Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On This Date 1989: (10)Clemson- 34 (16)Florida State- 23
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

On This Date 1989: (10)Clemson- 34 (16)Florida State- 23

Sep 9, 2019, 8:54 AM

"Intercepted! Up the near Sideline is Simmons, and He. Will. Score!"

Clemson Punishes Florida State in Tallahassee, 34-23
September 10, 1989|Associated Press

“This was just a good whippin’,” I believe they’re better than last year. They looked like they came out with a year of frustration behind them. I think they’d heard enough about the “puntrooski”.
- Florida State Coach Bobby Bowden

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Clemson Coach Danny Ford didn't like his chances coming into Saturday night's game at Florida State. But his team surprised him.

"We ha to have some people play better than they're able and to have some others whip some people, and we did a pretty good job of accomplishing that," Ford said after the 10th-ranked Tigers defeated Florida State, 34-23.

Terry Allen scored three touchdowns in the first half, including a 73-yard scoring run, that sparked the Tigers to a 28-10 halftime lead.

"Clemson's better than I thought they were," Florida State Coach Bobby Bowden said. "That was just a good whipping."

Freshman linebacker Wayne Simmons also scored on a 73-yard run after intercepting a Peter Tom Willis pass that helped Clemson take a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter.

Allen, who sat out Clemson's opener for disciplinary reasons, scored Clemson's first two touchdowns on one-yard runs. He finished with 130 yards in 20 carries.

Although the Tigers (2-0) led only 7-0 after one quarter, they dominated Florida State through the early going, racking up 148 yards offense before the Seminoles got their initial first down.

Florida State (0-2) closed within 21-7 when Dexter Carter scored on a two-yard run with 1:34 left in the first half, but Allen answered with his 73-yard run to give the Tigers a 28-7 lead.

Bill Mason kicked a 28-yard field goal on the final play of the half to pull Florida State within 28-10.

The Seminoles drove 77 yards on the opening kickoff of the second half to cut their deficit to 28-16 on Paul Moore's one-yard run. Willis, who passed for 242 yards, was sacked looking for a receiver on the two-point conversion attempt.

Florida State threatened again on its next offensive series, but Moore fumbled at the Clemson 17 after a 20-yard run.

"Getting the fumble sure helped out," Ford said. "They are a tremendous offensive football team, and they kept me scared to death the entire game."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: On This Date 1989: (10)Clemson- 34 (16)Florida State- 23

Sep 9, 2019, 8:56 AM

That was a fun night in Tallahassee.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That article alone shows you just how much reporting has

Sep 9, 2019, 9:04 AM

changed since then. There would be no doubt that the modern version would be:

On the one year anniversary meeting of the famous "Puntrusky" game, Clemson found a way to finally beat the Florida State Seminoles.

Or something to that effect. You can bet the farm it would have been mentioned somewhere in the article.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 9:09 AM

Great game - I was there. Sat in the endzone on some old wooden bleachers. People behind us were jumping up and down so much after one of our big plays that the wooden bench broke and a girl almost fell through! Fine facilities they had back then!

I remember watching the game back once I got back to campus and there was a great shot of Danny smirking and shaking his head when FSU's horse came out and did his flaming spear thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 9:23 AM

We were so hoarse the morning after that game that nobody could order breakfast at the drive thru.
I mainly remember the chants of "High School Stadium" and "FSUuuuu, Oooh and Twoooo" to their Tomahawk Chop.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 10:52 AM

Another cheer was "FS Who"

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

That was my Jr year at Clemson and I remember an article

Sep 9, 2019, 9:12 AM

that had FSU as OH-2. They were shocked to start the season with 2 losses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was at that game....GOOD TIMES!!! ***

Sep 9, 2019, 9:26 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was in Doak for that game (CU senior year)

Sep 9, 2019, 9:43 AM

What a great day that was!

We moved your wedding back a week for that game.

Sep 9, 2019, 10:12 AM

30 years ago. ;)

our...***

Sep 9, 2019, 10:12 AM

Still boggles my mind that Charlie Ward was the punter

Sep 9, 2019, 10:59 AM

I guess Ol’ Peter Tom was better that year but still...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Airplane Wayne. That was a great day.***

Sep 9, 2019, 11:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2019, 11:14 AM

What a great day that was.....

My Dad, my uncle, my cousin, his Clemson room mate and myself just up and went that Sat morning.

No tickets - no hotel just cash and gas in a van man.

Went straight to the stadium when we arrived and found some tickets just to get us in the gate. Then went to find a hotel and scored a couple of rooms.

Went back to the stadium and just hung out and bought and sold tickets and each time moved to better seats. My dad and I ended up in the high end alumni section on the 50 yard line. Two guys in Orange in the middle of a sea of old school FSU fans.

One old lady behind us tried to get us thrown out. The Nole fan that sold us the tickets told the usher / police that she was a lying old hag. I was so glad he stood up for us. Dad and I cheered and yelled Go Tigers when something good happened for us, but we were not obnoxious nor did we curse. Just normal cheering. He had told us when he sold the tickets that he did not care who we pulled for he just did not want drunks sitting next to him. One time I was glad I did not have a normal tailgate ;)

After the game we went out on the town to enjoy some adult beverages and the after glow of a great win.

Some FSU coeds took a liking to my Dad and Uncle - that was interesting....Had a "cougar" NoleLady share some drinks with me.

Just a fun day all the way around.

Thanks for posting that memory jolt!!!

Sep 9, 2019, 11:29 AM

Was there, a blurry haze of a weekend.

Sep 9, 2019, 11:47 AM

Was camping at Sadler’s Creek State Park with my Boy Scout troop that weekend listening to the game on the radio and hanging on every word said by the late, great Jim Phillips.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic