Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ok, I will bite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Ok, I will bite

Dec 16, 2019, 5:21 PM

Is a dude that plays SCISA really that good? I have seen all of two of his games this year and I just dont see it. Anyone else watched him much? Hey, if CDS wants him, I'm all in, but... I just dont get that vibe watching. I'm sure this will cause some flames, but is what it is.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Burch is good, has the measureables, will need

Dec 16, 2019, 5:25 PM

a year to "get ready" for P5 Football BECAUSE of the Private School League he played in. Wish we'd get him, but he's headed elsewhere.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only watched the one game they played against

Dec 16, 2019, 5:31 PM

the PA team, and if that is representative of his ability he has a long way to go.

I thought a 5 star was a player who, if avoiding injury and developing at a normal pace, was almost a guarantee to at least get into an NFL training camp, most often through the draft.

From what I saw Burch certainly did not appear to be a guaranteed contributor in college, much less the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I only watched the one game they played against

Dec 17, 2019, 10:09 AM

In Burch's defense, what I saw in that game was a kid who got really frustrated on defense because the opposing team was only running to the other side of the field and only throwing quick passes that completely took him out of being able to make an impact on the game.

That and his team, who rarely loses, was getting absolutely destroyed and he knew that his teammates could do nothing about it since the opposing coach gameplanned him out of things.

Re: Ok, I will bite

Dec 16, 2019, 5:44 PM

Ive thought the same as you but with all the camps that HS athletes go to during the offseason and all the film they have of them its kinda hard to say he isnt as advertised. I mean if Clemson, LSU, UGA all want him then he must be pretty good. He did really well in the rivals camp which is what put him up as high as he is.

Dec 16, 2019, 9:13 PM

That's the thing. Burch has skipped almost all the camps, and all the really big ones. He is big, strong, and somewhat fast. I think he has a high potential upside, but could also be a bust. I think Venables wants him because of that upside. But I think we locked up the more sure thing at defensive end, even though Murphy gets strangely little press.

Ummm, I could be wrong but wasn’t Mikey Dukes

Dec 16, 2019, 5:47 PM

SCISA at First Baptist a High School in Charleston? He’s been pretty fair in mop up duty as a true freshman. So, not sure playing in SCISA is an automatic rejection.

Re: Ummm, I could be wrong but wasn’t Mikey Dukes

Dec 16, 2019, 6:01 PM

Maybe it has changed a lot since I last lived there. All i know is my brother played at Wilson Hall and they played Hammond. I went to and played at a small 2A public school and we would have worked both teams badly back then. Way different class of speed and size in most cases. Hence why I have wondered I guess. Hey, if coaches want him I'm all in, but it has nagged at me all season.

Gaines Adams...

Dec 16, 2019, 6:04 PM [ in reply to Ummm, I could be wrong but wasn’t Mikey Dukes ]

played 8-man football for a small private school (Cambridge Academy) down in Greenwood and he became a fourth round NFL draft selection.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Gaines Adams...

Dec 16, 2019, 9:05 PM

Gaines was a 1st round selection. Think auto correct sabotaged you.

Yup...4th overall pick in the 1st round. ***

Dec 17, 2019, 9:10 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Gaines Adams...

Dec 16, 2019, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Gaines Adams... ]

Cambridge back then was a different animal though. They recruited players from all over and gave them scholarships to play (they were winning state titles in 8 man and beating teams like 80-0). Gaines was recruited from a military school in Virginia because he was so dominant. And they had a very good coaching staff. And even then, it took him some time to find his footing in college. For every Gaines, there's 100 small school stars who didn't pan out. Maybe Burch is in that boat, but we'll see.

So, who was the head coach at Cambridge when Gaines Adams

Dec 17, 2019, 9:35 AM

was there. What school did he reach out to on Adams first? And they weren’t interested!

Head coach at Cambridge hint - he didn’t play football at Clemson! ***

Dec 17, 2019, 10:02 AM

Dec 16, 2019, 6:11 PM

Is a dude that plays SCISA really that good? I have seen all of two of his games this year and I just dont see it. Anyone else watched him much? Hey, if CDS wants him, I'm all in, but... I just dont get that vibe watching. I'm sure this will cause some flames, but is what it is.

The only time I’ve seen him play was that early season game against the team from Pennsyltucky. I watched that game specifically to see what the Burch hype was all about and in the end I just didn’t get it. Of course I assumed the coaches to be better evaluators of talent than myself and I concluded that I must not know how to recognize ability.

But all that said, I traveled to Virginia Beach to watch Jordan Williams play as a high school senior. He was 6-5, 255 and a holy terror on wheels. You wouldn’t expect the biggest kid out there to be the fastest kid out there, but he was. I talked to Marion Hobby that night and coach told me they expected him to play a lot like Clelin Ferrell. ......Then he showed up on campus weighing 280 pounds and they immediately moved him to DT.

Still, I know what a super athletic DE can look like lined up against other high school kids.

I've seen highlights from DJU, Bresee, and Simpson

Dec 16, 2019, 6:20 PM

Dec 16, 2019, 6:17 PM

The one game I saw against the school from PA, they lost and for most if that game he looked like a fish out of water. Nothing like watching the dominance of Bresee.

I don't care where you go to school. If you are a 5 star, you should hold your own against any competition.

Message was edited by: saddis56®

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2019, 6:23 PM

He seems like a very good athlete but a very raw football player that will take a couple of years to develop just like KJ Henry. No matter where he goes I don’t see him contributing much next year, just look at another S.C. High School DE that the recruiting sites said was a can’t miss, impact player Zach Pickens. He wasn’t an elite DE, he’s an average DT and will be a good player in time at USC at DT. All the schools recruiting Burch are doing so because he has great potential not because he’s already great.

Dec 16, 2019, 8:55 PM

I guess I need more education on star ratings. I thought a 5 star athlete was the top athlete close to being able to contribute. I also thought that players rated 3 stars are good athletes that need development and 4 star players could be 50/50 as far as being ready early and/or needing some development.

TL, Tee, Ross, XT (just to name a few) all 5 stars making instant impact. Tyler Davis a 4 star and jumped right into DL. I hope Bresee doesn't need development time?

I guess I wouldn't rate anyone a 5 star that can't contribute positively from the go (once they know enough of the system to contribute). IMO making someone a 5 star that needs development is wrong. Those are 3 and 4 star players.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Ok, I will bite ]

Seems like Dlinemen usually need a year or two to really hit their stride. Not all of them, but its not unusual for them to not really shine right away. We were lucky to get a couple of guys who did pretty well quickly but we've had lots of others that took a while.

Dec 16, 2019, 8:56 PM

He played against my kids school and it’s really difficult to gauge his skill level. He certainly has the size and speed but when you outweigh the competition by 65 pounds it just isn’t much of a challenge. I suspect he will eventually live up to his star ranking but it wouldn’t surprise me if he takes a year or two to develop solid technique (which he hasn’t needed playing in SCISA)

Is a team that plays in the ACC really that good? I have

Dec 17, 2019, 7:22 AM

seen all of two of Clemson's games this year and I just don't see it. Anyone else watched much...

-- ESPN

Re: Is a team that plays in the ACC really that good? I have

Dec 17, 2019, 2:45 PM

I get what you are saying, but I think it's apples and oranges. Despite the national narrative most teams in the ACC can't compete with the bulk of the teams in the power five. whereas most public school programs I have watched would have boat raced the bulk of the SCISA. Athletes even on the middling teams are superior. For every kid from SCISA who makes a power 5, 20 go to Newberry or PC. My brothers team had the best QB and punter in the league. Went to Wofford and didnt pan out. I get your point, but the level of competition at least used to be night and day. From what I have gathered, over the years the private school system has made a few changes that go without saying have increased the quality of athletes that wasn't happening 20 years ago. I don't doubt that it's better but I can't imagine it's come that far but I could be wrong. I just think back to the 5'6" 140lb coaches kid that you could time with a sundial was the starting running back on one of those teams I saw.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic