Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Players opting out of bowl games, are they
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Players opting out of bowl games, are they

Dec 31, 2020, 8:30 AM

letting their team mates, fans and University down?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Players opting out of bowl games, are they

Dec 31, 2020, 8:52 AM

You know thats a tough one that I go back and forth on in my head. My initial thought is, you committed to play for this school and your teammates, and you should honor that commitment. Then you see things like King from Miami, and a couple of the Wisconsin guys yesterday. If I were a guy like Pitts last night who has already had to sit this year due to injury to the head, and I'm a projected top 10 pick, I'm 100% sitting out if my game isn't a playoff game.

I also think they don't owe the University anything. If you're a kid who is a top 2-3 round draft pick, you've made that university so much money (at big time schools of course) by doing your part in making their program successful. I think you've done your part for the school. After that, if the fans don't bother you, and you can live with your teammates opinions, you're home free.

All that to say I think its circumstantial. Selfishly, as a fan I hate it, but I don't blame these kids that have bigger opportunities for sitting out one bit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah - I remember a Clemson player several

Dec 31, 2020, 9:00 AM

years ago ( thinking Steve Berlin) who was a good lineman and he tore up a knee either in the last regular season game or a bowl. I am also against players going to tryout before the draft for individual teams after the Pro-days and the combine - who was our lineman who got injured doing the extra stuff for the Saints and hurt his draft status by a couple of rounds?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well put.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Players opting out of bowl games, are they ]

You summed up my feelings about it perfectly.

I just hope we can continue to get into the play-offs so we don't need to worry about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:01 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would rather have one opt out than do what Jayron Kearse

Dec 31, 2020, 9:04 AM

did. He took up space on the field, but put forth VERY little effort, and per the talking heads, may ultimately have COST himself draft position with his poor effort. His play certainly contributed to us losing that bowl playoff game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2020, 9:26 AM

TL16 is suiting up tomorrow night because he wants to avenge the title loss from January. The projected number one pick is playing. There were some talking heads that did not want him to play any this season. This is a decision that is going to vary from player to player. If they do opt out, they need to be banned from using campus facilities to prepare for the draft. Personally, I would be on the field playing with my TEAM.

Dec 31, 2020, 10:13 AM

TL16 is suiting up tomorrow night because he wants to avenge the title loss from January. The projected number one pick is playing. There were some talking heads that did not want him to play any this season. This is a decision that is going to vary from player to player. If they do opt out, they need to be banned from using campus facilities to prepare for the draft. Personally, I would be on the field playing with my TEAM.

Ban them from using facilities? Yeah that's great for recruiting. Do you think public perception sides with you or the player on that one? There's a reason why coaches aren't stupid enough to do what you are suggesting. Some of you can't see past your unreasonable super fandom.

Dec 31, 2020, 10:26 AM

You are correct. Public perception is going to side with the players on the use of the facilities. I do not live my life by public perception. I have to go with what I feel is morally correct. I personally could not ditch my teammates. That is just me. As far as super fandom, I am just a long time IPTAY member that has faithfully supported Clemson football, even during the down years. So loyalty is important to me. I practice what I preach.

Dec 31, 2020, 9:49 AM

Of course they are.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes***

Dec 31, 2020, 9:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2020, 9:53 AM

I may not advocate their decision, but I understand it perfectly. No complaint here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2020, 10:05 AM

I understand that they don't want to get hurt, but I still don't like it. I feel like they made a commitment for the year. All that being said, it is their decision to make. What I think is totally wrong is for them to get press coverage during the game. When they interviewed the Florida player last night, it made me sick. If they don't want to be there, that is fine. But don't give them a stage during the game. Just my opinion...

Dec 31, 2020, 11:12 AM

I think that it depends to a degree. As long as they make it known when the bowls are announced or that general time frame then I don't see it as being a big deal. If preparations for the game start and they are involved then they should finish what they start.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic