Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet

Dec 8, 2013, 10:12 AM

GoCLEMSoN...git er done bOYs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

clemson will probably lose money/break even. it's a nice

Dec 8, 2013, 10:15 AM

chunk for the conference though.

great stocking stuffer for recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet

Dec 8, 2013, 10:20 AM

How does the payout exactly work?

Are the team's expenses covered first from the payout or after the conference's member schools get their cut?

thx

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plenty of info out there, he's one write up of the expense

Dec 8, 2013, 10:25 AM

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2011-09-28/bcs-bowl-games-cost-some-schools/50582512/1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

from cu's last trip to the ob...

Dec 8, 2013, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet ]

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20111225/PC20/312259943

Those articles don't tell the whole story

Dec 8, 2013, 10:51 AM

because they leave out the conference revenue shareback at the end of the year. If bowls were losing propositions for schools/conferences they would quit agreeing to the contracts with all the new bowls.

That being said, schools should rebel against the conferences for allowing ticket sales to be part of the schools payout.

no, they were very specific and were meant to be so.

Dec 8, 2013, 10:57 AM

i don't have a problem with that when talking about an isolated event.

you want to drag this out into revenue streams/sharing conference to conference? i don't have the time nor inclination to rehash all of it.

the picture is fairly simple. they are well worth the $ spent if done properly, but make no mistake, they are a 'losing' proposition when line-itemed.

They line item expenses and allocate everything

Dec 8, 2013, 11:06 AM

(like coaches bonus for making bowls) to the game but yet only account for the revenue directly allocated from the conference. They don't tell the whole revenue story, thus bowls are not a "loosing" proposition.

But even if they are, I'm fine with it especially for major bowls. The PR alone is worth a small loss on the finances.

yes, as i said, done correctly, huge ups.

Dec 8, 2013, 11:11 AM

can't buy that kind of exposure when the conference is ponying up a sizable amount to help offset.

there a good reasons to allocate things that way. bonuses are given for the achieve.

The ACC will only get $6 Million for the Orange Bowl***

Dec 8, 2013, 10:31 AM

Re: Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet

Dec 8, 2013, 10:32 AM

I thought they changed the formula to allow the schools to keep a bigger chunk of the bowl payouts as part of the agreement to stick together this past summer. I think these 'losses' were from the old payout formula.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's possible, i couldn't find any info. i know there was

Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM

talk of a split amongst bowl eligible only schools, but i think that was squooshed early.

i think clemson will at best break even just the same. will be a huge expenditure and should be as a selling tool for recruiting.

The losses are PR... they are bogus-

Dec 8, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Orange Bowl...$17 MILLION payout; some into Clemson's wallet ]

the losses noted by schools in the media regarding bowl games do not account for the bowl revenue share 1/12(maybe 1/14 if the newbies get a full share) of the overall pot the conference divides ups-- it's only the expense allowance vs cost of bowl trip included in the "loss calculation"-- it's usually nominal but the conference I believe is upping the allowance this year as unsold ticket allotments eat into this too much these days. That's why CU wants everyone to buy through the ticket office-- that's extra $ in CU's pocket as it reduces the hit against the allowance

Ironic that the teams playing the bowls

Dec 8, 2013, 10:34 AM

Usually break even at best. And the ones that don't do crap get a payday...... We need to fix that

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Ironic that the teams playing the bowls

Dec 8, 2013, 12:11 PM

Correct!

We need to just increase our expenses and share less with the conference.

Lobster and steak for every meal!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Orange Bowl Payout

Dec 8, 2013, 10:41 AM

Carolina1892 is correct. Conferences receive only $6 million for the second BCS game. The ACC will get $17 -20 million for FSUs trip to Pasedena.

I think its about 23 and 7

Dec 8, 2013, 10:53 AM

so a conference that gets 2 at large bids will clear around 30 million minus expenses and direct payment to the teams playing. They usually allocate more to the BCS teams since those bowls require teams to be there longer.

Re: Orange Bowl Payout

Dec 8, 2013, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Orange Bowl Payout ]

I don't think the Championship game is considered as a second game for a conference, meaning the Orange will stand on its own. Wouldn't bet the ranch since some deals have changed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100% Irratation payout to the Gamecocks...

Dec 8, 2013, 12:29 PM

:)

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic