Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old asked question, but were you a RAT at Clemson College?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Old asked question, but were you a RAT at Clemson College?

Apr 20, 2020, 2:13 PM

Still have my little faded Orange beanie cap with a teeny bill..

and under that bill visor & written in now faded & water-stained ink is:

BECKY (for my future & only wife).

What memories that prized little treasure brings even after 61 years!

Go TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeppers, freshman year 1965.***

Apr 20, 2020, 2:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeppers, freshman year 1965.***

Apr 20, 2020, 2:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^ Ha Hartins..you distinguished Sir are a youngster! ??

Apr 20, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Yeppers, freshman year 1965.*** ]

Glad to see you’re up & sharing. LoL

Stay safe “our” friend at Lake Murray!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^ Ha Hartins..you distinguished Sir are a youngster! ??

Apr 20, 2020, 3:02 PM

Bill. Did Hartins make a mistake? A rat in 1965? He's just a kid claiming to be a senior citizen.

Yesterday was my youngest daughter's birthday. She's only 67. All of the family (3 mos. to 98+) were on ZOOM last night to wish her a "Happy Birthday".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mr Hartins: You may have been a "University " Rat?

Apr 20, 2020, 2:58 PM [ in reply to Yeppers, freshman year 1965.*** ]

Yep! Nit Pickin! I think we became a University in '64?
If NOT someone on here will "Lambaste" me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too - class of ‘69 is different- didn’t

Apr 20, 2020, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Yeppers, freshman year 1965.*** ]

know you were a PR- you remember B.Dulin? From my hometown & same class & a PR

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Old asked question, but were you a RAT at Clemson College?

Apr 20, 2020, 2:24 PM

freshman 1964. Shaved head, rat hat, down to Dan's for the hall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2020, 2:31 PM

Was a "rat" during fall of 1962. Am from Greenville, but came down from Newburgh, New York, where my father (USAF) was stationed 1960-62. Had a very full head of NY-style hair at the time, so getting the mandatory buzz-cut was a pretty traumatic event for me. Still have a photo taken that day, and my rat is stored in a locker here at the house.

2024 white level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2020, 2:41 PM

I was in RAT class of 1968 and I do believe that my class was the last to endure the head shaving requirement and a number of other RAT traditions. That class also had a good number of females in it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The 1969/70 was the last

Apr 20, 2020, 4:08 PM

year for the Rat program which was my freshman year.

Apr 20, 2020, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Old asked question, but were you a RAT at Clemson College? ]

Rat and Head shave was not manditory in fall '69 but 1 year ROTC was. I participated as a Rat! The next year all were voluntary.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2020, 3:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Old asked question, but were you a RAT at Clemson College? ]

Also rat in fall ‘62 .... Not many rat years after that. Think it became voluntary - which effectively killed it. Like - who would actually volunteer to put up with that kind of harassment ?? Lol ... ??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Apr 20, 2020, 2:41 PM

Yep ..... freshman '64 ..... seems like my "rat" haircut was $.50

Apr 20, 2020, 2:52 PM

I still have my "Rat Cap" from the Univ. of Florida. This coming Sept. it will be 80 years old. h+Heck, that cap is almost as old as I am.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2020, 10:14 PM

You're still the best "Rat" ever!

Yep, freshman year 1968 *

Apr 20, 2020, 3:03 PM

Nm

Apr 20, 2020, 3:12 PM

LBB-
In 1956, there was an assembly line for incoming "Rats" in The Tiger offices or Taps--both of which were above the Loggia and near Dean W. Cox' office. By today's standards, Clemson was a rather remote place where odd things happened as compared to Anderson/Charleston and other civilized places. My memory tells me that the Rat Corps gave Clemson students a sense of bonding to the school and the fellow students that does not exist now. Go TIGERS!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was generally called much worse

Apr 20, 2020, 3:19 PM

;)

But no. I stated in the fall of '78. I know they had ROTC, but don't remember other military...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: I was generally called much worse

Apr 20, 2020, 3:26 PM

It was Clemson University by then, but I was a member of the last official
rat class that started in 1969. I polished shoes with my bare hands. Compared to farm work this was easy. Beats digging ditches through swamps with shovels.

Apr 20, 2020, 3:30 PM

No

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Always wondered if BECKY was cheating on me:>)

Apr 20, 2020, 3:34 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Always wondered if BECKY was cheating on me:>)

Apr 20, 2020, 3:42 PM

I was a rat in 1954, the last year of the military. Mine was the class that really got cheated.

Apr 20, 2020, 3:58 PM

Rat year was 1962. I remember dreading having my head shaved, so before I left home I had my local barber give me a buzz cut - not quite shaved, but short enough to pass for having been recently shaved.... and I got away with it.

Let me clarify:

Apr 20, 2020, 4:01 PM

In 1962, I was actually a rat at Clemson A&M. IIRC, Clemson College didn't exist until 1963, then Clemson University in 1964.

Re: Let me clarify:

Apr 20, 2020, 6:13 PM

You are correct sir. A fellow could only have been a rat at Clemson College in 1963.

I was a rat at Clemson University in 1968. I think my class might have been the last where the overwhelming majority of male freshman got their heads shaved. Seems like 69 was the last year of Rat Season but I think it was voluntary that year.

I'm proud of having been a rat but the idea of Rat Season fit an all male military college much better than it fit a University. My class of 2000 or so freshman included 400 women and that doubled the number of women on campus. The end of Rat Season and the introduction of women to the campus was a GREAT move.

How many people on Tigernet ever stood in the little shelters in front of Sikes waiting for a carload headed to Winthrop for the evening that was looking for one more rider to split the cost of gas on the ride to and from Rock Hill?

Or rode the train to Greenville to visit the ladies at Furman? Or hitchhiked to Atlanta and back to see your girl?

Apr 20, 2020, 4:06 PM

Yep. Class of 71. Head buzzed et al. See my previous post of memories from rat season.

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Apr 20, 2020, 4:14 PM

1957-1958 Only year regrettably at Clemson. Joined the Air Force in September 1958. Clemson is still THE ONLY SCHOOL for me. And we were not a University back then.

Apr 20, 2020, 7:26 PM

Bill, I was a rat in 1949. It was then Clemson A&M College.We not only got our head shaved but we had to keep our assigned upperclassman's room spotless along with our own. Also whenever an upperclassman desired they all lined up on each side of the hallway and all rats had to through for a paddling. Also each rat had to furnish his own paddle.Some upperclassmen preferred a coat hanger or toothbrush. Those hurt worse than any paddle. Aw the good ole days. GU TIGERS.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope! I don't know when it was done away with, but I know

Apr 20, 2020, 7:47 PM

it was prior to 1972! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 20, 2020, 8:18 PM

Rat class of 68 here and I can tell you for sure that ours was the last one that was mandatory. The following year I was so looking forward to having freshmen polish my brass, shine my shoes, conduct cheers during meals, run wind sprints on the quad, go to Dan's to get snacks/sandwiches like we did. Unfortunately the next year, 1969, rat season was voluntary and even though there was a small contingent of freshman that wanted to continue the tradition, it was not the same. I never got my shoes shined or my brass polished.
The rat experience forced freshmen students to interact with and get to know upperclassmen and at the same time established good esprit de corps. I am glad I got the full experience....jaybird4, class of 1972, rat class 1968, D-624....still have my 2 rat caps and neither fit my head now...How did that happen?

Apr 20, 2020, 8:45 PM

My dad was a RAT his Freshman year of 1963

Apr 20, 2020, 10:09 PM

Who remembers the loud and raunchy rat cheer that started with cat???

Apr 21, 2020, 6:46 AM

Purple, I think it started with a rat as in "Rat sh--, bat sh--, p-------. So yes I do and still love it to this day...

Apr 21, 2020, 10:49 AM

Class of '70. Note my moniker. Freshman in '66. Made the mistake of arriving early to campus. Immediately drafted and seeming indentured for the next three days carrying upperclassmen trunks and luggage to their rooms, most seemed to be on top floors. Most everything else already covered by others here. I, too, found an appreciation for the process, experiencing the melding together of the 1966 freshmen from where ever into the brotherhood of the class of '70. Looking back on it, I have some comical Rat stories that are now treasured memories of my time at Clemson.

Anybody know the origin of the term RAT?

Apr 21, 2020, 11:01 AM

Just curious where the term came from

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 21, 2020, 2:23 PM

Yes ... 1957.

Apr 21, 2020, 8:53 PM

I started in '68, and RAT season was mandatory. Shaved head and ROTC. I was in the PR's my freshman year but grades forced me to focus on academics more. College was NOT like HS where you never really had to study. B-902, and I still have my RAT Hat - and even my old slide rule (what the heck is that?). LOL

Apr 21, 2020, 9:51 PM

1969...+ last year of mandatory ROTc...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic