Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Parker Meadows
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Parker Meadows

Jun 7, 2018, 11:51 AM

Is he going to Detroit or still debating on coming to Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Parker Meadows

Jun 7, 2018, 11:53 AM

Monte said this morning that Meadows is going to sign with Detroit. As is our second highest rated recruit, shortstop Charles Mack. He'll also go pro. This is the one thing I hate about college baseball...the recruiting. It's impossible to gauge

Tough to hear but don't blame them

Jun 7, 2018, 11:56 AM

Agree about baseball recruiting. Makes JUCO/Transfers very important

Jun 7, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker Meadows ]

I've been against the MLB drafting high schoolers for awhile because way more high schoolers ruin their life over the small small percentage that actually will make money.

Jun 7, 2018, 12:43 PM

Perhaps you baseballers will know. I've asked in several other threads concerning the recruiting. Coots got 8 draftee's to sign and play college in 2017 and ended up #2 ranking. Florida did almost the exact thing. Now I understand vandy with being private etc as do I understand other colleges go through the exact thing. One thing I would like to ask Monte is how can we make this happen at Clemson - is it something these other schools year end and year out do for recruiting that we're not doing? We'll have a top 10 class or close to it but it seems every year it gets decimated. I too have posted about the baseball draft and share the same opinion... but still looks like we could get some of those draftee's to come. Do other college coaches have a formula that works? TIA

Also, is Monte's end of season on broadcast somewhere? I'm sure it was taped.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 12:56 PM

I'm not sure of a video of the conference, but David Hood posted a thread earlier with quotes from it.

As for the recruiting issues, I'm not exactly sure why Clemson can't get more players to come as opposed to schools like Florida or Vandy, but what I do know is Vandy provides some of their players with full scholarships, while Clemson does not. We also only have 11.7 scholarships to give. I'm not sure if it's endowments or funding or what but Clemson isn't able to do this and pretty much means players have to pay their way through college

Jun 7, 2018, 1:06 PM

It varies from year to year depending on the specific desires and financial needs of the signees. For instance a few years ago we got Chris Okey to come to school (he was rated the #20 player in the HS class). But he had grown up a huge Clemson fan as his mother had been a Clemson cheerleader. Simply stated, he valued the Clemson/college experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker Meadows ]

LOSING 2 GUYS IS NOT DECIMATED. 2 YEARS AGO UNC LOST 3/4 OF THEIR CLASS WHICH WAS VEEEEEEEEEEERY GOOD. IT SET THEM BACK SOME. JUST GOT TO KEEP RECRUITING.

agreed. . .why all caps?

Jun 7, 2018, 1:30 PM

nm

Re: agreed. . .why all caps?

Jun 7, 2018, 2:02 PM

To help UNC people who never had a class read it?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker Meadows ]

You know, not sure why you have a problem with my posts but whatever. I wasn’t specifically talking just this year. Hood article said 3, but 2015 we lost 6 and 2016 we lost 7.

Main point is other teams are getting 5-7 draftees to come to campus and the other question is how can we sign a class of only 11 guys and coots get a class size of 19 etc.

Not here to bash Monte, just a discussion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

DONT KNOW WHY YOU THINK I HAVE A PROBLEM. BETTER GO COUNT AGAIN FROM LAST YEAR. WE BROUGHT IN 12. YOU CAN ONLY HAVE A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF PLAYERS ON YOUR TEAM. THE COOTS, MUCH LIKE FOOTBALL SIGN THEM THEN RUN THEM OFF IF THEY CANT CUT IT. HERE IS THIS YEARS CLASS. ALL THESE WILL BE HERE EXCEPT THE 2 HIGH DRAFT CHOICES. PLUS LOOK FOR US TO BRING IN A COUPLE MORE. PLEASE DONT TRY AND COMPARE THE WAY WE RECRUIT TO ANYTHING THE COOTS DO.

Name
Position
Height
Weight
City
State
School
Charles Mack Photo
Charles Mack
NR Shortstop 5-11 175 Williamsville NY Williamsville East
Jared Kirven Photo
Jared Kirven
NR Catcher 5-10 170 Lexington SC Lexington
Matthew Lumsden Photo
Matthew Lumsden
NR 3rd Base 6-4 190 Simpsonville SC JL Mann
Adam Hackenberg Photo
Adam Hackenberg
NR Catcher 6-1 215 Palmyra VA Fork Union
Parker Meadows Photo
Parker Meadows
NR Outfielder 6-4 195 Grayson GA Grayson
Bryar Hawkins Photo
Bryar Hawkins
NR Shortstop 6-2 180 ####### GA
Jackson Lindley Photo
Jackson Lindley
NR RH Pitcher 6-4 185 Anderson SC T.L. Hanna
Justin Wrobleski Photo
Justin Wrobleski
NR LH Pitcher 6-2 180 Canton GA Sequoyah
Davis Sharpe Photo
Davis Sharpe
NR RH Pitcher 6-4 200 Dacula GA Mill Creek
Keyshawn Askew Photo
Keyshawn Askew
NR LH Pitcher 6-3 175 Powder Springs GA Mceachern
James Parker Photo
James Parker
NR Shortstop 6-2 180 Anderson SC T. L. Hanna
Mac Starbuck Photo
Mac Starbuck
NR Shortstop 5-9 165 Central SC Easley
Chad Fairey Photo
Chad Fairey
NR 2nd Base 6-0 170 Greenwood SC Ninety Six
Chase Roberts Photo
Chase Roberts
NR Outfielder 5-11 195 Elgin SC Lugoff Elgin
Michael Bo Gobin Photo
Michael Bo Gobin
NR Shortstop 5-10 165 Summerville SC Summerville
Ryan Ammons Photo
Ryan Ammons
NR LH Pitcher 6-0 150 Easley SC Wren
Will Bethea Photo
Will Bethea
NR Outfielder 6-0 180 Columbia SC Flora

Read more: https://www.tigernet.com/2018-Clemson-Baseball-commitments#ixzz5HlnYLkT0

Jun 7, 2018, 4:28 PM

I too think that the MLB draft is bad for college baseball the way it is run now. I would get an agreement with the MLB that if we are going to continue to be a major minor league for you, then you will agree not to draft HS athletes until after the 3rd round. This forces college players to go earlier and does not tempt that HS 18 yo kid with huge sums of money.

Jun 7, 2018, 4:42 PM

THAT IS SO WRONG. THERE ARE KIDS THAT WOULD NEVER MAKE IT IN COLLEGE. THERE ARE ALSO KIDS THAT ALSO NEED TO HELP THEIR FAMILY FINANCIALLY AND CANT AFFORD SCHOOL WITH THE MONEY THEY GET IN BASEBALL. WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN IS FOR THE NCAA TO ALLOW MORE THAN 11.1 PIDDLY SCHOLARSHIPS FOR BASEBALL.

Jun 7, 2018, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker Meadows ]

Well, excuse me. Got the numbers from baseball America September 2017. Now it’s a good chance I’m off by a class because I don’t understand what class comes in which year.

As for the coots. It was just a comparison because I could have picked another team. However, they are our instate rivalry and yes, it ticks me off that they are recruiting higher classes in anything that we compete with them in.

Hence, my questions. All I’m trying to do is have a civil debate on whether or not we are progressing in baseball and exactly what is it going to take to become elite like we are in fb and how we used to be under CBW.

Jun 7, 2018, 5:03 PM

LOL SEEMS TO ME YOU ARE THE ONE NOT BEING CIVIL. JUST TRYING TO EXPLAIN THE WAY WE DO THINGS. IF YOU SIGN 19 CHANCES ARE YOUR CLASS WILL BE RANKED HIGHER. CLEMSON TRIES TO BRING IN KIDS THAT CAN CUT IT ON THE FIELD AND ACADEMICALLY. IT AINT REALLY ROCKET SURGERY. MAYBE YOU SHOULD DO A LITTLE MORE RESEARCH BEFORE JUMPING DOWN SOMEONES THROAT.

Jun 7, 2018, 6:33 PM

My apologies if it came across in that way. And I do appreciate the link and the information. I thought I had explained it that I was trying to understand and that I didn’t know. That’s why I was asking questions.

I have been doing research as best I know how. If my questions come across as stupid, well they probably are. I think I prefaced everything from the beginning that I was asking the baseball experts. Again, my apologies. Won’t happen again. Good day.

Jun 7, 2018, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Parker Meadows ]

I remember an article from oh maybe 15 to 18 years ago where Jack Legette commented in the article he would never comment on the players he was recruiting because everytime he did, those players got drafted very highly in the MLB draft. I have no supporting data to back this up as I just remember reading the article. I assume the point he was making was that MLB scouts watch who the major powerhouses in college baseball are recruiting to give them a leg up on draft day.

He has 1.6 million reasons to not come to CU

Jun 7, 2018, 4:45 PM

He gone.

Re: He has 1.6 million reasons to not come to CU

Jun 7, 2018, 5:07 PM

Yea, he's gone. Sometimes it all comes down to luck. A kid that has a down senior season may drop enough to come to college. A kid that tears it up goes higher. Sometimes we start recruiting a kid in the eighth grade and he ends up being one of the highest draftees. You have to set your sights high and hope that you get enough of the real good players to come to school to field a good team.

Jun 7, 2018, 6:27 PM

Thank you. I didn’t understand that.

Jun 7, 2018, 6:51 PM

Kerigantoo, you're one of the better posters and also come across as a gentleman. ( a nice trait)
Carry on as always K2.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic