Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen

Feb 20, 2021, 9:45 PM

on a story, from USA Today on the net right now:

"Texas winter storm could make life worse for Black and Latino families hit hard by power outages."

Really, you think this could happen? Just think, somebody actually got paid to come up with that headline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen

Feb 20, 2021, 9:54 PM

Miraculously, white families without power are unaffected.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 20, 2021, 10:07 PM

Seriously? This is the best use of your time? Great job picking out a random press headline and giving fodder to those that paint our fan base in a certain light.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is pointing out a stupid headline giving fodder to anything?

Feb 20, 2021, 11:05 PM

It is totally stupid for two reasons...

Of course, life is made harder with conditions like that! Duh!!

And yes...the headline does make it seem like only black & latino families are affected!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s ok. You see the same type of stuff on SEC teams forums

Feb 21, 2021, 4:14 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

This wouldn’t be a reason someone chooses one of them over Clemson

Feb 21, 2021, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

Just pointing out how ridiculous "journalists" have become.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:02 AM

Do Journalists exist anymore?

Unfortunately our media is more devisive than our politicians. A really bad recipe for these country moving forward.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, over on Fox the Texas governor was blaming it on

Feb 21, 2021, 9:37 AM

renewables just lying through his teeth feeding red meat to the base.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would hope people see us as those who use common sense.***

Feb 21, 2021, 8:12 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

Nm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Feb 21, 2021, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

Tigers2388 said:

Seriously? This is the best use of your time? Great job picking out a random press headline and giving fodder to those that paint our fan base in a certain light.

Maybe you're the type of fan that embassesses the fan base. He made a factual comment on a slanted headline.

that's called privilege***

Feb 21, 2021, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 21, 2021, 7:06 AM

I suppose the weather is colder in blacks and Latinos homes than in whites homes. That’s about how stupid some folks are

Re:suppose the weather is colder in blacks and Latinos homes

Feb 21, 2021, 8:54 AM

Before we run too far with this, some of these families may have homes that are not as well insulated as others.

Re:suppose the weather is colder in blacks and Latinos homes

Feb 21, 2021, 2:30 PM

Can you pleeze quit with the passive aggressive chit Peggy Anne

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

White people are fine though.***

Feb 21, 2021, 8:11 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Feb 21, 2021, 8:28 AM

You have to understand, now that they can’t report on a President, news headlines are getting tougher to come by.

“President Biden surpasses racist George Washington as most honest President ” can only be used so many times

My local news did a truth analysis of Biden's

Feb 21, 2021, 11:14 AM

latest speech on his road trip and said his 3 main reports were untrue. Guess "fake news" isn't a thing of the past and isn't just a product of the media.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is my main problem with "media heads" these days. They

Feb 21, 2021, 11:20 AM

feel compelled to not just report the news, but to put their "spin" on everything. I think this is one reason politicians nowadays don't mind telling lies even more so than historically. They have no fear that the media will be believed more than them, because no one trusts the media not to be biased and "spinning their own truth" these days.

Feb 21, 2021, 9:32 AM

While I agree its laughable that someone would post such a ludicrous headline, it certainly isn't a ‘captain obvious’ moment. If anything, its another example of media trying to divide the public down racial lines. The accurate headline would read “... winter storm could make life worse for lower income families hit hard by power outages”. The cold doesn’t care what color your skin is, and I haven’t seen any evidence of relief help being distributed according to racial affiliation. The substitution of race for socioeconomic delineations is the true misnomer and what makes this headline disgusting.

Are Latinos and Blacks in a lower socioeconomic group tho?

Feb 21, 2021, 9:47 AM

In general? If so, then how is the headline a misnomer? Not even getting political here, just seems to me like it isn't.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are Latinos and Blacks in a lower socioeconomic group tho?

Feb 21, 2021, 11:55 AM

I suppose you could interpret the headline a number of ways. The storm is racist and hurting certain races more than others, those in charge of distributing relief are racist and helping victims of certain races differently, or lastly black and hispanic families are poor and therefore hurt disproportionately (which I take is your contention). While there may be some element of truth in the last interpretation, its far from the most accurate assessment of the situation, and in my eyes, is an insulting insinuation to black and hispanic families (there are plently of black and hispanic families who do quite well). Further, it discounts the suffering of those families who aren’t black or hispanic that are cited in the headline. If you wanted to more accurately encompass those impacted worse by this or any other natural disaster, you would reference those below poverty line, not just those races that you infer are more likely to be below poverty line. To me its just another example of the media’s obsession with trying to link race to every issue, when in reality race has little to little to nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you.

Feb 21, 2021, 1:29 PM

You have a fair point about the headline, not everything should be about race. I get it. My point is that isn't really a misnomer though.

Re: Not necessarily disagreeing with you.

Feb 21, 2021, 3:00 PM

Your point is taken, it just seems like an irrelevant and purposefully distorted and myopic takeaway from the situation by the author/editor. One that given the news cycle of the last year is more likely an attempt to fit a catastrophe into an unrelated media narrative than an honest attempt to conduct actual journalism and draw a relevant newsworthy conclusion from an major event.

Thank You

Feb 21, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

For your excellent summary. Poor people, whether black, brown, or white, are always affected disproportionally to wealthier people in every disaster, either manmade or natural. Identity politics on both ends of the political spectrum, whether espoused by politicians or the news media, has divided the country, caused irreparable harm, and will destroy us as a people and as a country. May God have mercy on our children and grandchildren.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thank You

Feb 21, 2021, 2:46 PM

Not just weather and natural disasters, but poorer people have it worse than rich people in just about everything. Health care, food, housing, transportation - f’n rich people have it better, even though they are no better than anyone else.

That’s why the wealth of those that have more than they need needs to be taken from them and given to those who don’t have enough. Plain and simple. Rich people will still have enough for everything they need. No argument allowed. Then we will finally have the Utopia we deserve.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Thank You

Feb 21, 2021, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: One of the most "Captain Obvious" Headlines I have ever seen ]

For your excellent summary. Poor people, whether black, brown, or white, are always affected disproportionally to wealthier people in every disaster, either manmade or natural. Identity politics on both ends of the political spectrum, whether espoused by politicians or the news media, has divided the country, caused irreparable harm, and will destroy us as a people and as a country. May God have mercy on our children and grandchildren.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read the article?

Feb 21, 2021, 9:42 AM

they are making the point that many of those families do not have options that those with more means do (traveling out of Texas, etc). Poor White people are in the same boat, to your point.

However, I think statistically Blacks and Latinos are in a lower income group overall. Does it mean no Whites are suffering, of course not. But if you do the math, the headline isn't misleading.

wow!! How much $$$ are you sending them?

Feb 21, 2021, 9:58 AM

White guilt!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nah, man. No White guilt here.

Feb 21, 2021, 10:01 AM

Just making a point. I am ok if you don't agree with me. All good!

My original point was that EVERYONE'S life will be made

Feb 21, 2021, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Did you read the article? ]

worse by the winter storm. Poor people (of ALL ethnicites) might be affected for a longer time, but it won't be a picnic for ANYONE. A similar headline would be:

"The people that jumped off the steep cliff are expected to land farther below." It's bad righting.

100% agree with you.

Feb 21, 2021, 11:34 AM

Disproportionately lower-income people will suffer more could be a better headline. Does that work?

By the way, a CFO of one of the energy companies in Texas said that they "hit the jackpot" since there are able to jack-up the prices on those poor ba$####$ down in Texas. Talk about insult to injury.

Eh, the bigger story was how power deregulation failed in...

Feb 21, 2021, 9:55 AM

Texas. This would be a very interesting topic to debate here given, and I am assuming, a lot of people on TNet are against most regulations in general.

I was in California when they deregulated the power grid there. Didn't take long for companies to start stealing money and having rolling black-outs, and this is in a lib state too.

Feb 21, 2021, 2:23 PM

Forgive me , I’m failing to see the connection between this and Clemson sports, please enlighten me.

Feb 21, 2021, 6:07 PM

Amphitheater

Must have been the same mental giants who

Feb 22, 2021, 1:00 PM

said that Notre Dame didn't play well against Clemson in 2015 because of the rain.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I guess the other race is not going to suffer at all.

Feb 27, 2021, 10:51 AM

Are they immune to the cold weather? I don't think so, I get pretty cold sometimes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I guess the other race is not going to suffer at all.

Feb 27, 2021, 2:02 PM

But, per the headline, your life won't be made worse. That is reserved for the Black and Latino families. Welcome to Creepy Uncle Joe's Media World! :)

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic