Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games

Feb 14, 2020, 1:51 PM

Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games

Believe it or not, balloons or lack thereof at football games is still a hot topic around Clemson’s campus. The balloons were a gameday tradition at Clemson foo Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is still littering.***

Feb 14, 2020, 1:54 PM

Re: It is still littering.***

Feb 14, 2020, 2:21 PM

A tradition that the administration should have never bowed down to the extremists ??????

Feb 14, 2020, 2:33 PM

where not littering is considered extremist

Look, some snowflake TDd your post***

Feb 14, 2020, 6:00 PM

Re: 2020

Feb 15, 2020, 12:39 AM [ in reply to 2020 ]

Bring the balloons back!!!!! That’s my and others vote

Simple solution

Feb 14, 2020, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

Build a dome.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

^This is a great idea***

Feb 15, 2020, 7:32 AM

Feb 14, 2020, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

You know what the opposite of tradition is ?

Progress

Feb 14, 2020, 8:59 PM

Yes yes....when are we doing away with Thanksgiving and the Rock? Lots of turkeys die unnecessarily and the rock is being worn away by all the rubbing. It would be progress.

Yeah.. no***

Feb 14, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

The opposite of tradition is not progress . . .

Feb 14, 2020, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

the opposite of tradition is constant reinvention and complete detachment from the past.

And the opposite of progress is not tradition, but rather regress. Duh.

That's a horrible way of looking at it.***

Feb 15, 2020, 1:39 AM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 4:38 PM [ in reply to It is still littering.*** ]

No it's really not though, something that has zero carbon footprint that dissolves and leaves nothing behind to removed or picked up off the ground is not littering. If some of the balloons take longer to dissolve than others they will be gone by the first time the ground gets wet or dew falls on the ground.

Feb 14, 2020, 4:50 PM

While I want the balloons back and support this, I looked into it and it looks like they take a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of four years to biodegrade.

Do you have any info to support otherwise? A balloon that supports the physics required to be inflated, but also dissolve at the first dew seems like something that would have been the first google search result.

What do you know that I don’t?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 6:35 PM

How long does it take plastic bottles, beer cans or bottles, fast food wrappers and cups. We can finds millions of things that can damage our wild life when we have nothing to do but complain about what everybody else does. Nothing in our world has damage or killed off our wild life more than cutting down our forest and pouring concrete and asphalt over the land where wild life has lived and survived for thousands of years!!! We're going to complain and stop biodegradable balloons from being release for 7 days out of 365 days!!! Come on folks, put all that wasted energy from complaining about harmless balloons, to complaining about much worst things like cutting down the forest and covering it with concrete, asphalt, huge building. Just attempt to stop polluting the rivers and stream where our wildlife drink from and die. The same places where they had been drinking the water from for thousands of years, and it kills them now bc of pollutants from manufacturing that had promised to keep those rivers and streams clean and safe to drink, and they lied and they get away with it bc they are big money that pays their fines and keep polluting. Cry about that if you're serious about what is dangerous for our wildlife. Biodegradable balloons isn't what's destroying our wild life, it's big money and their refusal to stop polluting, and they have our lawmakers, and our government in their pocket to turn a blind eye!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It won't happen because most people (and im not excluding

Feb 15, 2020, 7:35 AM

myself here) are selfish and mostly care about things that impact their own lives. People whine about the balloons being gone because they liked they balloons and don't really care about the negative impacts of the balloons because that aspect of it does not impact their lives. They don't care about cutting down trees unless it's the lot next door and their privacy is suddenly gone. They don't care about plastic being dumped unless it all washes up on their beach, or flows through their river, or ends up in their yard. It's just the way it is.

Feb 14, 2020, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

Hey, don't be bringing facts into this argument !!

Feb 15, 2020, 8:07 AM [ in reply to Re: It is still littering.*** ]

Actually, you're wrong. Balloons take as long as A LEAF to degrade.

https://www.abc.net.au/science/surfingscientist/heliumballoons.htm

Where are your sources?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s why we should chop down ALL the trees!

Feb 15, 2020, 8:50 AM

Them b@sturds are littering the world and must be stopped!

~JKB

Feb 14, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to It is still littering.*** ]

Stop throwing your beer cans in my yard and let the balloons fly

Re: TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games

Feb 14, 2020, 1:56 PM

The irony of doing this while the terps are in town. Yeah I know terps are different but its similar. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

can we sign it too?***

Feb 14, 2020, 1:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games

Feb 14, 2020, 2:21 PM

Great idea!! Bring them back!!

Bravo to the student who got this started....

Feb 14, 2020, 2:24 PM

now can we get rid of the woo hoo?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Feb 14, 2020, 2:34 PM

GREAT TRADITION... BioDegradable Win Win Lets do it.... Where can us good old clemson orange bloods sign up !

Here's the link.

Feb 14, 2020, 2:40 PM

Here's the link.

https://www.change.org/p/clemson-university-athletics-bring-back-clemson-football-balloons?recruiter=84349595&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi&utm_term=psf_combo_share_abi&recruited_by_id=776845cd-3199-4c1e-ae8c-b89b921d6c8a&utm_content=fht-20138775-en-us%3Av2

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's the link.

Feb 14, 2020, 5:08 PM

I'm all in for the ballons.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TURTLE KILLERS

Feb 14, 2020, 2:53 PM

DIE #######

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate the balloons, mostly because it caused my Central

Feb 20, 2021, 9:49 PM

Spirit college buddies to have to cut the debauchery short so they could wake up early to go blow up balloons.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:18 PM

https://www.peba.com.au/legislation-and-policy

http://sustainability.umich.edu/news/balloon-release-impact

Biodegradable balloons do cause actual, significant problems.

I made a post earlier about this issue being contrived. After being shown some additional information, it appears I was wrong. Upon further research, there is no environmentally/animal friendly balloon release. It does cause a lot of suffering for animals. Slowly torturing even one bird to death is not a proportional trade for watching a bunch of cool looking balloons.

Be capable of realizing you are wrong; it's the only way to get better.

Yes it seems there is more evidence of the damage

Feb 14, 2020, 3:23 PM

that the balloons do than there is of the plastic straws that are slowly being removed in coastal areas.

I dug into the straw controversy a long time ago.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:25 PM

I am not against plastic straws. I would be against shooting a million of them up into the sky though.

I'm not against balloons either. Just having a mass littering event.

Re: Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it. ]

If you use plastic off any kind, you are guilty of much worse. That includes straws, trash bags, grocery bags, bubble wrap, etc. let’s focus on bigger issues in the environment before we get side ways over the efficiency of biodegradable balloons. More animals die and suffer from six pack stringers than all the world’s balloons combined. Ask Pesico and Coca-Cola to stop production of those, then we can work about dang balloons!

It's worse to throw them in a river than it is to throw them

Feb 14, 2020, 3:33 PM

in a trash bin.

Intentionally releasing something like that in huge numbers into natural habitats of animals knowing it will kill them seems like an especially easy way to avoid unnecessary suffering.

I also don't litter. I think it should be illegal for people to litter.

Amen brother.***

Feb 15, 2020, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it. ]

We already solved the balloon issue. Nothing left to work on***

Feb 15, 2020, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:31 PM [ in reply to Ok I did some reading. Even the dang balloon industry is against it. ]

If you use plastic off any kind, you are guilty of much worse. That includes straws, trash bags, grocery bags, bubble wrap, etc. let’s focus on bigger issues in the environment before we get side ways over the efficiency of biodegradable balloons. More animals die and suffer from six pack stringers than all the world’s balloons combined. Ask Pesico and Coca-Cola to stop production of those, then we can work about dang balloons!

I use palstic and I am not guilty of anything related

Feb 15, 2020, 2:10 AM

to my plastic use

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The speed at which biodegradable balloons decompose

Feb 14, 2020, 3:23 PM

is something I don't see any experiments about. You'd think kids at our scientifically minded university would conduct such an experiment, follow the scientific process and document the results. I don't care either way with the balloons, but there's misinformation on both sides and a general lack of information on the pro-balloon side concerning how long it takes latex balloons degrade. Just stating something that would strengthen the argument one way or the other.

Just found this in a couple minutes on Google.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:27 PM

https://balloonsblow.org/biodegradability-backyard-test/

Re: Just found this in a couple minutes on Google.

Feb 14, 2020, 7:46 PM

Imagine basing our decisions on reality.

Nice work CSO- thanks

Gotta get the big balloon lobby to pay for the

Feb 14, 2020, 3:27 PM [ in reply to The speed at which biodegradable balloons decompose ]

University to study this. I'm not sure how something that was really a waste of money went on for so long to start with.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ain't none of these damm balloons making it to the coast.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:57 PM

unless a fan from Chas or MYB puts in their car.

I know, let's put up some windmills to balance it out. That way, we can just blame all the dead birds on the windmills, and those are eco friendly so it's okay.

I want the balloons back, and the choir to sing the Alma Mater and National Anthem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ain't none of these damm balloons making it to the coast.

Feb 14, 2020, 9:05 PM

Windmills - Eagle, Buzzard, Hawk, Condor “processor”.

has a biodegradable balloon ever been

Feb 14, 2020, 9:25 PM

found to be the cause of death of any animal?

Yes. It takes years to breakdown. Even the balloon industry

Feb 15, 2020, 1:34 AM

says not to release them and to dispose of them properly.

I'm curious, can you show some of the data

Feb 15, 2020, 6:28 AM

on the number of animals being killed, and the balloon industry's comments on that and how to dispose of balloons? I'd be interested in learning more about how balloons are a threat to the animal kingdom, how many animals have been found dead due to balloons, and the balloon industrys admission of such and comments on how to properly dispose of a balloon. Has the balloon industry comments been updated to include these new balloons which apparently have a higher rate of biodegradability? Overall I'm thinking there would be zero to little effects from the balloon release at Clemson and I imagine there is zero evidence of one our balloons ever killing an animal.

Re: Yes. It takes years to breakdown. Even the balloon industry

Feb 15, 2020, 6:43 AM [ in reply to Yes. It takes years to breakdown. Even the balloon industry ]

I don't have an opinion one way or another about balloons, but I'll bet the balloon industry lawyers told them to say that.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 14, 2020, 9:29 PM

Is it littering if it’s biodegradable? I through an Apple core out it can be called littering. We need middle of the road common sense in today’s world. If the balloons are not harmful to animals and degrade within a reasonable time, then other than a balloon landing on a gamecock yard how can it be offensive, create harm, and not to be tolerated.

I love our environment and too want to protect it... but let’s bring back SAFE BALLOONS. It is a wonder when they fly!

"Biodegradable balloons" take several years to breakdown.

Feb 15, 2020, 1:38 AM

Obviously it takes less than a few years for a balloon to slowly torture an animal to death. As a result, all balloon releases pose a very real threat to animals that encounter them when they land.

I just discovered this today so I'm not preaching.

Re: "Biodegradable balloons" take several years to breakdown.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:29 AM

I beg to differ sir. I’ve read all of your posts on this thread and you are definitely preaching.

If you don't get why releasing the balloon isn't a good

Feb 15, 2020, 12:41 PM

thing, you need to be preached to

Simple solutions

Feb 14, 2020, 10:37 PM

Tie a 300' string to each balloon so you can pull them back down

One really ginormous balloon that would be easy to find

Arm ROTC to shoot them down before they left campus, and everyone pick them up on the way out

Someone invent orange bubbles and hand out a bottle to every fan so they wave and blow to their hearts delight and then they would pop in to oblivion

As Daniel Bryan would say, “YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

Feb 14, 2020, 10:38 PM

YES! YES! YES!”

It’s not the same without the balloons. I never thought I would miss balloons so much.

My vote is still for Orange Smoke

Feb 15, 2020, 7:29 AM

When did the balloon release stop? I didn't even notice it was gone.

Surprised you didn’t notice it.

Feb 15, 2020, 9:08 AM

It was kinda a big deal. More important than Dippin’ Dots IMO.

My wife really misses it. She thought it was really cool and looked pretty. And anything to get her to a game was a plus for me.

I think they stopped it starting in 2018.

~JKB

there is no way you're a 1981 grad, go to games, watched

Feb 15, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games ]

the pregame ritual, but then never noticed they were gone or heard any of the scuttlebutt about it.

I'm calling shenanigans.

Feb 16, 2020, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clemson student starts petition to bring back balloons at football games ]

Yeah, come to watch the best team in college football - get pissed off at no balloons.

Serious question for the pro-ballooners

Feb 15, 2020, 12:15 PM

Is this really about a passion for the balloons, or is this a political statement?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're onto something here

Feb 15, 2020, 12:40 PM

Litter en masse out of spite = owning the libs?

Re: I think you're onto something here

Feb 16, 2020, 1:18 PM

How sad for grown men.

Grown men...pining for balloons. Like children. Amazing.***

Feb 15, 2020, 2:45 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic