Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pro baseball out of high school or play college
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Pro baseball out of high school or play college

Feb 5, 2019, 6:22 PM

football? I’m thinking about the RB we want out of Mississippi. I was listening to this argument on the radio recently concerning the current Oklahoma QB who has declared for the NFL draft vs going pro in baseball. Argument against going the baseball route was that, though you get a signing bonus, unless you are a Hank Aaron, you are going to be making a small salary and riding busses for several years until, if you do, make the big leagues.

If you excel in football at the college level, and get a good draft pick, you make a lot more money.

If your son had this decision to make, what would you advise him to do?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pro baseball out of high school or play college

Feb 5, 2019, 6:30 PM

Go to Clemson and play football, baseball, or both... duh

If you’re a top 5 round talent in baseball out of HS

Feb 5, 2019, 7:37 PM

I think you should go the baseball route. That’s where the money is instantly and your body will thank you when you are old. Anything less, I think it’s more worth it to go to college and play it out there. At the end of the day, you have to pick what you are most passionate about in my opinion. I think Kyler Murray is a really good baseball player but he loves football more...that’s why he is going to give the NFL a go.

I don’t know Ealy’s feeling on baseball, but he shouldn’t go pro just because he’ll be a top pick. He needs to go pro because it’s what he loves and wants to do. If he doesn’t know yet, go to college and figure it out when you’re a junior.

I’m glad I didn’t have to know exactly what I wanted to do when I was 18 years old.

A college education is with you for life, nobody can take it

Feb 6, 2019, 6:02 AM

away. Money comes and goes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes I agree, but people go back to school all the time.***

Feb 6, 2019, 9:25 AM

Feb 5, 2019, 8:10 PM

To counter that look at U5C tight end about 2 years ago, went pro in baseball didn't work out he then went to U5C and did very well and entered the NFL draft and went in the 1st round later on. When you sign those contracts embedded in would be 4 years tuition to return to school later. It's no longer a bad thing to skip school and go to the majors and unless my kid disliked baseball compared to the football I would advise take him to take advantage of this opportunity. But if he truly didn't know I would accept him going to college and playing both.

Feb 5, 2019, 8:17 PM

I think the nfl just did not like the idea of a Heisman qb not even playing in the nfl. Murray used the leverage and may get more money because of it.

I don’t think he could see himself riding buses to and from small markets and battling prospects from all over the world just to move up a step. Not when he could be flying all over and fighting for a starting spot in the nfl.

If we are being honest it’s easier to make it in the nfl than mlb.

Feb 5, 2019, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Pro baseball out of high school or play college ]

my thoughts exactly

Feb 5, 2019, 8:27 PM

I think it has a lot to do with how good the guy is at each sport. But, in either case, if the bonus is millions, then I recommend bball. I think FSU had a QB that played bball and came back to FSU and later played in the NFL for Carolina. I think FSU even won a NC with him at QB. So, the guy could take the huge bonus and still make the NFL later.

After spending six years attempting to play professional baseball, Chris Weinke became the oldest player to win the Heisman Trophy, winning the award at 28 years old. But NFL teams didn’t really see the value in selecting a player who would be days away from his 30th birthday, which is why Weinke fell to the fourth round of the 2001 NFL Draft.

Feb 5, 2019, 9:12 PM

He will have all the bargaining leverage out of HS. If he is a 1st round pick his signing bonus will be in the millions, he would be crazy not to take that. I know he loves football, but baseball offers less wear and tear and if a club takes you in the 1st round your going to make it to the bigs. Go back and look at how many 1st rounders have not made it to the show, I bet the list isn't long. He is not a pitcher, so he is less likely to have a devastating arm injury in baseball. Clubs really are in-depth when they take a guy in the early part of the draft. The percentages for guys in the first five rounds of the draft making it to the bigs are high. That being said, if he is drafted in the 1st round he will not see a college campus.

If you're drafted in the MLB 1st round, that's life-changing $$$

Feb 5, 2019, 11:46 PM

and I'm just talking about the signing bonus. So it's a choice between guaranteed instant wealth or a decent shot at somewhat more guaranteed money if you're an NFL 1st-rounder. At that point, I imagine your family situation plays a huge part in your decision. Risking millions of dollars to play a dangerous sport for no money for 3 years is just not a wise decision for a lot of kids.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you're drafted in the MLB 1st round, that's life-changing $$$

Feb 6, 2019, 5:36 AM

There will be a number of factors to consider, for example .......

1) Which sport are you most passionate about?
2) Which sport are you most likely to succeed in?
3) Going to the NFL gives you a better chance of making money in the short term.
4) If you make the Big Leagues, baseball gives you the longer career, and the most money over the course of that career (unless you're a top QB).
5) You're more likely to get a career ending injury playing football.
6) How much do you want to get paid now, or are you prepared to back your talentin the long term?

There are probably more factors to consider, and each individual will have a different perspective. What is right for one person, will be wrong for someone else.

Obviously a tough decision but if it were me

Feb 6, 2019, 5:55 AM

I would choose college first. Sure, being rich at 19 is very nice and if he saves his money the right way he could easily retire at 30. But imo, having an opportunity to play for a national championship football team, a #### good baseball team and get a degree at the same time is worth more than any money pro baseball is going to give him. Even if he doesn’t like the college experience at least he won’t go the rest of his life wondering “what if”. Just my opinion about the situation, I’ll support whatever decision he makes.

Re: Obviously a tough decision but if it were me

Feb 6, 2019, 6:13 AM

I'm with you Bleedorange 09. I feel college helps you grow up. Especially being around Dabo, our staff, and our program. Play both sports and then make a decision after 3 years. We all know that Clemson is the Greatest Place on Earth. So to Mr. Elay , please don't give up that opportunity . GO TIGERS

Feb 6, 2019, 6:09 AM

To me it depends on position my son plays. If he is a QB say DJU, I want him to go to college. Limited hits and lower risk of injury. Money for a QB is just as good as MLB player.

Pretty much any other position if he is projected a first round draft pick im saying baseball. Especially a RB where your body will be broken by 40.

Baseball.

Feb 6, 2019, 9:28 AM

The risk of injury which limits his play and his endurance in the league is much too great. Any small thing can 'untune,' a baseball career, it doesn't take a damaged leg or arm. A finger can make the difference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic