Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Paying college athletes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 867

Paying college athletes

May 24, 2019, 9:11 AM

To add to the discussion on paying athletes - one reason this is hard to do is because the money made from revenue producing sports (Which at most schools is only football, with some making $$ in basketball), is used to pay for all the other sports (namely women's sports - which produce little to no revenue.)

Why should the women athletes get any $$ when they are generating 0 revenue... the argument is for paying the athletes who actually produce revenue for the school.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Paying college athletes

May 24, 2019, 9:59 AM

If kids names or likeness is used for product marketing, promotions or sales for then yes, they should be compensated fairly. I don't agree with paying any college sports kids period though a set "salary". If you pay some then you have to pay ALL which will make college sports even more unfair to those 2nd tier programs, mens and women's sports. The NCAA and colleges would be setting themselves up for countless lawsuits.

Last time I checked, its a privilege to receive a scholarship, free room/board, free tutoring, free benefits such as clothes, shoes, food, snacks and training as a college athlete! Be appreciative for what you have!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

College Athletes, or at least football players, have free

May 24, 2019, 10:12 AM

access to MANY things far above and beyond just a scholarship. Just the amount of free, quality tutoring alone that is available to them gives them a leg up on regular students in whatever program of study they are in. This translates into better grades, which will translate into more job opportunities down the line. (Anyone who tells you grades don't matter hasn't had to compete in the job market, that's for sure.) The PAW Journey teaches life skills, which also is worth a lot monetarily going forward.

There is just no model you can come up with to pay football players that will not run you afoul of Title IX, or not cause lawsuits by athletes in other sports looking for a piece of the pie. It is literally a Pandora's Box, that, once opened, will spell the eventual end of college sports as we know them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 2
| visibility 867
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic