Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Our women’s softball team is the Tigers.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 3,969

Our women’s softball team is the Tigers.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:29 PM

And our women’s volleyball team is the Tigers.

But our women’s basketball team has always been the Lady Tigers.

Thinking through this logically, Lady Tigers is only used when there is also a men’s sport on campus. Since basketball is a men’s and women’s sport, the women are Lady Tigers. And since volleyball and softball don’t have a men’s team, they are the Tigers (not Lady Tigers).

BUT, our women’s soccer team is the Tigers, despite there being a men’s soccer team.

And now it seems that our women’s basketball team is now just the Tigers, and not the Lady Tigers.

Can someone please explain all of this to me? Does it have something to do with cis gender roles, women’s rights, and not wanting to force toxic masculinity on the women’s teams? I’m guessing that’s why Lady Tigers has fallen out of favor recently and all women’s sports are referred to as Tigers.

I don’t have a problem with it, just wondering because “I has the confuse.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You’re overthinking this . . .

Feb 21, 2021, 9:34 PM

too much pondering . . . Call them all Ladies and be done with it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well done.***

Feb 21, 2021, 9:43 PM

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Dang it skeeta.....doing that to me this early and on a

Feb 22, 2021, 7:06 AM [ in reply to You’re overthinking this . . . ]

Monday morning!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dang it skeeta.....doing that to me this early and on a

Feb 22, 2021, 9:02 AM

Sounds to me like somejuan had a dr... ummm.... errrrr.... oops, wait, scratch that. For a minute there I thought I was in the Lounge....

PS: And speaking for myself, Skeeta has ALWAYS got the green light to keep yours truly Pondering.

GM MyFO!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Dang it skeeta.....doing that to me this early and on a

Feb 22, 2021, 9:22 AM

good morning UB!!!! Hope you all are doing well.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our women’s softball team is the Tigers.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:39 PM

It’s an enigma wrapped in a riddle stuffed into a burrito.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sounds about right.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:44 PM

These are the kinds of things I think about.

Re: Sounds about right.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:48 PM

Good job Tiger women.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a very sexist reply . . . .***

Feb 22, 2021, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Our women’s softball team is the Tigers. ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 22, 2021, 3:19 AM

Just imagine the confused that the Fighting Gamecocks must have...what with them being a Ladies BB school...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 8:07 AM

I think the real confuse for the coots is that their teams name is the Lady #####. Kinda strange.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 9:29 AM

Hearing Lady ##### always make me giggle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 6:50 AM

In a few years, it won’t matter. All 107 sexes will be participating on the same teams.

Feb 22, 2021, 12:15 PM

Science!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WAY too much noodling time on your hands, eh!

Feb 22, 2021, 7:33 AM

:)

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Years ago...

Feb 22, 2021, 8:02 AM

Lander College was known as the Senators (now the Bearcats).

However, the women's teams were called the Lady Reps (Representatives).

No idea why.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Pretty sad that politics has gotten so repulsive

Feb 22, 2021, 8:29 AM

that they had to change their names to avoid offending anyone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

I had a couple of friends who played soccer at Lander...

Feb 22, 2021, 8:36 AM

and I remember them mentioning that back in the mid 80's there was a campaign to change the mascot to the Lions but the proposal was voted down by the student body.

I think the whole Bearcats thing started around 2005. Again...no idea why.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pretty sad that politics has gotten so repulsive

Feb 22, 2021, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Pretty sad that politics has gotten so repulsive ]

You should see what Disney has done to avoid Muppets reruns to be politically correct !!!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Years ago...

Feb 22, 2021, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Years ago... ]

Maybe they should change the women's teams nickname to the VP's.

Well...since the libs don't recognize gender...

Feb 22, 2021, 11:23 AM

Kamala can't claim to be the first female VP.

Feb 22, 2021, 8:38 AM

My first thought is since the two basketball teams share the same court. Maybe that is why they have distinguishing names. Also, there is no men’s volleyball team or men’s softball team. So when discussing the basketball team there needed to be a distinguished name difference to know which team was being referred too

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not the Clemson Tigresses

Feb 22, 2021, 8:52 AM

It just rolls off the tongue

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 22, 2021, 9:10 AM

"are"

How about Tigresses?***

Feb 22, 2021, 12:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I have seen a lot of people push to eliminate “Lady” before a women’s team

Feb 22, 2021, 1:34 PM

Im not sure the exact reason but it’s what I’ve seen

That seems to be the case with our women's basketball team.

Feb 23, 2021, 11:06 AM

I just realized that there is no mention of the Lady Tigers on the Clemson women's basketball website, just Tigers.

It was mainly a controversy at Tennessee

Feb 23, 2021, 11:11 AM

https://thesoutherneronline.com/75244/comment/board-eds/lady-labels-on-sports-teams-are-sexist-must-be-removed/

Says that it indicates male teams are the default and that “lady” makes it seem like a mascot or something not as serious.

Replies: 28
| visibility 3,969
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic