Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell is too inconsistent.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

Brownell is too inconsistent.

Jan 20, 2021, 8:26 PM

That is why everyone gets frustrated with him.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please explain how this is on Brownell***

Jan 20, 2021, 8:44 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Please explain how this is on Brownell***

Jan 20, 2021, 8:46 PM

Surrendering 30 3’s in the last 2 games for starters?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't see him defending those shots.

Jan 20, 2021, 8:49 PM

UVA and Tech both shooting over 60% has nothing to do with coaching. Players are shown how to defend. These guys have been flat footed the last two games. At some point, people have to realize it's the players being inconsistent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't see him defending those shots.

Jan 20, 2021, 8:53 PM

And who is teaching the players and then putting them out there?

It is one thing to be out skilled - and another to be not in position to defend.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So......

Jan 20, 2021, 8:55 PM

If I teach you to drive a car safely and correctly, and you wreck, it's my fault?

If you teach 10 folks to drive and they consistently get in wrecks

Jan 20, 2021, 9:52 PM

Then yes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ THIS !!!***

Jan 21, 2021, 9:00 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Especially if you get paid $2.5 Million to teach driver’s ed.***

Jan 22, 2021, 7:32 AM [ in reply to If you teach 10 folks to drive and they consistently get in wrecks ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I didn't see him defending those shots.

Jan 20, 2021, 8:57 PM [ in reply to I didn't see him defending those shots. ]

Well I don’t claim to be a coach but have followed the game since birth. Perhaps recruit better players? Brownell has been at Clemson 11 years and has yet to put a player on an NBA roster. Practice squads don’t count. FSU will boat race this team Saturday with this lackluster play

It’s time Rad start to take a hard look. Clemson is bigger than an individual giving poor results

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame whoever you want..

Jan 21, 2021, 7:27 AM [ in reply to I didn't see him defending those shots. ]

Brownell has-been around for a decade and we know how it typically goes. I'm not giving up by any means but it's frustrating to be ranked so high and then get blown out two games in a row...including absolutely embarrassed at home.

If we can't blame Brownell then also remember to not give him credit. Because it's the players, not the coach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Blame whoever you want..

Jan 21, 2021, 9:10 AM

This exactly. I'll use football as an example to make the point. Let's say we lose a football game because our receivers dropped a bunch of passes. Maybe you can blame that loss on the receivers not making plays. Let's say we go on to lose 3 or 4 other games that season for the exact same reason, then you really start to question if at least the receivers coach is doing his job properly, and eventually question Dabo for not figuring out a way to correct the problem if it continues.

Re: Blame whoever you want..

Jan 21, 2021, 9:17 AM

but you can't use football.

3 games is a month, in BB it could only be a week. You can't take small trends like that.

The UVA game was about our guys just having a cold game, GT was about GT having a hot game. Heck, TO asside, we were even "hot" that game. I will always take a 50% from the arc stat... the 20 turnovers is a bit frustrating but they were coming from everyone - and even Simms

Modern basketball is going to have bigger swings - it is a lot less consistent than football. 2 games is just 2 games. If it continues for the rest of the season, then sure - lets draw the coaching out. However, take it that we ran into a slump and you just have to shoot your way out of the slump. With Covid, some teams come out rusty, other come out focused with a lot of tape.

Re: Please explain how this is on Brownell***

Jan 20, 2021, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Please explain how this is on Brownell*** ]

He is responsible. How can a team ranked 1st in defensively before Saturday now give up 15 3s in each of the last two games? It is not the COVID pause. Too many teams who have had pause have like Tech, FSU and Villanova have shown it shouldn’t put you in that much of a down spiral.

You mean besides the fact that he's the head coach?***

Jan 21, 2021, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Please explain how this is on Brownell*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You know ... the title ... head coach.***

Jan 21, 2021, 8:58 AM [ in reply to Please explain how this is on Brownell*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

You’re right. He’s only had 11 years.

Jan 21, 2021, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Please explain how this is on Brownell*** ]

How can we possibly hold him accountable for what happens on the court.

Give him time, people. C’mon man!!!!

I mean...after 47 years in Washington, we’re just now expecting wonderful things from Joe Biden.

Think about that! Brownell is pretty much still a baby.

Re: Brownell is too inconsistent.

Jan 20, 2021, 8:49 PM

He is a good coach for a football school. Does Gonzaga even have a football team. Get real people!!!

Jan 20, 2021, 8:54 PM

Yea, they have been undefeated for 50 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 20, 2021, 9:01 PM

Inconsistent? Nope. The Tiger Basketball team does this every January. Very consistent. When does baseball begin?

Have you looked at other college teams to see what their level of consistency is?***

Jan 20, 2021, 11:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Have you looked at other college teams to see what their level of consistency is?***

Jan 21, 2021, 7:49 AM

Better than ours who were ranked 12th in country. We won’t even be ranked next week.

Re: Have you looked at other college teams to see what their level of consistency is?***

Jan 21, 2021, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Have you looked at other college teams to see what their level of consistency is?*** ]

We are only a fews games above .500 since 1911, better over the last 40 years. But really not a program to get excited about. Footabll, soccer, and baseball much better.

Jan 21, 2021, 9:43 AM

Football.

On any given day, half of the teams that play...lose.

Jan 22, 2021, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Have you looked at other college teams to see what their level of consistency is?*** ]

I’ve heard that somewhere before.

Jan 21, 2021, 9:10 AM

The TO killed us... but then again when every bucket is falling for the other guys, things get forced.

That being said, you don't lose many games when shooting 50% from the arc.... unless the other team is shooting 62%. Big men do even have that %.

Call it a ACC road game and move on. Devoe had one of "those" games.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:05 AM

It appears to me that this team lacks the basics of the sport. Square up with your man defensively so less likely to get beat off the dribble. No excuse for the turns - poor and weak passing. When does a coach not handle someone who simply sits in the corner waiting for an open shot? And scores 20+ ? And that's how Hemmingway should be used. Not at the top of the key where he can't handle the ball and he's terrible defensively, but he got lots of minutes. I just don't see the effort or execution let alone coaching adjustments.

Jan 21, 2021, 10:56 AM

User Logo
donb
Walk-On [128]
TigerPulse: 97%
Posted: Jan 21, 2021, 10:05 AM

It appears to me that this team lacks the basics of the sport. Square up with your man defensively so less likely to get beat off the dribble. No excuse for the turns - poor and weak passing. When does a coach not handle someone who simply sits in the corner waiting for an open shot? And scores 20+ ? And that's how Hemmingway should be used. Not at the top of the key where he can't handle the ball and he's terrible defensively, but he got lots of minutes. I just don't see the effort or execution let alone coaching adjustments.

GOOD LORD AT ALL THE COACH NAISMITHS IN THE HOUSE. DID YOU MISS THE FIRST 10 GAMES WHEN WE WERE BEATING FSU AND PURDUE AND NCS AD GIVING UP 50 A GAME. THIS IS STILL A GOOD TEAM THAT JUST HAS GOTTEN INTO A FUNK AFTER THE COVID SHUTDOWN FOR WHATEVER REASON. BUT HEY SLIDE ON THAT WALMART CLEMSON T AND TELL US MORE. PLEASE.

You do realize there is a 'Quote Original' button so you

Jan 21, 2021, 11:30 AM

don't have to copy and paste? And, you do realize that ALL CAPS are difficult to read? So, I am guessing people just skip over your posts because of these reasons.

Jan 21, 2021, 4:58 PM

The administration has everything they want in Brownell He will be there for many years to come I quit watching several years ago at age 73 and a passionate Tiger I could not handle the beating# 1 and losing to # 75 Just the moment you think he is taking off we flop and het embarrassed We can’t get former players sons to come for that and some other reasons Brad Bowden should be his name

No, he's not.....

Jan 21, 2021, 5:15 PM

I once had a school teacher who told me that I was a nonconformist. I said "No ma'am, I'm not. Since a nonconformist by definition must conform to the conforms of nonconformity, I am therefore a conformist".

As for Brownell, he is consistently inconsistent, therefore he is consistent.

Way too heavy for me to read this early in the morning.

Jan 22, 2021, 8:41 AM

But, sadly, you are exactly right. The movie plays the same every year. Coach well for a goodly stretch, get everybody's hopes up that this is the year, and then, like Lucy, yank the ball away at the last possible second, or even before. Truly Tommy Bowdenesque.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic