Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Noticed Dabo & Trevor using neck fleece aka Gaiters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,666

Noticed Dabo & Trevor using neck fleece aka Gaiters

Aug 11, 2020, 9:28 AM

And I know Clemson is a 'due diligence' type of program. But someone may want to make Dabo aware a new study from Duke - just last week so its new and news to all of us ok? - that neck fleece is not effective at stopping spread. In fact, it seems to do more harm than good. Not only does the stretchy material NOT stop the droplets, it separates the droplets into smaller and more easily transportable droplets. The original study (link below) is being reposted by various news agencies now.

And no - I'm not trying to be that guy as I have occasionally used a gaiter since March as well. And I'm kind bummed that its not really a viable option. At least this study shows its not.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Noticed Dabo & Trevor using neck fleece aka Gaiters

Aug 11, 2020, 9:36 AM

You beat me to it, and that is correct, and it's no better than the bandanna being worn cowboy style. But the cowboy's on cattle drives thought they worked keeping the dust out of their nostrils and throat, and they probably did to an extent....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The cowboys only used them when they were

Aug 11, 2020, 9:43 AM

robbing the Stagecoach!!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2020, 9:41 AM

I would say that the type of mask is irrelevant for the majority of folks as not many actually wear them properly. Additionally you see so many take it out of back pocket walking in to stores and put them on. Wearing a mask with a beard not very effective either. So all in all it’s a sneeze catcher and that’s about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2020, 9:47 AM

Some I have seen have been super thin and not as thick as a 2 or 3 layer cloth mask. I really don't get how the shields help either that are open around the sides. Guess it's better than nothing however if you cough or sneeze. Can't stand anything around my neck so I will stick with the mask.

Aug 11, 2020, 9:56 AM

The study I saw (not this one) said that shields are only effective when used in conjunction with a mask. If I find that report/article again, I'll post that link too.

Aug 11, 2020, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Re: Noticed Dabo & Trevor using neck fleece aka Gaiters ]

I think that a 3 layer mask and the shield is about the safest thing we could do with the exception of staying home and not allowing anybody in!!! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2020, 10:31 AM

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/disaster-medicine-and-public-health-preparedness/article/testing-the-efficacy-of-homemade-masks-would-they-protect-in-an-influenza-pandemic/0921A05A69A9419C862FA2F35F819D55/core-reader

Improvised cloth masks are mostly useless too.

Aug 11, 2020, 11:14 AM

The Cambridge study appears to be from 2013 regarding "inbound" protection for the wearer from taking in viral and bacterial aerosols. The Duke study is to determine efficiencies of various mask blocking or reducing 'outbound' droplets from the wearer to infect those around them.

The current mask policies & mandates are to protect others - not the person wearing the mask.

Aug 11, 2020, 3:25 PM

I think I would wait on corroborating studies before rendering a verdict.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,666
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic