Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OT- Trip to Costa Rica
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

OT- Trip to Costa Rica

Feb 15, 2017, 8:02 AM

Anyone with vacation experience in Costa Rica? Taking family and kids this May. Ages 10 and 13.

Going to Arenal Volcano area, Monteverde Cloud Forest, and beach at Manuel Antonio.

Looking for advice on good tours or things to do in those areas with family.

Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OT- Trip to Costa Rica

Feb 15, 2017, 8:24 AM

My wife and I honeymooned at Nayara hotel in the Arenal area. I highly recommend the zip line @ Arenal. Longest line 2496ft, highest 656ft -very high, very fast. Great views! Our second favorite excursion was the waterfall rappelling excursion. Highest waterfall 80ft. We also did a guided nature walk--- lots of exotic birds and frogs!

Have never been to the beach area, but have heard great reviews also.

Sounds like a great vacation!

Feb 15, 2017, 8:28 AM

Take the fam to the butterfly garden in MA. It's pretty cool with a nice educational twist.

Also there is a jungle tour in Quepos where you'll see plenty of sloths, monkeys, poison dart frogs, and plenty of flora and fauna

Feb 15, 2017, 8:42 AM

Also if you're into fishing, take them rooster fishing. Very exciting and kinda nice slaying roosters if you get my drift!

Truly Pura Vida

Been to those areas dozens of times..

Feb 15, 2017, 8:36 AM

All the stuff is pretty straightforward. Hot springs up Arenal are okay and something to do. River rafting etc etc. Zip lines in Arenal and Monteverde are options. Other than that, just wing it and check out the nature. Manuel Antonio you will see tons of birds, sloths, iguanas, jungle, monkeys, fishing, and who knows what else.

Feb 15, 2017, 8:41 AM

Try the excursion to Nicaragua. It is really safe and stable now and you can see the "great lakes" of Nicaragua. Both of them have volcanoes in the lake, one is active, one is dormant. It is a great day and not quite as commercial. The water slide at Buena Vista is fantastic too. Used to be the longest in the world, not sure if it still is. Have fun, it's a great trip.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2017, 9:02 AM

Lived in Nicaragua and Costa Rica for a year after college; would be happy to help. How old are your kids? Are you looking for adventure or just relaxing?

Feb 15, 2017, 11:18 AM

One thing I learned down there...if you are waiting for a repairman, "manana" does NOT mean tomorrow, it means "not today".
Great place to visit, though

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wife of cuva is Costa Rican and we go every year. Beautiful

Feb 15, 2017, 9:08 AM

Country. Warning- if you are driving don't speed, cops will shake you down for $$. Arenal and Manuel Antonio are like being back in the US, Americans everywhere, both are very touristy. Arenal, if not clouded in is cool, lots to do around there. Was clouded in in Dec, but still had a nice time. Manuel Antonio monkeys and iguanas everywhere. If you want the ultimate experience go to Corcavado National Park by boat and stay in Drake Bay, which is a couple hours south of Manuel Antonio. One of the nicer beaches on the pacific is in the Punta Leona resort.

Monteverde Cloud Forest was really nice, but take a jacket since it's up in the mountains. Make sure you do the zipline stuff. On a clear day you can see Arenal from there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Lot's of good input above. If you are driving, make sure to

Feb 15, 2017, 9:21 AM

get the GPS they offer at the rental place. Don't rely on your phone or whatever. Likewise they will warn you to never leave anything in your car when you are away from it, so keep that in mind on any mid-day excursions between hotels. If you are driving and some of the road signs have been removed and you miss a turn, just buy the 5 dollar map that the dude is standing in the road selling and you will be fine.

Beautiful country and great food & drink. I never felt unsafe anywhere but they do warn the heck out of you.

Enjoy!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lot's of good input above. If you are driving, make sure to

Feb 15, 2017, 9:29 AM

Thanks for the help. Kids are 10 and 13. Looking for some adventure (white water, zipline) as well as the nature/wildlife stuff.

I would love to get down to Corcovado this trip but not gonna happen. Just chose the big three (Arenal, Monteverde, MA) so the kids can experience the volcano, cloud forest, and beach.

Would love to sneak a half day fishing trip out of Manuel Antonio. Anyone have a lead on a reasonably priced guide in that area? We will have a car so I can drive if need be.

Feb 15, 2017, 9:34 AM

Fishing can booked by just about anyone. I booked the rooster fishing trip with the hotel staff. They set me up with a guide and it was awesome! Fished in the breakers for rooster and pompanos. You won't forget it because it's extreme

Corcovado is my favorite.

Feb 15, 2017, 9:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Lot's of good input above. If you are driving, make sure to ]

There is a great wave close to there called Pan Dulce. Plus it is just peaceful area. On last thing about Manuel Antonio, there are tones of gay people there. I am liberal person and I don't have young children. That said, it something to think about if you would feel uncomfortable. Somme hotels are more in your face than others.

Feb 15, 2017, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Lot's of good input above. If you are driving, make sure to ]

what kind of time are you working with? and what town are you staying?

man i enjoyed this thread..take me!***

Feb 15, 2017, 9:46 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I've only been to Tamarindo area on the NW coast

Feb 15, 2017, 10:04 AM

My girlfriend at the time had been the summer before for a surf camp and I went with her the following summer.

She went to 'camp' during the day and I went off daily to one of the advanced surf tours (because I rule). Sometimes would take three hours to get to the right spot so was able to enjoy some interesting Suzuki Samurai rides.

Geographically doesn't appear to suit your plans but I share for others as this is a good time for all of you and family are active.

http://info.witchsrocksurfcamp.com

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cool restaurant in Manuel Antiono...El A

Feb 15, 2017, 10:27 AM

http://costaverde.com/elavion/

https://www.govisitcostarica.com/blog/post/how-a-plane-become-one-of-manuel-antonios-most-popular-restaurants.aspx

Do the Tabacon Hot Springs. Be very careful near Jaco

Feb 15, 2017, 10:51 AM

Went swimming on an empty beach outside Jaco years ago. Came back and our car was busted open with everything taken (passports, clothes, everything). Spent a miserable few days trying to navigate Costa Rica with no money or IDs, convincing the US Embassy we were Americans, and again trying to buy a passport without money. Ruined what was otherwise a nice trip.

Costa Rica is beautiful (Arenal, Manuel Antonio, etc). People are friendly. As said by others, don't leave anything of value in your car anywhere.

Kids might enjoy seeing all the alligators/crocs. Can often find them hanging out in bulk below bridges.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do the Tabacon Hot Springs. Be very careful near Jaco

Feb 15, 2017, 11:13 AM

10 day/9 night trip. 3 nights in Arenal, Monteverde, and Manuel Antonio.

We looked at staying at the hotel with the plane but they were booked.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic