Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,520

Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU

Dec 30, 2020, 12:01 PM

I see a lot of similar strengths and attributes..

- o line
- d line
- focused on running the ball
- QB that likes to make plays and extend plays with his feet

OSU has better athletes but Notre Dame is a better team...

I feel like a lot of things that worked well against ND will serve us well against OSU...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU

Dec 30, 2020, 12:07 PM

And both programs just haven't been much since like 1974.

Dec 30, 2020, 12:31 PM

Yet both Clemson and Ohio State have two national championships in the modern era...stop comparing Ohio State to ND.

Dec 30, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU ]

twill said:

Except Ohio State has a much better record since 1974 than both Notre Dame and Clemson. With 2 titles. Keep trying

Hey Buckeyejustvisiting...

Dec 30, 2020, 1:10 PM

How about BuckeyejustSTFU?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2020, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU ]

twill said:

Except Ohio State has a much better record since 1974 than both Notre Dame and Clemson. With 2 titles. Keep trying

Dec 30, 2020, 12:08 PM

Haven’t thought of it like that but I believe you are absolutely correct. Plus, I think Ian may be better at making something out of nothing than Justin. I’m trying my best not to get overconfident but part of me really thinks this may be a 42-13 type of game with DJ getting reps at the end.

Dec 30, 2020, 12:14 PM

CU51996 said:

- o line
- d line

I feel like a lot of things that worked well against ND will serve us well against OSU...

+1 I agree 100% with your assessment. I think ND is (this year ) better on the OL than is O Cry O St. is. A veteran group for ND who has seen a bunch; not as veteran a group at O Cry O St. Advantage ND in that category.
I would give the ND RB Williams a slight advantage over Sermon and Teague as well.

I'll just say it: If they were to play Friday(ND and OSU) I think Notre Dame wins. Ohio State has better raw talent - but exactly what you said - ND is the better team! They have gelled better and aren't afraid of getting physical if needed. Notre Dame is the more physical of the two from what I have seen as well.

CB and WR speed goes to the Buckeyes - but it all starts on the line of scrimmage where I give the advantage to ND.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2020, 12:31 PM

Another similarity I failed to note...
Both programs put in significant time in the offseason to game-plan for Clemson..

ND did because we were on the schedule and OSU did because they’re obsessed with Clemson...

Expect some of the wrinkles that worked for ND to show up in the OSU game-plan....BV will be ready though ...

Dec 30, 2020, 12:30 PM

Where are you getting that Ohio State's focus has been to run the ball? The run game in Columbus was literally non existent until we played Michigan State, and it only existed then because we were missing 22 players. That's probably a decent reason why NW played predominantely Nickely and Dime against us and kept it an even 5 on 5 for most of the game in the box.

The offense is an offense based on RPO and a ton of zone plays. However, it's been the passing game that has carried us most of the year...although it left the building last week.

We do play a ton of 12 man, but that gives us the ability to put Jeremy Ruckert on the field with a blocking TE. Ruckert was a 5* TE and the #1 TE in the country, however TE's go to Ohio State to die honestly. Out of that 12 man I'd say we roll out of the pocket and pass just as much as we utilize the extra blocker to stretch the front line and run though.

I'd say we're not like ND at all actually. I'd also tell you to put the crack pipe down if you think ND is a better "team". We wouldn't now, and never have struggled with ND. They're good, no doubt, but they wouldn't have won the B1G.

Dec 30, 2020, 12:47 PM

fentastic said:

Where are you getting that Ohio State's focus has been to run the ball? The run game in Columbus was literally non existent until we played Michigan State, and it only existed then because we were missing 22 players. That's probably a decent reason why NW played predominantely Nickely and Dime against us and kept it an even 5 on 5 for most of the game in the box.

The offense is an offense based on RPO and a ton of zone plays. However, it's been the passing game that has carried us most of the year...although it left the building last week.

We do play a ton of 12 man, but that gives us the ability to put Jeremy Ruckert on the field with a blocking TE. Ruckert was a 5* TE and the #1 TE in the country, however TE's go to Ohio State to die honestly. Out of that 12 man I'd say we roll out of the pocket and pass just as much as we utilize the extra blocker to stretch the front line and run though.

I'd say we're not like ND at all actually. I'd also tell you to put the crack pipe down if you think ND is a better "team". We wouldn't now, and never have struggled with ND. They're good, no doubt, but they wouldn't have won the B1G.

Hmm ...
So your 42nd ranked passing offense is a point of focus and not your 5th ranked rushing offense?
Well ok -if you say so ...
Admittedly it’s a fairly small sample size to draw much conclusions from...
I suppose that’s your point ... don’t read much into the stats since you guys only played three games this year .... point well taken ...

Dec 30, 2020, 12:55 PM

It’s funny you dismiss ND so easily...
I suppose based on your 4-2 all time record against ND ....

That’s nice ....not 4-0 but nice nonetheless....

So how do you suppose we should view Ohio State??

Dec 30, 2020, 1:08 PM

Man, I wish I knew honestly. I honestly have zero idea what team shows up. Is it the team early that had a dynamic passing game, or the team late who couldn't pass but managed to have a guy break Ohio States single game record for rushing...or is it somewhere in between. Or...is it closer to 2016 when we got in based on our name and TV ratings generated, and we sh*t the bed on national tv? I honestly don't have a read.

Here's what I know though. Our offensive line is excellent in run blocking schemes. Our struggle running the football had nothing to do with their ability, and as a former O-Lineman I can't even believe I'm typing it, but it's true. Teague (achilles) and Sermon (MCL,LCL,Meniscus) both came in this year off of severe injuries. Neither of them had a spring, in fact spring practice in Columbus last 1.5 days before it was called off. The whole college football world knows how badly Kevin Warren and the B1G botched the season, but yeah, it wasn't good for us. On top of that, our conference had the strictest COVID protocol and it's not close. We've had well over 60 kids either test positive or get quarantined for contact tracing, which means 60 players had to sit in their apartments for 21 days and weren't allowed to elevate their heart rates, so no workouts whatsoever.
We haven't seen this team gel, play together, or mesh in almost any aspect, and just being honest, to have the expectation that they'll somehow do it against Clemson isn't very realistic.

So, I'm not sure man, I don't bet, but if I did, I may take Clemson to cover.

Dec 30, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Notre Dame - great team to play immediately before OSU ]

You're right, small sample size...that's a fair point. Through the first 5 games, both Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson we're averaging over 100 yds per game each. Granted, it's not 400 yds per game, but they have been our bell cows most of the season, and we've used teams adjusting to our passing game to try and get the run game going. If you look solely at stats you only see half the picture, much like Etienne. Yet, I know in my opinion Travis Etienne is the best RB in the country both receiving out of the backfield, and running. He reminds me a lot of Saquon, only he manages to stay healthy.

Dec 30, 2020, 12:53 PM

CU51996 said:

- o line
- d line

Notre Dame is not better than Ohio State.

Dec 30, 2020, 1:02 PM

You have more talent as I stated ....not sure you’re the better team..,not like you’ll play them this season though ...so we’ll never know...

CU51996 said:

- o line
- d line

Notre Dame is not better than Ohio State.

Dec 30, 2020, 1:13 PM

Thought this post was going to be about whiney coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 30, 2020, 1:28 PM

“Here's what I know though. Our offensive line is excellent in run blocking schemes. “

Ok - now you’re agreeing with me ....

I think NDs o-line was a significant strength for them... same can be said for OSU o-line ....

So back to my original point...running game focus...

Sure it’s an rpo scheme but nonetheless running game is your strength...

Dec 30, 2020, 1:40 PM

Right, our O-Line does block well, but read the rest of my post. Early on, we were so bad at it, we didn't do it. Hell, we had the ball deep in the red zone against NW and threw the ball until Sermon took off.
On premise you're right, we're designed to be a Power Run team, but we've struggled which has forced the pass.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,520
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic