Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
On Brent Venables...........
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

On Brent Venables...........

Nov 4, 2019, 8:56 AM

There's always a lot of speculation about BV accepting head coaching positions; however, most TNetters are quick to point out that the prospects of him leaving anytime soon are slim next to none.

There are folks among us who are wise recognizing their own talents. The wiser then learn to develop and utilize those talents fully. But the wisest lay aside unbridled, rampant ambition, realizing their limitations and finding happiness and contentment in the best jobs possible for their talents.

I've known a lot of men like Brent Venables in my long life, and those who were the wisest found peace and happiness by checking blind ambitions. I believe BV is one of those who have created and nutured his niche in our society. Hence, why I believe his legacy will be that of one of the greatest Defensive Coordinators in collegiate football history.

And, my good Friends, as we all will admit: we are extremely lucky to have him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: On Brent Venables...........

Nov 4, 2019, 9:15 AM

Well put, and I hope you are correct.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 9:35 AM

Very well said. There was a point in my life where I wanted to own my own construction firm and there was a time where I was very close to pulling the trigger, and I did tip-toe into it sort of - before immediately growing frustrated with clients, chasing getting paid and the stuff that comes along with it. Now, I'm a PM for a large firm and am probably the happiest I've been in my life, professionally anyway. I'm content and will likely stay here forever - the pay is good, I work 40 hour weeks and I don't deal with the bs parts of owning a company in the field I work. Sure, I could probably make more money - but I could also crash and burn, lose everything or die from the stress that comes with my line of work. Some may say you need to take risks, but I've taken enough risks in other facets of my life and truly consider myself happy in my career.

You have to wonder, if Chad Morris could go back, do you think he'd do things the exact same way? Maybe he'd have left Clemson for SMU, but do you think he'd have left SMU for Arkansas? And I'm sure Dabo and BV are paying close attention to how all that plays out - they're watching firsthand and right now, it sure looks like BV has made smarter career decisions than Chad has, at least right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who better to comment on a post about wisdom than

Nov 4, 2019, 10:10 AM

a tnetter named ‘Wiser’ (unless you just misspelled the abbreviated name of your favorite adult beverage)?

Two very good points and posts.

However, in my many years, there is one thing I’ve learned that I will always abide by:

“Never bet on anything that can talk”.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Who better to comment on a post about wisdom than

Nov 4, 2019, 11:24 AM

My s/n is actually taken from a Black Crowes song that was a favorite of mine growing up. I adopted it years ago as an online name and use it in most forums. It is not to be construed as a measure of intelligence, or lack thereof! lol..

Nov 4, 2019, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: On Brent Venables........... ]

I think Chad is finding out the same truth that Tommy West admitted after the fact, which was that the Head Coach job at the time was just too big for him. Chad could have used several years more seasoning as an assistant before he took the plunge. Even so, I continue to be baffled by his lack of at least offensive success at Arkansas. They are in the SEC, after all, which should be a ticket for good recruiting, unless you are named Vanderbilt or South Carolina. Even South Carolina is "SEC Lite" in recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 9:38 AM

I think if BV wanted a head coach job, he would have gone after the K State job.

Brent Venables is a very smart man. I do not personally

Nov 4, 2019, 10:24 AM

know him, but just from all interviews I have seen, and stories I have read, he is not driven by the almighty dollar. He knows how unkind the industry of college coaching is to Head Coaches. (He need look no further than the Taggart situation to see how quickly you can be out of a job if positive results do not immediately happen.) He also knows he has the best situation in the country here at Clemson as a Defensive Coordinator. If he were ever to leave here, it would be because he just has to answer for himself the "What if" question about being a Head Coach. But, I do not see him wanting to inject himself into the toxic situation at FSU, of all places. It just doesn't fit. Just MHO.

Nov 4, 2019, 10:32 AM

Crossing my fingers he will stay.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 4, 2019, 10:34 AM

All excellent points! I don't see him leaving anytime soon. If he wants to get the big payday of being a HC, and the golden parachute buyout, he has plenty of time still for that. I think he knows it doesn't get any better than this!

BV would be a heck of a good HC. But, he seems to be super

Nov 4, 2019, 11:45 AM

happy where he is - doing what he's doing - without the headaches of being the face of a program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic