Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Poll: Will pay-for-play affect your donation to IPTAY?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Poll: Will pay-for-play affect your donation to IPTAY?

Oct 3, 2019, 11:26 AM

Just wondering, as I've seen a few posts on this for people who currently donate to IPTAY/athletics. Does it really affect Clemson?

Does paying players affect your contributions to IPTAY/athletics?    [Results]

Yes, I'll donate less or none
No, I'll donate the same amount
Undecided
military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Poll: Will pay-for-play affect your donation to IPTAY?

Oct 3, 2019, 11:31 AM

No, I'll still be poor.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 11:43 AM

Check.

Oct 3, 2019, 11:36 AM

My new spring donations would go up fo sho!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 11:46 PM

According to gamecock fans, their money would technically be unnecessary at this point because the athletes are now getting paid.

Rulling has NOTHING to do with schools

Oct 3, 2019, 11:41 AM

or how they raise money... pay to students would come from 3rd party/booster organizations, directly to the student athlete.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

It means we wouldn't have to hide our NewSpring® donations***

Oct 4, 2019, 7:40 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: Rulling has NOTHING to do with schools

Oct 4, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Rulling has NOTHING to do with schools ]

We will have to cut the donations to Iptay and find us a five star to sponsor. (Seems like the way it will work.)

Oct 4, 2019, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Rulling has NOTHING to do with schools ]

We will have to cut the donations to Iptay and find us a five star to sponsor. (Seems like the way it will work.)

Oct 4, 2019, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Rulling has NOTHING to do with schools ]

You better read D Rads comments on the matter. He says if players are getting paid they will not get schollys.

Mine will drop to zero ***

Oct 3, 2019, 12:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Althought IPTAY donations wouldn't be going to pay the .....

Oct 3, 2019, 12:31 PM

players, I have a hard time donating money to kids who might make my annual salary from endorsements and get a free ride to college. Just think what guys like Trevor, Tua, Zion (last year), Justin Fields, etc. could get paid. And just think how many times we would see these guys and hear these guys on TV and radio commercials.

I wish they would amend this law so that those student-athletes making money from an endorsement wouldn't get a scholarship once their income passed a certain level. I've got no problem with guys making reasonable money for running or participating in camps. But I don't want my IPTAY money going to a scholarship for a guy who is making 30k a year appearing in commercials.

I'm also of the opinion that if these guys choose to take endorsements that their income be taxed, including the value of their scholarship. Maybe there could be a way to elect what type of scholarship you would agree to take. A taxable scholarship that would allow you to make money off your likeness, or a non-taxable scholarship that keeps most of today's rules in place for that player.

Re: Althought IPTAY donations wouldn't be going to pay the .....

Oct 4, 2019, 11:58 AM

BRgolfer said:

players, I have a hard time donating money to kids who might make my annual salary from endorsements and get a free ride to college. Just think what guys like Trevor, Tua, Zion (last year), Justin Fields, etc. could get paid. And just think how many times we would see these guys and hear these guys on TV and radio commercials.

I wish they would amend this law so that those student-athletes making money from an endorsement wouldn't get a scholarship once their income passed a certain level. I've got no problem with guys making reasonable money for running or participating in camps. But I don't want my IPTAY money going to a scholarship for a guy who is making 30k a year appearing in commercials.

I'm also of the opinion that if these guys choose to take endorsements that their income be taxed, including the value of their scholarship. Maybe there could be a way to elect what type of scholarship you would agree to take. A taxable scholarship that would allow you to make money off your likeness, or a non-taxable scholarship that keeps most of today's rules in place for that player.

This is the most reasonable well thought out take regarding this that I have actually read. I am not sure if I agree completely but you make a lot of sense, rather than the canned "the players already make scholarship money, that's enough!" tired take. You actually came up with other solutions as a starting point rather than erroneously stating that its going to create "recruiting advantages" for certain schools. There are already recruiting advantage in place now for a lot of schools. All that's different now is where all the money is going.

Oct 3, 2019, 12:36 PM

I support amateur sports. If, and depending on how, that changes I will no longer give anything or attend any games. I don’t go to professional sporting events

Oct 3, 2019, 1:56 PM

Well said, money corrupts. College sports will become another NFL.

The coaches caused this..

Oct 3, 2019, 2:10 PM

Ncca is non profit
Most schools are non profit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Oct 3, 2019, 2:05 PM

Yes. Depending on how it is done. It seems evident that there is no value placed on the things that our donations are providing, so what’s the point? They can sink our swim with the revenue generated by the free market.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 2:38 PM

What about a fourth option? I'll give more.

Oct 4, 2019, 9:31 AM

I'm not paying for scholarships for people being paid. Pay your own way through school.

Has anyone stopped to consider there's an ulterior motive

Oct 4, 2019, 9:44 AM

for all this?

Who runs California? Liberals
Who has the most to gain from killing off interest in the manly, testosterone laden sport of American football? Liberals

You think for one second they don't know what the mainstream America reaction to this will be? It will be the same effect as players taking a knee during the National Anthem. Where did that nonsense start? California

Political correctness has already permeated our beloved sport to the point of no return. You need look no further than the push to change mascots, which some schools have already done. And as crappy an owner as Daniel Snider is, the next owner of the Washington Redskins will follow suit. Count on it.

Corruption of all kinds will follow any new rules to pay college players. You can not avoid it. And many people will say to hell with college sports, just as they have with the NFL, the NBA, and MLB.

Oct 4, 2019, 10:29 AM

Well if it becomes legal to pay players for their likeness, I will donate nothing to IPTAY. I will then find a top 10 high school recruit and let him know that my new company, “Bestrecruitsgotoclemson.com” would like to Pay him 50,000 dollars to sign a football and some cleats, if he comes to Clemson. We will pay him an additional 10,000 dollars for his likeness for every sack he gets.

I will subsequently get outbid by Texas aTm, who has 2 fans doing the exact same thing for every one of ours.

Oct 4, 2019, 4:52 PM

Imagine smaller schools trying to compete with schools where enrollment is 10x their total enrollment.

Oct 4, 2019, 5:19 PM

How’s that any different from right now? How many schools can afford our facilities? How many can build and fill an 80,000 seat stadium? How many can pay what we do for a coaching staff?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic