Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Okey watches 3 strikes with runner in scoring position
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Okey watches 3 strikes with runner in scoring position

Apr 5, 2015, 4:40 PM

to end game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least that doesn't happen very often.

Apr 5, 2015, 4:53 PM

;)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Okey's line: 3-run HR in first; key walk in 8th....

Apr 5, 2015, 4:53 PM

let's see, you want him to be batting 1.0000 apparently....

we'll let you know how that goes...

Captained my baseball team in high school

Apr 5, 2015, 4:59 PM

And never had the skill sets of Okey. That said, with Okey's ability, you do not take three close pitches with the game on the line. It's beyond odd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and

Apr 5, 2015, 5:20 PM

the kid paints the edge with a fastball, you tip your cap because everyone is outguessed.

when the pitcher throws another dart on the outside corner, and he's outguessed you again with a fastball and not a curve so it hangs on the black, then you just move on to the next at bat.

this sort of 2nd guessing of the guy who is leading the team in RBI's and is hitting well over .300 over the last 3-4 weeks is simply ridiculous.

there's a limit to the reasonable use of a forum to question what others do. when a kid turns down MLB to come to Clemson, I think I'd show some discretion in what I questioned him over.

that being said, discretion has never been TNET's forte...

tell me one thing: why must we eat our own? you think that's just "human nature"...

or is it simply where humans show their lack of growth as a species?

^^ great post

Apr 5, 2015, 5:59 PM

Nm

Re: dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and

Apr 5, 2015, 7:26 PM [ in reply to dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and ]

Great post epi. Couldn't agree more. The folks on this board are ecstatic when a player gives them s

Apr 5, 2015, 7:27 PM [ in reply to dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and ]

Great post epi. Couldn't agree more. The folks on this board are ecstatic when a player gives them something t

Apr 5, 2015, 7:30 PM [ in reply to dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and ]

Great post epi. Couldn't agree more. The folks on this board are ecstatic when a player gives them something to hate on. They are the Westboro Baptist Church of college baseball fans - cowardly human beings. And I use the word "human" loosely.

Well, that thread is over. Cleaned that up perfectly.***

Apr 5, 2015, 11:00 PM [ in reply to dude, when Mahoney calls for a curve on the 2nd strike and ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yesterday we drew three straight walks being "patient" ...

Apr 5, 2015, 5:48 PM

Guess we were hoping for a repeat?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF you would listen to the broadcast then you might be

Apr 5, 2015, 6:41 PM

enlightened a bit.

Okey's hole in his swing is the sweeping/biting curve that starts out over the plate and ends up wide. He's struck out on that pitch fairly often in his career, and Munson made note of it during the at-bat.

Now in the kid's defense, there's a fair number of major leaguers who have real problems with that pitch as well - it ain't a pitch you hit to the wall often, if ever.

Having said that, Mahoney suggested that self-same pitch was coming on the 2nd strike, and that's because the pitcher had been using the curve as his out-pitch in previous at-bats with other players. Mahoney thought it was coming on the 2nd strike and apparently so did Okey - afterwards Mahoney's statement was effectively, "The pitcher snuck one by him on that pitch (2nd strike)".

What's then clear is that Okey thought the pitcher would "waste" at least one pitch off the plate with an outside curve. Instead the pitcher out-guessed them again with a fastball right on the corner for the 3rd strike. It could just as easily have gone the other way - the pitcher throwing the curve and Okey swinging through for the 3rd strike.

The point is that baseball is such a statistics-based outcome that's it's hard to view one at-bat as anything more than that - just one at bat. Okey and Mahoney both got beat by the pitcher on that at-bat. Sometimes it happens - even in critical situations.

The kid's been lighting it on fire the last 4 weeks - and while I am sure there are things he could do better, anyone with a care would understand that he isn't the problem on this team.

With 2 strikes you look fastball and adjust off speed.

Apr 5, 2015, 6:55 PM

You're saying we once again lack basic fundamentals in our approach? That's a coaching issue, right?

i wouldn't make one at bat into a coaching issue....

Apr 5, 2015, 9:45 PM

but i am sure there are those on Tnet who can.....

i wouldn't either but its a recurring issue. Bases loaded, 0

Apr 5, 2015, 10:45 PM

Or 1 out at least hit a sac fly but be aggressive and attack a fastball so you don't get behind in the count. Runners on 2nd/3rd with less than 2 outs, at least sac fly or hit to the right side. Man on second with no outs hit behind the runner.

Don't make the first or last out at 3rd. These are basic fundamentals we constantly blow. Ultimately check when I get a response, if it's another coaches responsibility then JL needs to Identify the problem and correct it by firing or educating the coach. If JL doesn't correct it and he needs to go. So far our fundamentals have gotten worse every year since 2003.

are we a fundamentally sound team? no....

Apr 5, 2015, 11:28 PM

was it a bad at-bat? again, no...

the kid just threw good pitches. it happens.

Re: IF you would listen to the broadcast then you might be

Apr 5, 2015, 7:41 PM [ in reply to IF you would listen to the broadcast then you might be ]

It's not a Okey problem, it's whoever is in that spot problem. He watched. The game was on the line, he didn't protect the plate and he walked back to the dugout game over.

yessir coach....

Apr 5, 2015, 9:44 PM

re-dam-diculous....

Re: yessir coach....

Apr 6, 2015, 7:06 AM

It wasn't a bad at bat? F@ckIng unbelievable.

Re: yessir coach....

Apr 6, 2015, 7:42 AM

In baseball terms he got 'frozen'....very common, but ugly. My brother and I both said after strike two that he would have to fight off some of those 'loopy' curves now.....great pitch call, gutsy but great. The kid loves Clemson and loves playing for Clemson...nobody wanted to be in that situation more than he did...too bad it did not work out. BEAT GEORGIA!

Re: Okey watches 3 strikes with runner in scoring position

Apr 6, 2015, 7:56 AM

You only stated an interesting fact. A very good ball player with a bad at bat.

I know he watched strike one sweep right across the middle

Apr 6, 2015, 8:09 AM

of the plate. (The same pitch he sent to the left field stands , by the way.)

I don't remember strike 2.

But strike 3 , with the tying run 90 ft away ?

You gotta be on the plate slapping at anything to put it in play..... #### make em field a bunt....something.....anything.

But maybe that's just me....Not much worse that watching 3rd strike...as a hitter.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic