Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Now that opposing offenses are figuring out Coach V scheme.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Now that opposing offenses are figuring out Coach V scheme.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:36 AM

Ohio State gave the blue print to beat Coach V. I’d love too discuss how he may adjust to this moving forward?

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Now that opposing defenses are figuring out Coach V.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:41 AM

Sometimes the irony and sarcastic comments on here get me the confuse.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 8:54 AM

Ok here you go. So when Clemson beat OSU 31-0 UM was the coach. Since Unibrow Day has taken over Clemson barely made it out with a win in 2019 and Day had Coach V on his heels looking confused all night in 2020. Like I said, I’d love to discuss how he may adjust as I am sure moving forward opposing teams will use this game film.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if that was true...

Jan 7, 2021, 8:42 AM

most teams don't have the talent to do it even if they knew how.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:44 AM

Better more experienced talent. It's just timing. Big difference between a senior and a freshman or sophomore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there were two blueprints actually. OSU and VT/UVA/ND.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:45 AM

I think OSU used players to run in the plays AND mixed up the tempo. They had been obsessed with Clemson since last year and worked on this plan much like we worked on the small things to help us beat Bama in the 2016 Natty. Most teams won't have the luxury of doing that and BV will find ways to adjust if they do.

Plan 2 is what VT, UVA, and ND did - all had some success in limiting our touches, slowing down the game, and exploiting our defensive personnel weaknesses. Now the good news is, the weaknesses will get shored up between now and next Fall. The bad news is, for those teams who can huddle and control the TOP, they have a blueprint that can work, in certain situations. Worked for ND when we were playing our 2nd & 3rd strings. In the ACCCG, not so much. ND even tried it against Bama and kept the score semi-respectable by doing so. On a day when we're off, it can give some teams a chance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: there were two blueprints actually. OSU and VT/UVA/ND.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:35 AM

You forgot Syracuse. Babers was the first coach I remember to somehow play too fast for Venables. We couldn’t keep up the scoring because that’s the game where Kelly Bryant had a concussion from a tackle and coaches let Zerrick Cooper throw the ball to no one. Weird game.

Any team that can hold our D line and throw the ball 60 yards downfield to open receivers will always be tough to beat.

Go Tigers!

Jan 7, 2021, 8:48 AM

The key is to have your DC’s leave every 2-4 years. It keeps ones opponents guessing. It also keeps ones own players guessing too. I wouldn’t leave a $2M job either for a HC position; the headache doesn’t seem worth it.

Jan 7, 2021, 1:23 PM

Well to be fair Bamas D is nowhere near where it was in 2015-2016. It’s hot Garbage this season. Bama has turned to be more like OK and rely on Elite offense to win. Which is working to their credit. In this era of football we are going into defense will be “just make the other team punt 3 times and we win. Scores in the 40s will be the norm.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Now that opposing defenses are figuring out Coach V. ]

Poor, little ole Bama. Whatever would a new DC do with #1 recruiting class after #1 recruiting class after #1 recruiting class of talent?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jan 10, 2021, 4:19 PM

Poor, little ole Bama. Whatever would a new DC do with #1 recruiting class after #1 recruiting class after #1 recruiting class of talent?

It's no different than in your place of work. Different managers, supervisors etc. new to the company are not seamless. #1 recruiting is makes Bama an attractive place for OC's & DC's but it doesn't mean a NC when they show up. Losing these top guys kill continuity. TexAss is in for a rude awakening with Sark and Sark is in a rude awakening as well. Clemson raids TX for players just as much as any other successful FBS program so a TU coach can't simply roll in and put up a wall.

Jan 7, 2021, 8:55 AM

I guess we will have to switch to a Hurry Up/No Huddle defense

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you mean opposing offenses?***

Jan 7, 2021, 9:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you mean opposing offenses?***

Jan 7, 2021, 9:13 AM

Yes I did, my apologies for the typo!

Can you edit it ? I think you can as a military member.***

Jan 7, 2021, 9:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

There is a reason Coach V gets paid more than me.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:10 AM

Like you, see an issue but not enough expertise to offer a good solution.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a reason Coach V gets paid more than me.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:14 AM

No expert here either!

Not sure if serious?

Jan 7, 2021, 9:17 AM

BV has been our DC for 9 seasons! You think they just “figured him out”? Sometimes good DCs get beat by a good game plan, top notch athletes playing lights-out and a bad day for his guys.

Did Notre Dame figure him out in the regular season? Because in the rematch he kept them out of the end zone until garbage time.

I don’t object to a healthy discussion about the defense’s struggles against the Buckeyes, but this Sky is Falling nonsense is ridiculous. BV is still the best in the business. Sometimes the best lose.

null

Re: Not sure if serious?

Jan 7, 2021, 9:22 AM

Lol, never said the sky is falling. Just a discussion which most on here are incapable of having!

About once a year, someone shows up with a game plan that

Jan 7, 2021, 9:20 AM

fools BV. (See Pitt 2016 - SC 2018)

OSU scored 23 last year - that's not too shabby

LSU scored 50 on everybody last year

Hats off to Day - they had one of those game plans. The same one won't work on BV again...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think defense is the issue........

Jan 7, 2021, 10:10 AM

yes, tweaks can be made, but our offense scored 25 vs a mediocre at best LSU defense last year and 28 on a mediocre Ohio State defense.

I don't know - 11 passing TDs in 2 games seems a bit much

Jan 7, 2021, 1:24 PM

to say "defense is not the issue". Granted the O's inability to stay on the field I'm sure gassed the D.

I've wondered if we had enough plays scripted to get us through the early part of the game against OSU - and then we struggled after that since it was Streeter's first time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oh, it's not perfect, BUT you have to consider the era......

Jan 7, 2021, 2:14 PM

in which we're talking about.

in today's college football world it's ALL ABOUT OFFENSE.

4 of the last 6 national champions have scored 42+ points.........5 of 6 have scored 35+.....it's the world we live in.

in the last 2 playoff games I wasn't shocked at all about our defense giving up 42+ (it's ohio state & LSU, that's what they do), HOWEVER I was baffled and disappointed at the fact that OUR OFFENSE only managed 25 & 28 against 2 mediocre at best defenses.

yes, the defense must make some improvements, no question, but the offense has been the bigger let down the last 2 playoff games.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:26 AM

welp, he adjusts based on what he has returning and their strengths. the "blueprint" you refer to is to go against tendencies and have really good players in the trenches and skill positions. so it would seem in those cases you can't be as aggressive and rely more on your DL. I'm not paid millions of dollars but he is and I am fairly certain he will figure it out.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:43 AM

Great input and I agree he will get it figured out no doubt.

The man is a genius and has forgotten more than I will ever know! Just a debate on how he may adjust!

Jan 7, 2021, 10:45 AM

Ok ok. I honestly didnt know if you were trolling the doomsdayers here or not. First thing I would say is there is no single “blue print” to beating Coach V or Clemson. Coach V has been a top defensive coordinator in this country for many years going all the way back to Okrahomer. If other coaches had a blueprint to beating him we would not be two time natty winners in the last five years. And BV would not have a job.

I do agree he will make adjustments to his scheme and learn from that butt whoopin. He is a master of his craft and when he lost the power rangers what he did by switching to a 3-4 defense to work with the talent he had after that attrition and still be able to finish a top ranked defense in the country was grand master jedi status.

This game was an anomaly. Plain and simple. Ever now and then(very rarely) Coach V gets out witted. Ryan Ghey and his staff had been studying for over a year on how to beat Clemson. They knew the rematch would happen whether in the playoff or the Natty. They prepared all year and all season for Clemson. Hats off to them. They put in their time and research and it paid off.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I honestly think talent and execution won the game with OSU.

Jan 7, 2021, 9:34 AM

In all honesty, our DB's were not as stout and did lack some experience. Our Dline was young but extremely talented. LB's also had a lack of depth but they are also young. I think we started three true freshmen and not sure how many first year starters.

I think we'll be fine and he'll continue to be one of or the best in the business. Next year, the defense will be better.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 9:36 AM

A large part of his adjustment will be seeing our young and talented DL gain more experience. Another adjustment will be figuring out our issues in the secondary. I think we have some talented guys back there, but we saw them playing out of position in several key moments against Ohio State, and at other times during the season. I think our young guys on defense struggled in knowing their assignments whenever we didn't have our leaders in Skalski and Turner out there. Having more experienced guys out on the field will do wonders in fixing some of the issues we saw.

i believe that the best way to improve

Jan 7, 2021, 10:37 AM

The defense is to have GREAT leadership on the field to keep all the players immediately aware of what the opponent is doing. No one was better at that than Wilkins. I’m sure that coach V will find a player who he can rely on to fill this spot. As I have said numerous times, Spring ball is where these improvements begin. Let’s hope we have a full spring with a great game in the valley to begin another championship season

Jan 7, 2021, 10:58 AM

I’m not ready to subject myself to a re-watch of that debacle ...but if you really want to know how BV might adjust ...watch the second half again ....

35 points in the first half 14 in the second ....

You could argue that OSU took their foot off the gas, but really they didn’t until pretty late in the game ...

Kudos to Ryan Day really ... I think he’s a jerk, but he’s not an idiot ...

- OSU played a short/easy schedule.. they didn’t need to show their playbook for most of the season.... BV didn’t have much good film to scout..
- As evidenced by comments made and what happened on the field OSU clearly spent a lot of time during the past year scheming specifically to beat BV... that’s not cheating ..it’s just smart ..it’s also interesting to note that OSU was certain we’d be in the CFP again (a credit to our consistency)...a lot of the scheming was to break tendencies (helped by the fact they didn’t need to show much offense all season)..
- Lots went wrong in the game for Clemson and lots went right for OSU.. not by shear luck of course ...
- OSU is one of the most talented teams in the country ..not many are as talented top to bottom..
- I say all that to say ....few teams will be able to duplicate what OSU did ...probably no one we play in the regular season (including UGA next season)

BV will be ready though...

Jan 7, 2021, 10:59 AM

Ohio State gave the blue print to beat Coach V. I’d love too discuss how he may adjust to this moving forward?

I remember the same thing being said about Alabama when Venables and Clemson held the Crimson Tide to 16 points in the CFP title game.

Better yet, Ususck did the same thing that 1-4 St did. They ran the quick snap offense and torched Clemson's secondary something awful.

Day got the better of that matchup, but to think Venables has been exposed to the point that he isn't a great defensive coordinator, would be asinine.

Re: Now that opposing offenses are figuring out Coach V scheme.

Jan 7, 2021, 1:00 PM

Good discussion. Think ALT came the closest, although I'd add a couple more teams. It was exposed all year but we weren't facing elite QB or WR. Several games the WR or TE was wide open and the QB either missed the throw high, or missed the read.

Tayq- don't think it's a CBV scheme problem. Remember when Nolan got targeted in ND and BV fell over backwards? He knew. But as good as Nolan is, he's not an elite safety. Last year Isaiah covered our butts big time. We didn't have that this year.

Even Nolan admitted that he and guys were out of position all night through no fault of scheme. We just weren't covering the grass patches we should have. Unfortunately, we don't have this year the raw athletes to mask it.

2. The corners lost leverage on two TD passes. Still, DK could and should have made the play on one of them but whiffed. It happens.

3. OSU may have the best oline in cfb. Recruited at an unbelievable level. Their worst is about our best... No way to sugar coat it. Myles knew but he was only one . he said osu line spread them out and moved the line. He said it confused Clemson dline enough for an elite passer to wait for route to open. Said they were confused whether to push the rush or hold gap integrity.

To further that, many on here have rightly pointed out our recruiting fell in 17, 18. Yeah, rank was good but misses on I and d line. Kudos as others said, CBV is the master and gold standard. I'll always say the 19 osu win was the best coaching and win in Clemson FB.

Where to go from here. I'd suggest you read David hales latest... Created a lot of butthurt and bitterness on the tnet and I do agree it was a bit melodramatic, but the theme and analysis was actually pretty sound.

Hth - even though this will get TD and prob a coot, idc. I just love my tigers and yeah, I want us to be better than uga, OSU, and Bama. Whether girls softball, men's golf or recruiting.

CG- Pennsylvania

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 1:11 PM

1) It takes a great line, great receivers and a great QB to beat BV. And with the Power Rangers 2018 D, it took more than that.

2) BV has some experience, personnel, speed, practice and technique issues to resolve. But there is no one more qualified. He’s our top coach, and 2021 D will be improved at line, LB and secondary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 7, 2021, 1:40 PM

OSU did their quick huddle and got to the line quickly in the first half, we couldn’t get lined up. Then we got a big stop and Skalski got the targeting, double whammy. I knew it was over because Skalski was already struggling to adjust to OSU scheme, so we became more vanilla.

That was the 21 point second quarter that was the difference in the game. We tied in every other quarter.

Yet somehow we came out in the second half and held them. Yes a couple big plays but we had to take risks and put corners on islands. Was disappointed in Kendrick, he was getting torched. I was looking at him as a future all pro DB potentially.

Our D will be fine next season. Maybe get OSU round 3.

You mean that --- we NEVER COVER the Tight End ????

Jan 7, 2021, 1:47 PM

doesn't everyone know that ???????????????????

null

The players didn’t execute his scheme very well***

Jan 7, 2021, 1:56 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t think anyone is “figuring it out”

Jan 7, 2021, 2:40 PM

First - last year IMO - Coach V did a heroic job with the talent we had. D Line was weak, D ends not crazy good. Simmons solved a bunch of problems. The talent last year was below the prior years, and he went to 3 down linemen, IMO because we did not have quality and depth.

This year was more of the same. Dependent on freshmen.
D Ends not getting to the QB. When these groups don’t press the QB - it exposes the D backs. Same thing for not stopping the run. Our Outside LB have not been great cover people.

Personally, I think we need to stop the run. I would love to go back to primarily a 4-3 def. attack the QB. The line should have more depth next year. A defensive end or two needs to step up. I always hoped XT would be that person.

There is a huge difference between other teams figuring something out - and other teams having more talent. At the least, we need to match them in talent and let our offense win games.

Just my opinion anyway.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jayzus people! It's one game. He got out coached. It happens

Jan 7, 2021, 8:48 PM

to the best sometimes. We're fine! You ladies are killing me with your panic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic