Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playoff changes I would make
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Playoff changes I would make

Jul 18, 2018, 9:16 AM

8 Teams
5 power 5 conference champions IN
3 at large selected by committee

Seeded by the committee 1-8

Top 4 host 1st round games before Christmas.

Semis and Finals follow the same schedule as previous years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

I would agree with all of that,

Jul 18, 2018, 9:18 AM

if four wasn't perfect.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

+1

Jul 18, 2018, 10:57 AM

4 is the right number. Just because you win your conference doesn’t mean you’re good enough to win a national championship and throughout the playoff era there hasn’t been more than 4 teams good enough to win a title in a given year

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Playoff changes I would make

Jul 18, 2018, 9:33 AM

Agree with first post but would add these changes.

Also eliminate Notre Dame's special inclusion. If they want to play join a power 5 conference and it does not necessarily have to be the ACC.

Also eliminate one game from the regular season schedule so there is no increased load on the players. Do we really need to see both Furman and Ga. Southern. One tune up game with a FCS team then the real season.

Any team that makes the playoff must have won their division or conference. No more I think this is the best team so they get in the playoff.

Strength of schedule will be determining factor for wild card teams.

I completely agree about Notre Dame...

Jul 18, 2018, 10:49 AM

The special exception bull$#!7 for them needs to stop.

EIther join a conference or get used to being left on the outside looking in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Notre Dame consistently plays

Jul 18, 2018, 11:08 AM

A top 10-15 schedule in terms of SOS so if they were to get in to an 8 team playoff with 0-2 losses they would have definitely earned it.

I would like them to join a conference (and contractually it would have to be the ACC) but would have no problem with them getting in the playoff for going 11-1 or 12-2 with their normal schedule.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Playoff changes I would make ]

waterboyII said:

Any team that makes the playoff must have won their division or conference. No more I think this is the best team so they get in the playoff.

So hypothetically, FSU goes 12-0 and finishes ranked #1, we go 11-1 with our only loss a close game at Tallahassee where we lead most of the game, and we finish ranked #2. You're fine with us being automatically excluded from an 8-team playoff? And for added fun, SC wins the SEC East, finishes 10-3 and gets the #8 playoff spot, and obviously they had lost to us in this scenario.

I would still have a bit of heartburn...

Jul 18, 2018, 9:58 AM

with some mediocre Pac 12 champion getting in with a record of 10-3 in which case, you'd have at-large teams that are better than a conference champion.

That aside, I still think this format is the most plausible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I would still have a bit of heartburn...

Jul 18, 2018, 10:22 AM

I would seed the 8 so a mediocre champion could end up the 8 seed but I think you keep the big 5 happy by automatic bid for each champion as it should be in my opinion.

Water the Point Tree

Jul 18, 2018, 10:25 AM

I would also like to see 1-2 of those at-large spots earmarked for FCS teams.

If not, the FCS should just start their own playoff.

Is this sarcasm?

Jul 18, 2018, 10:55 AM

The FCS already has a playoff

Jul 18, 2018, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Playoff changes I would make ]

I think you meant Non-Power 5????

Jul 18, 2018, 11:02 AM

The only problem is that would make the non conference schedule meaningless. There would be no point in scheduling a Texas A&M or Auburn any more.

I think hosting a 1st round game is pretty big incentive***

Jul 18, 2018, 11:39 AM

Water the Point Tree

Re: I think hosting a 1st round game is pretty big incentive***

Jul 18, 2018, 12:22 PM

For teams that make the playoffs yes....

But you can go ahead and scratch all the excitement surrounding the non conference matchups the first couple weeks of the season and the rivalry games at the end.

Jul 18, 2018, 11:51 AM

One change I would propose is that you do away with seedings. They mean nothing. So far, a #1 seed has NOT won the National Championship. Last year, #4 beat #1, and #3 beat #2. Then, #4 won the National Championship.How exciting would it be to have the 4 teams drawn from a hat to see who plays who? I know it could wreak havoc with the bowl sponsors ( I still believe they have a LOT of influence on the committee for seeding order), but for the fans, it would add an element of surprise to the whole thing.

I vote to keep it at 4

Jul 18, 2018, 12:01 PM

various reasons, but the 2 biggest for me is:

-Most 8 team playoff "suggestions" involve all power 5 conference champions getting in automatically. I don't agree with that b/c it opens the door to having an 8-4/9-3 in the playoff who had a good day and won their conference title game.........that shouldn't be an automatic in IMO

-College football to me is all about the true fans/pageantry/atmosphere//etc......As we've seen with 4 teams, the average joe fan can't travel to texas/zona/miami (see our attendance in fiesta in 2016) for a semi game and then turn around 2 weeks later and head to miami/tampa/San Fran/Atlanta for the national title...........With 8 teams you add just another hurdle or game for the fans to "choose" to go and it just grows exponentially the more games you add to the mix.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic