Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Say what you want about the men's hoops team...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Say what you want about the men's hoops team...

Mar 11, 2020, 12:58 PM

and Coach Brownell, but at the end of the day, the biggest most glaring issue is this team simply can't shoot or rebound worth a $#!7 !!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Now ABOUT that point . . .

Mar 11, 2020, 1:17 PM

It blows my mind how a team that is so inconsistent, at best, in shooting from the field, is so seemingly inattentive to rebounding efforts - not just ACTUAL rebounds (trying but getting beat out), but even inattentive to efforts. So often, even whilst in a pretty bad shooting drought, there will be no Tigers attempting to get near the basket (or that mid-range where balls bounce), after the shot is launched. Now, I can understand why a great shooting team might get presumptuous and think they don't need to position themselves for rebounds, but why in the heck would a so-so or bad shooting team regularly act as if being positioned for a rebound is an afterthought? What gives?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is absolutely coaching !!!!***

Mar 11, 2020, 1:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Now ABOUT that point . . .

Mar 11, 2020, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Now ABOUT that point . . . ]

They are coached to flee backwards to prevent fast breaks. I do not agree with that approach.

Mar 11, 2020, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Now ABOUT that point . . . ]

I get your point, but I’m just going to trust Brownell on this one. I think he’s a good coach and apparently people around the game think he is too.

That point aside, it is very obvious that our team is undersized. We are not going to get many offensive rebounds anyways. Our center is 6’8, our next tallest player in our starting lineup is 6’6. We are an incredibly small team, and possibly the smallest team of the last 30 years.

Also, I can’t remember which game it was but Simms crashed the boards and the team got the rebound and passed it down court for an immediate layup. The camera panned to Brownell, and he was screaming at Simms. It was wild how quickly they threw it down the court. I wish I could remember the game.

But I agree that it’s beyond frustrating when we brick a 3 and we could have easily gotten the rebound if the shooter followed their shot.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2020, 7:39 PM

Does anyone remember which game that was?

I remember it caught my eye because it was so rare to see aamir crash the boards. And they got the rebound and had a layup in about 2 seconds.

And then Brownell chewing him out.

Mar 11, 2020, 7:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Now ABOUT that point . . . ]

I remember it caught my eye because it was so rare to see aamir crash the boards. And they got the rebound and had a layup in about 2 seconds.

Mar 11, 2020, 7:57 PM

Come again?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Say what you want about the men's hoops team...

Mar 11, 2020, 1:20 PM

It is hard to rebound when all 5 players are at least 15 feet from the basket at all times. There would have to be an abundance of long rebounds to be successful with this strategy!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2020, 1:23 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying. I've taken so much heat for this but everyone has quickly forgotten about McDaniels or Blossomgame swooping In for put backs and how much that helped when we were in drouts back then

I partly disagree . . .

Mar 11, 2020, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Say what you want about the men's hoops team... ]

Strictly speaking you are right - it's hard to rebound that way. And I don't disagree that that is a weak point in the strategy that should be re-considered.

That being said, **even if** the players are on the outside like that, the key is for them to be attentive and start moving towards the inside when a ball is shot - so that by the time the ball bounces off the rim/glass, etc, they'll have a fighting chance - at least in some cases, to be in position to grab it. But so often, our players don't react at all until the ball has missed, and by then it's too late.

Mar 11, 2020, 1:21 PM

Ken Hatfield was a great coach...it was just his teams couldn't score, block or tackle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2020, 1:40 PM

Not true. The Tigers went 32-13-1 under Hatfield, made three bowls when there were fewer bowl games, and ended up ranked three times in four years. I think they could score, block and tackle a bit. His successor's Tigers more aptly fit your description.

Amen, brother . . .

Mar 11, 2020, 1:47 PM

Why does Hatfield get all the crap from everyone when clearly Tommy West was by far the worst Clemson coach since Hootie Ingram or Red Parker.

Because West is a good ‘ol boy and coached under Ford.

Mar 11, 2020, 8:05 PM

Hatfield was an “outsider” who replaced Ford.

Many fans couldn’t get over their childish butthurt from Ford being gone to give Hatfield a chance. Some still aren’t over it, 30 years later.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Hatfield followed a legend...

Mar 11, 2020, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Amen, brother . . . ]

and he had 10, 9, 5, & 8 wins in his four seasons. A downward trend when compared to Ford’s 8, 10, 10, & 10 in his last four years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic