Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Nyheim Hines, recruiting story?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 6,384

Nyheim Hines, recruiting story?

Oct 6, 2017, 10:10 AM

Does anyone remember the back story on Hines and the 2015 recruiting class? From what I remember, part of the discomfort with the perceived nepotism (or whatever you call it) in giving scholarships to Davis bros and Trapp, Jr was that we filled up and couldn't take someone like Hines, who is a stick of dynamite although undersized.

The article linked below sort of alludes to it. Although Dabo walks on water from my perspective, and although the above mentioned players may make solid contributions, it's fair to ask whether we would we be better adding a playmaker like Hines rather than going another direction. Especially, god forbid, if an upset in Raleigh derails a potential shot at (gasp) back to back Natties.

"I thought I was going to Clemson most of my recruiting process," Hines acknowledged. "When most people thought I was going to State, I really thought I was going to Clemson. They were my top school for over a year."

https://ncstate.rivals.com/news/nyheim-hines-growing-more-confident

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nyheim Hines, recruiting story?

Oct 6, 2017, 10:29 AM

We backed off after taking Ray Ray

EH, maybe but,

Oct 6, 2017, 10:29 AM

but we have 4 good rb on the roster right now. And quality depth at linebacker, so it is fun to speculate but I don't think it would have made much of a difference. Besides, Hines gets 90% of the touches at NCST, he would not get that here even if he was the starter, and that may have swayed him to go play at NCST more than anything.

Re: EH, maybe but,

Oct 6, 2017, 10:34 AM

Wouldn't swap hip for any of our four backs, or Trapp or the Davis boys!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 11:17 AM

No we would not be better. We have 4 scholarship RB's who are better than Hines. End of story. Funny how people are still questioning our recruiting; the proof is in the pudding

Oct 6, 2017, 12:37 PM

> No we would not be better. We have 4 scholarship RB's
> who are better than Hines. End of story. Funny how
> people are still questioning our recruiting; the
> proof is in the pudding

Sorry, we do not. Feaster and Etienne are probably better but Hines is also incredibly versatile and pops up everywhere. Hines is substantially better than Choice or Fuller. They're no-frills, blue-collars, between-the-tackles RB's and that's it...Hines you can play in 3-4 different spots and catch mismatches all over the field with.

Sometimes even the best staff misses and makes mistakes, and we did miss on Hines. Happens.

Oct 8, 2017, 9:47 PM

http://gifs.com/gif/cfp-semifinal-fiesta-bowl-ohio-state-buckeyes-vs-clemson-tigers-in-30-minutes-12-31-16-NxK79N

We took Ray Ray over Hines

Oct 6, 2017, 12:33 PM

But I wish we could have had both. He is one of the most dangerous players in the ACC. I hope we don't kick or punt him a returnable ball.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: We took Ray Ray over Hines

Oct 6, 2017, 1:11 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. No doubt we have great wrs and at least a couple great rbs, but Hines would have added to that PLUS an element to the return game we haven't had in a long time.

Not sour grapes or anything as hindsight is 20/20, but I think this type of situation was the main reason people questioned the noted takes. IMO, the question was not whether those guys were solid contributions, just whether best use of limited scholarships were been made to fill the roster.

Oct 6, 2017, 1:35 PM

But they play different positions. We filled our slot WR spot with Ray Ray. The coaches didn't want to take a scholarship away from other positions to take another WR, which is undoubtedly our deepest position group.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Oct 6, 2017, 1:39 PM

Gotta just love those 'motivation' articles. The simple fact is, Hines had an offer, so long as he committed while the slot was available...same as other players. He wasn't an 'over-sign' candidate, to my knowledge. He can bemoan the lost opportunity, but it's of his doing. Take accountability, Mr. Hines.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did not like the passing out of scholarships to to ex

Oct 6, 2017, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Re: We took Ray Ray over Hines ]

player's sons, strength coach son.. etc. but Dabo has the say so. As long as he keeps winning, he can continue to giving scholarships to the Maverick Morrises, Hunter Renfrows, etc., I will say that he knows a lot more about this than we do. His credibility and livelihood depends on it.

this staff has always used specific numbers for positions

Oct 6, 2017, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: We took Ray Ray over Hines ]

Hines didn't lose out to any defensive scholly player, he lost out to Ray Ray. the staff was actually higher on Ray Ray than they were on Cain, (who both were consensus top 100 players), so, the pecking order had Hines being accepted if Ray Ray went elsewhere because their measurables were equal, but maybe the staff gave Ray Ray the priority because (IMHO only) Ray Ray played better competition and excelled at the same level despite the tougher competition...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this staff has always used specific numbers for positions

Oct 6, 2017, 4:07 PM

Yeah, makes sense on position numbers, but we also gave a now famous walk-on WR a scholarship in August 2015. Not sure at what point it's appropriate to tweak the recruiting numbers a little when the option is a Rivals 100 player that could be kept from a division opponent or ...

Oct 6, 2017, 9:27 PM

Great point. If we knew how good he was and it was between us and NCSU we should have signed him. Say what you want the kid is impressive. Honestly if you take off the orange colored glasses he is probably the starter or getting starter touches at RB this year. And our RBs are good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2017, 9:28 PM

Hindsight is what it is, so obviously, the staff had to make a choice at the slot receiver position. Hines was not the better RB out of Choice, Dye, or Gallman. Our offense requires enough size to be effective in the A Gap and Hines wasn't an RB take, and neither was RRMCIII... matter of fact, RRMCIII was just as explosive in the return game in HS, we just didn't know that his hands were inconsistent, so hindsight is what it is...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2017, 9:50 PM

I wouldn't jump on the Hines bandwagon until after he faces a defense like ours and see what he is capable of. Yes, he showed great skill last night but the L has nowhere near the defense we have.

Replies: 16
| visibility 6,384
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic