 60's. It may have been his first year as band director. Few people know that the fanfare used prior to "Tiger Rag" was written specifically for Clemson as a "fight song" along with "Tiger Rag". The Clemson College Band began playing “Tiger Rag” in 1942 after student band director, Dean Ross, found the sheet music in an Atlanta music store and brought it back to campus for football games. I'm not sure when the “Tiger Fanfare” was added to the “Tiger Rag” sequence, but we were playing it when I was in the band.

Nov 7, 2020, 12:24 PM

Is the “Fanfare” you refer to the same as “Sock ItTo ‘Em” or is it another piece of music?

Nov 7, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Any Tiger Band alums out there know this?? ]

Also, Bruce Cook was the equivalent of a players coach. He was loved by all tiger band members. His wife worked in Sirrine Hall and helped my marketing team on a project for school- wonderful lady. His kids hung around the band practices and I ended up working one summer with his son- had a blast at that job. Just an all around great family. Sad news when he did pass away.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:48 AM

The Orange Bowl March seemed really appropriate in recent years since the Orange Bowl became home of the ACC champion.

I wish the band would line up and march down the field military style from the West endzone and play that combo for their entrance. I never cared for the piped in music and running onto the field they do now. Loved Auburn's band entrance when we played there.

Nov 7, 2020, 10:07 AM

Always wondered myself.... It was in use in 1984 when I started Tiger Band. TU to Ancient Tiger for the history. I did find info on Henry Fillmore on the Interwebs...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Fillmore

Thx for new knowledge & here are 3 pics of Shriners.

Nov 7, 2020, 11:55 AM

Love their fun activities!

Oh, last pic is of Founder.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to the song

Nov 7, 2020, 12:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrX3IWSbbF8

The Orange Bowl March was written by H. Fillmore in 1939.

Nov 7, 2020, 2:22 PM

He's from Miami, so he wrote it in honor of the bowl. Tiger Band still plays a cut, but otherwise unedited version of the original 1939 score. The opening Tiger Fanfare is some Clemson spice from Dr. Spede added in 2003, as is the iconic cymbal crash between the March and Tiger Rag. Tiger Rag was copyrighted by the Original Dixieland Jazz Band in 1917, and cadet bandmaster Dean Ross purchased the score for $1.50 from the Old Southern Music Company in Atlanta in 1941. It was played after every touchdown in 1942, and the rest is history! At some point, Paul Yoder arranged our version of the song. No idea when the March and Tiger Rag were first played back-to-back, but it obviously would have been since '42.

I assume other schools can use the March, as it wasn't written for us specifically. I don't know if we bought the rights to it or anything like that, but I can't think of any others that play it off the top of my head.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic