Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson Theory
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Hunter Johnson Theory

Oct 14, 2017, 8:18 AM

Here is my take on this situation. I have no source or inside track, this is just a gut feeling. Johnson has been limited in playing time for reasons not easily seen. I believe the staff dos not want Johnson to establish any kind of grip on the starting job. If he turned out to be as successful as quite a few think he could be, then he would have a firm grip on the starting job next year. Now put this in perspective if that had happened could that affect the commitment of Trevor Lawrence. Therefore we see Cooper next man up the rest of the year and the real possibility of Johnson transferring after this season is over.

I want to repeat again, that this is just pure speculation. Any thoughts from the rest of you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hunter Johnson Theory

Oct 14, 2017, 8:21 AM

No I don't think so. The coaches just have a hard time benching some players. Their loyalty sometimes gets in the way of better judgement.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 8:21 AM

I can't disagree with this ... actually thought the same thing.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:22 AM

Loyalty, maybe.

Intentionally not playing best players in order to get a guy in next year, no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have wondered about that myself.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:25 AM

They know TL is our future.

Re: I have wondered about that myself.

Oct 14, 2017, 9:31 AM

> They know TL is our future.

I hope so, Helen Keller can see that.

Or HJ is not earning it in practice?

Oct 14, 2017, 8:26 AM

You aren't "given" opportunities to run the 1's, you earn them. One 32 yard TD drive in garbage time does not do it. He has to be consistent in practice, beat Zerrick in drills and scrimmages, and earn the coaches' trust.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of you really expose yourselves with your thoughts.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:37 AM

You need to put the crack pipes down. This staff has been incredibly successful. The last 7 years have simply been amazing. Yet, somehow our coaches don't play the best players and have strange agenda's?

Re: Some of you really expose yourselves with your thoughts.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:43 AM

First, I am not a crack head. As you remember my post is pure speculation, designed to create different points of view. Thank you for your input.

So in other words, Dabo is going to accept the commitment

Oct 14, 2017, 8:59 AM

of Hunter Johnson, then intentionally not play him so he ensures we get TL? He is going to put getting TL over the hard work of everyone on the team this year including coaches? He is going to risk losing this year when we are 6-0 and #2 in the country, to get TL? TL is definitely a great player and looks to be a difference maker. He isn't going to back down from competition.

I dunno man, I think my theory that you hit the crack pipe a little too much is at least as solid as your theory about Hunter Johnson.

Re: So in other words, Dabo is going to accept the commitment

Oct 14, 2017, 9:24 AM

We need to establish the proper time lines for your theory to hold credence. Hunter Johnson committed to Clemson on 12/14/15 and enrolled early. He participated in spring practice this year and the spring game. Trevor Price committed to Clemson on 12/16/15 and did not enroll until this past fall. Trevor Lawrence committed to Clemson on 12/16/16. Hunter Johnson was signed sealed and delivered a full year before before Lawrence committed.

So Lawrence commits now what do we do with Johnson? I still think my theory is just as plausible as yours.

"my post is pure speculation"

Oct 14, 2017, 10:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Some of you really expose yourselves with your thoughts. ]

translation: I'm spewing BS

Re: "my post is pure speculation"

Oct 14, 2017, 10:20 AM

It might be BS but, quite a few in the thread have similar thoughts along this line. I guess that makes us all BS'ers.

It's good you realize you have a problem

Oct 14, 2017, 10:28 AM

that's the first step to recovery

Re: Or HJ is not earning it in practice?

Oct 14, 2017, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Or HJ is not earning it in practice? ]

So Cole should have started over Watson? For some reason this staff treats the QB position different than the others. Loyal to a fault. At any other position you can come in and start if you are the best but not the most important position. As for the comment about the 32 yard TD drive, what did Coop do in the same game same situation? Also i believe Johnson out played Coop in the spring game so I'm really not understanding your point.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:15 AM

Well, I think you can apply the same blind logic to the RB situation. Feaster and ETN are the best and should have been 1 and 2.

Dabo seems to go out his way NOT to compliment Hunter after impressive flawless appearance last week.

If I am Hunter, I'm outta here. Can you blame him?

Except they don’t pass protect well

Oct 14, 2017, 10:31 AM

Missing the blitzes getting QB killed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2017, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Or HJ is not earning it in practice? ]

After what I saw in the blocking dept from ETN last night, I get why he is not getting more snaps. If he is in have him run it or throw it to him. Or quick pass.

That being said this seems to be a run oriented team. Thus, I think we should be running 60% of the time. Play to this strength and put your better blocking TE in.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SG stats tell a different story.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: Or HJ is not earning it in practice? ]

Zerrick Cooper 11-18 for 81 yds 0 TD 1 INT
- Led one drive for TD

Hunter Johnson 5-13 for 48 yds 1 TD 1 INT
- Led one drive for TD

Re: The SG stats tell a different story.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:53 AM

Johnson averaged a little over 9 yards a completion Cooper a little over 7. Johnson had only been on campus a few months cooper a year. Fast forward to last week and look at those stats. All I'm saying is with what we have seen Johnson should have gotten a chance. If Cooper had come in and killed I could understand. Now I've told you why I think Johnson gives us a better chance to win. Why do you think Cooper does?

Because the coaches told me he’s more consistent.

Oct 14, 2017, 11:03 AM

Do I really need any other reason?

Sounds plausible but I doubt it...

Oct 14, 2017, 8:27 AM

First of all I certainly hope this staff isn’t determining this programs season based on a Freshman QB and a Sr HS Qb.

I truly believe that if coaches thought HJ could play and was ready he would have gone in. Secondly, who says TL is the next coming of Christ? Yeah he is rated really high right now but it’s completely different at the D1 level. We hit a HR with DW4. He lived up to the hype.

I am hoping TL does the same but I would lose so much respect for this coaching staff if they were intentionally not playing a QB because they were worried about losing a commitment from a kid who hasn’t taken a snap at D1 level.

Oct 14, 2017, 8:28 AM

I just thought they didnt think he was ready or it would under cut Coopers confidence. I thought he should have gotten a shotU

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My theory

Oct 14, 2017, 8:58 AM

Similar to yours, but I figured the staff would hope that KB would have a good enough year that he would opt for the draft after this season. Next season HI and TL could fight it out, and one would be backup or transfer... Who knows, but that game sucked. GO Tigers beat "Bye" next week!

Oct 14, 2017, 9:30 AM

If the coaches knew Lawrence was coming they wouldn't have recruited or taken Johnsons commitment. If Johnson knew Lawrence was coming he wouldn't have commuted to Clemson

Oct 14, 2017, 10:15 AM

I am surprised Cooper went in before Hunter. Hunter has looked good when he did play

Oct 14, 2017, 10:25 AM

Bottom line is Cooper sucks and yall can argue about the rest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard no. Coaches want to win. Coaches want competition in practice.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:28 AM

Coaches want depth. TL still could decommit at this point, coaches know that. TL has never played a collegiate ballgame.

So many reasons this makes no sense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

We don’t know how well Johnson is (or isn’t) handling the adversity of not being a starter either. If you watch earlier games this year, when the offense is off the field and the QBs are together it’s usually KB with Zerrick and Tucker. Even Chase Brice is in the mix, and Hunter is off to the side. I have a bit of a hunch that Hunter might not be handing it too well which you know goes a long way with Dabo.

And although Trevor Lawrence may be the future a healthy KB starts over him next year.

Message was edited by: OrangeCoast®

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don’t know how well Johnson is (or isn’t) handling the adversity of not being a starter either. If you watch earlier games this year, when the offense is off the field and the QBs are together it’s usually KB with Zerrick and Tucker. Even Chase Brice is in the mix, and Hunter is off to the side. I have a bit of a hunch that Hunter might not be handing it too well which you know goes a long way with Dabo.

And although Trevor Lawrence may be the future a healthy KB starts over him next year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope, definitely not.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:38 AM

You don't take an L in a championship run to secure a recruit. Maybe he is stubborn, maybe he is loyal, but this is not some conspiracy

Re: Nope, definitely not.

Oct 14, 2017, 1:50 PM

Never said it was a conspiracy, just a theory.

Sorry for the triple post. On a

Oct 14, 2017, 10:38 AM

Plane returning from the game and a bit foggy headed this morning.

Oct 14, 2017, 10:51 AM

So your gut feeling says that Clemson’s football staff is burying the career of a talented young man who committed his college career and showed up early to campus for a kid who hasn’t signed yet?

Oct 14, 2017, 10:56 AM

If Hunter were better, he’d be playing. Dabo is worrying about winning today. Next year and beyond will take care of themselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i very seriously doubt that...

Oct 14, 2017, 11:00 AM

The MO of dabo is to play the best performer in practice and give priority to the older guy....he has to lose that job before it's given to another. How many games did we have to suffer and lose (2) with stoudt getting majority of snaps before they finally realized Watson was the guy. First two passes of his college career were obvious.

If Johnson was really that much better he'd play.

Re: i very seriously doubt that...

Oct 14, 2017, 11:10 AM

From the limited snaps I’ve seen, Johnson looks better but it’s very possible that we just don’t have much of a solution at QB right now if Kelly isn’t mobile.

Oct 14, 2017, 11:12 AM

This is not the case. If HJ was showing it in practice, he would be starting. What is the difference with having 3 great years with HJ vs 3 great years with TL. There is not. This team is set up to win it this year again. Also, TL has said and I quote, "if I was scared of competition I would not be going to Clemson.

Next year is very concerning to me with the attrition that we will have leaving to the NFL. The offense will need to be the strength next year. I really hope we hit on Xavier.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic