Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mike Jones- spy on Ian Book?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,947

Mike Jones- spy on Ian Book?

Dec 7, 2020, 12:50 PM

- Do we put a spy on Book?
- Is Mike Jones that guy? If not - who?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mike Jones- spy on Ian Book?

Dec 7, 2020, 1:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 1:02 PM

Regardless, need pressure on every down from different places. Could use MJ or Zanders or Simpson as spy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2020, 1:05 PM

I sure do like Bentley's closing speed on the quarterback. If he's on the field, I'd assign him to Book.

Dec 7, 2020, 1:29 PM

42 needs to hit him and hit him often. Vonta hits hard.

Dec 7, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Mike Jones- spy on Ian Book? ]

Book is much faster than Vonta Bentley.

Dec 7, 2020, 1:05 PM

Possibly Zanders...

Dec 7, 2020, 2:45 PM

Zanders possibly. Don't know what Book's 40 time is but game-speed he outruns those guys. He isn't Lamar Jackson fast but he's pretty darn fast. Can't recall if it was Book or Pitt's QB (maybe both) but I do recall at least one of them walking off and leaving Simpson.

No. Too predictable. If every one is healthy, we should be

Dec 7, 2020, 1:09 PM

able to slow their running game more and get better pressure on the QB in passing downs with a healthy four man front. That should free up our linebackers to run and tackle better. Having Davis, Skalski and Jones back will give us much better functional depth than we had the first game. We got worn down. Don't see that happening this game. Plus, Skalski is more athletic than Venables(who missed a couple of tackles on Book when his dad had him in position to make the play. He just couldn't turns his hips and make the tackle) and Jones is great in covering tight ends plus he gives us more speed at the position.

Against Pitt, when we were healthy, we ran a lot of fronts with different combinations of tackles, ends and backers, especially in passing situations with ends playing down and such. Trenton Simpson was used often as a pass rushing defensive end, getting more speed on the field. That may have been Venables testing out some strategies for ND.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No. Too predictable. If every one is healthy, we should be

Dec 7, 2020, 1:34 PM

This is the correct answer.

Venables in the past has chosen to use a spy on certain plays but have never done it for an entire game.

Forming a gameplan around using a spy every play costs you a defender and pigeon holes lots of exotic blitzes and movement patterns you can use with your LBs.

Venables likes variation in his gameplans.

Not sure about a spy

Dec 7, 2020, 6:24 PM

A better solution might be to have the DTs focus on controlling, collapsing and containing the pockets on pass plays instead of just firing off the ball and beating their man for a sack.

Whenever they go with a three-man D-line, a spy is obviously necessary.

Re: Not sure about a spy

Dec 7, 2020, 6:28 PM

This ^^^ and then make sure to cover their TEs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure about a spy***

Dec 7, 2020, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Not sure about a spy ]

Dec 7, 2020, 7:15 PM

Don’t let Book step up in the pocket. Wouldn’t a 4 man front keep him penned in from the center and the sides? Pressure but don’t over pursue. I saw so much rushing past him and out of the play altogether. That’s been true in multiple games I’ve watched with Book stepping up and then taking off or passing on the run. Build a defensive front wall and get their hands up. Book is not tall so block his vision and make it harder for him to pass from the pocket accurately. Going after him with LBs didn’t work last time due to excellent support from the RB, but this time with Davis I think they can get more disruptive against a backup center.

Dec 7, 2020, 7:34 PM

smillsap1 said:

Don’t let Book step up in the pocket. Wouldn’t a 4 man front keep him penned in from the center and the sides? Pressure but don’t over pursue. I saw so much rushing past him and out of the play altogether. That’s been true in multiple games I’ve watched with Book stepping up and then taking off or passing on the run. Build a defensive front wall and get their hands up. Book is not tall so block his vision and make it harder for him to pass from the pocket accurately. Going after him with LBs didn’t work last time due to excellent support from the RB, but this time with Davis I think they can get more disruptive against a backup center.

Agreed, Book had way too much open space in front of him. Dline has to stick to their gaps and not try to do too much. He is going to get some yards rushing, but we have to limit it. We did a way better job with Kenny Pickett.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,947
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic