Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson FB recruiting..............
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Clemson FB recruiting..............

Feb 5, 2018, 1:36 PM

under CDS is usually not too suspenseful around signing day with a couple of high profile exceptions - most recently Jackson Carmen and before that CJ Spiller. Normally, we already have our class pretty much set before NSD. Our recruiting strategy is more a long distance race where we work them over a couple of years, establish relationships, etc. and I don't recall us getting on a kid late and being able to close the deal on them very well. Most recent case being RGary, Cade Mays and most likely LOneal and the others that we are chasing late this year.

I think this approach has proved to be very productive under CD. We have potential 1st and 2nd round players coming back for an extra year because they love the school and their team. We have good character kids who graduate and are, for the most part, more mature than other kids their age. I attribute this to CDS and his staff's ability to judge talent and character.

All that being said, it would be nice to add some of these other 5 stars this week but I doubt that we will because that's just not our recruiting strength. As they say in the real estate world, we are a buy and hold vs a flipper and that has got us to 3 straight CFPs!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson FB recruiting..............

Feb 5, 2018, 1:45 PM

The team will still be really good and the class will still be very good but this cycle has a lot of "what could have been" too it.

They put too many eggs in too few baskets throughout the whole recruiting cycle. Also some big misses at db, in what was supposed to be a very deep db class. Kyler McMichael looks like a heck of a player but he's just one guy and there was a need for 3-4 dbs this class. They pocketed the Xavier McKinney scholarship from last cycle for a safety this year and missed big a bunch of times.

I certainly hope we get a surprise from Patrick Surtain and I look foolish, but that seems like a bit of a long shot. Safety recruiting especially always seems like a struggle for no particular good reason.

Feb 5, 2018, 2:08 PM

I agree on us missing on a few guys bc invested in other like zamire white for example but got Dixon so that worked out. I still think we can finish strong at the db spots. I think we land flowers and Goodrich or O'Neal. A lot of ppl I've read seem to forget about Goodrich who is a top 150 overall guy and would be a great addition to this class. So those are 2 good db prospects I still expect us to land. Goodrich or O'Neal would be awesome additions and would prob bet 100 we land one of those 2.

Feb 5, 2018, 2:43 PM

I wasn't forgetting about Goodrich, but I'm not sure that he's a lock necessarily either. I mentioned Surtain specifically because he would be a coup.

RB, OL, and DB recruiting was just frustrating to watch from the outside. It seems like they were slow to expand the board. If Dixon was who they really wanted after White, then good but it was obvious for a while that White wasn't coming and there were some other guys who had interest.

Carmen saved our bacon on OL. Maybe if we didn't get him we'd be in a better position with Gouraige, but if not then the OL class would be just McFadden. The Cade Mays thing kind of messed it up though. I do wish that they'd made a run at Gwyn after it became apparent that Salyer wasn't coming, which was well before signing day.

At DB we just missed out on too many safeties for the opportunity and potential early playing time there is to offer.

Feb 5, 2018, 4:42 PM

Yea I agree 100% what your saying and wasn't pointing you out in particular about forgetting about Goodrich, just stating I've seen a lot of ppl here in Tnet talk about DBs we are going after at this point and 9/10 don't mention Goodrich. Didn't mean for that to be directed at you. I agree and also think sometimes we put too many eggs in one basket like white this year. I know you and I trust Dabo at this point but agree on what you were saying.

Eitienne***

Feb 5, 2018, 1:46 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Eitienne***

Feb 5, 2018, 2:23 PM

Yeah let's not forget pulling in our Cajun firecracker at the last minute. He turned out ok and seems to be a perfect fit. I noticed he is one of our academic stars too.

Feb 5, 2018, 1:56 PM

I agree. We are better at long distance recruiting than late recruiting. I don’t understand why we offer so few early and scramble late for prospects. It better change with a big class next year.

Our recruiting

Feb 5, 2018, 2:04 PM

Maybe Clemson is more honest with recruits and does not play games with them. Maybe the Clemson coaching staff does not promise things that they cannot deliver. Maybe we do not tell every recruit that they are #1 on our board and are a sure starter.

What about the coaches at your school? What do they tell recruits?

Re: Our recruiting

Feb 5, 2018, 3:20 PM

Totally agree

Feb 5, 2018, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson FB recruiting.............. ]

Dabo may know something that all the pundits don’t and this would explain his relaxed attitude on a live feed kiss cam! Think about it, Crystal Balls are turning the wrong direction and he’s just chilling at the super bowl!

Clemson 8snt in the SEC

Feb 5, 2018, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson FB recruiting.............. ]

Dabo doesn't offer 200 kids to get 39 commitments and then kick 10 out the door.

It amazese that there are still people who question Dabo's recruiting ...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

We got in late on Trayvon McMullen too I think after both

Feb 5, 2018, 2:05 PM

Kearse and Green left early along with Alexander.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got in late on Trayvon McMullen too I think after both

Feb 5, 2018, 2:11 PM

I don't think so Mullens was a top 20 overall recruit that we were recruiting for over a year. I just think he held his cards close to his chest and no one really knew who is favorite was but if I'm not mistaken he was one of top guys on our board for a very long time. I could be wrong but I think we recruiting him for awhile. Go tigers!!

Re: We got in late on Trayvon McMullen too I think after both

Feb 5, 2018, 3:58 PM

Clemson offered Mullen ( May 13,2014**) and he was a top priority the whole time* -- ranked as a top 10 cornerback in all services -- GO TIGERS !!!

Feb 5, 2018, 4:45 PM

IF they are the right kind of young men they will be ALLIN!
All the coaches know that and only try to bring in the right kind of young men that will be successful in OUR program.

The Clemson recruiting game is different now vs 6 years ago

Feb 5, 2018, 5:08 PM

Dabo can and will be more selective. Most of the short term recruiting he will do is reactionary to guys leaving early which is extremely unpredictable (Wilkins for example). He keeps certain players in his back pocket by being honest with them saying if you recruit before XXXXXXX you have a spot but if not we will wait and see who leaves. It's a fair system that seems to work pretty well. Not nearly as scummy as MOST coaches out there who just can't be trusted at their word.

I am a little shocked at our roster management at times. I don't know how we can be so thin at DB and still keep missing on some guys that would be starting in 2 seasons or less.

Not too worried about any of it though. The scummy crap other coaches do worries me much more than what Dabo is doing.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic