Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT: SC BBQ Hash Featured
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

OT: SC BBQ Hash Featured

Feb 19, 2020, 6:57 PM

Back in November, Hanna Raskin, the Post and Courier's Food editor, asked me which SCBBQ restaurants served hash. Took a couple of weeks and put together a list for her and, at the same time, took the opportunity to put an article and map together on my site.

Obviously, she was working on a piece for the paper. Well, it's BBQ Hash week at the Post and Courier, and Raskin did a fantastic job covering the topic. It is a must-read if you are a hash or SCBBQ fan.

It is an in-depth look at hash in which she quotes lots of restaurant owners on the topic. Plus she breaks down the liver vs no-liver trend. She hits up virtually every place east of 95 (P&C coverage area) and has blurbs/photos/quotes on their hash.

Main problem may be that P&C is behind a paywall, but you get two articles free/mo. Enjoy:

Main Article
Hash, South Carolina’s greatest contribution to barbecue canon, fading across Lowcountry

Related Pieces
Where to find hash in eastern South Carolina (destination-bbq.com gets a mention!)

The Liver Contingent

The Non-Liver Crowd

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT: SC BBQ Hash Featured

Feb 19, 2020, 7:02 PM

not very good, too many good places not mentioned

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 7:05 PM

Keep in mind, Raskin is writing for the Post and Courier audience. Think she discusses almost every location in their general circulation area in one or more of the articles linked.

Feb 19, 2020, 7:24 PM

I personally do not want any liver in my hash. Boston butt, ketchup, black pepper, salt, hot sauce, and a little vinegar.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2020, 6:05 AM

2000® said:

I personally do not want any liver in my hash. Boston butt, ketchup, black pepper, salt, hot sauce, and a little vinegar.

No liver for me either. I’m not a fan of the low country red hash. I prefer the Hash from the Upstate.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 20, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Re: OT: SC BBQ Hash Featured ]

Liver will definitely catch you off-guard when you're not used to it being there. I like it personally I even enjoy the classic liver and onions, but I'm not heart-broken when it is not in the mix.

Feb 20, 2020, 6:17 AM

None of those at least in my area of the Pee Dee(Florence and Williamsburg Counties) are very good and the good ones aren't listed. I'm a liver guy. I loved the days when we would butcher either BBQ or meat hogs and my grandma(best cook ever) would cook liver stew. It contained several parts of the animal that most people nowadays have never eaten.It was basically the same thing as the liver hash in BBQ restaurants but it wasn't ground into a hash. Yum the good ole days.

Feb 20, 2020, 11:18 AM

Man, that harkens back to yesteryear. That's not something many people today would understand.

Feb 20, 2020, 11:25 AM

True. I barbeque at least one hog every year at Christmas. Invite all of our friends and of course the family. The goal is to consume as much as possible but there's always some left over to freeze. I still butcher my bbq hog but it's been a few years since we butchered meat hogs. Processing plant bbq hogs are so hit and miss you never know what you'll get. I remember one year we killed 13 meat hogs in one day. That is something I still miss when we get several cold days in a row.

Feb 20, 2020, 4:17 PM

Nice tradition. We cook a hog on Dec. 23 for our annual gathering on Christmas Eve. No matter how well I think the hog has been picked over, there is always a lot left. This year, I would have sworn it was almost all gone. We had a full steam tray brimming over by the time we finished going over it. Freeze it and it makes for a nice treat later in the year.

Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton is the best there is***

Feb 20, 2020, 11:25 AM

Re: Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton is the best there is***

Feb 20, 2020, 11:29 AM

They don't sauce their Q when it's on the cooker. Or at least they didn't the 15 years I lived in Aiken. The best bbq I've ever had other than my own is from Scott's near Johnsonville, SC. If you go there on Thursday to Saturday be prepared to stand in line for a while.

Re: Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton is the best there is***

Feb 21, 2020, 12:21 AM

The best you’ll find anywhere

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic