Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Citadel is Beating Clemson??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

The Citadel is Beating Clemson??

Jul 24, 2020, 11:31 AM

The Citadel makes annoucement to comply with a state law mandating that all colleges require students complete a class on the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the Federalist Papers.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/07/21/citadel-will-require-all-cadets-to-study-constitution/

According to the article, USC and Clemson are violating the law by not requiring a class on the Constitution.

On the other hand it says Coastal Carolina, Francis Marion, and Lander University all require the class.

Thoughts about our Tigers?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Citadel is Beating Clemson??

Jul 24, 2020, 11:34 AM

Someone has us confused with the chickens. On the field is all that matters, and we've eaten The Citadel's lunch every time. Never close, they get massacred by us in order to fund their program.

USCjr? Not so much...

https://youtu.be/ShQ4R3It5g0

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is a slippery slope

Jul 24, 2020, 11:36 AM

when you have no way to determine who teaches these subjects.

It's like public prayer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not nearly as

Jul 24, 2020, 11:44 AM

Important as teaching good grammar!

Re: Not nearly as

Jul 24, 2020, 11:45 AM

Politics and religion should not be taught anywhere

Jul 24, 2020, 11:49 AM

Is teaching college students about the Constitution political?

Jul 24, 2020, 11:57 AM

Is teaching college students about the Constitution political?

That's actually a very good question. I suppose it can be, given how and why it's delivered. On the other hand, there are far too many people who simply don't understand that the Constitution protects everyone, not just them. "My rights" is actually everyone's rights. Many don't seem to get that.

Jul 24, 2020, 11:59 AM

Good comment. Thanks for that.

If politics and religion shouldn't be taught anywhere

Jul 24, 2020, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Not nearly as ]

Then where do you go to learn these things.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apparently Clemson makes a weak attempt

Jul 24, 2020, 12:05 PM

Re: Apparently Clemson makes a weak attempt

Jul 24, 2020, 1:35 PM

T3Tiger® said:

My daughter said they had to take some “We the People” class but it was more on par with the anti-drinking classes than the mandated 3 hr requirement.

What? They have "anti-drinking" classes?? In college?

Wow, times they are a-changing.

I hope you daughter is doing well and having a great time in school.

You're older than I thought. :)

My guess would be

Jul 24, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Apparently Clemson makes a weak attempt ]

That 90+% of a persons political and/or religious beliefs are developed in their home life. Most parents would be offended if a teacher or college instructor tried to influence their child’s beliefs. Is this not true?

Re: Apparently Clemson makes a weak attempt

Jul 24, 2020, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Apparently Clemson makes a weak attempt ]

Thanks for this comment. Yes, the state law requires a full class on the Constitution and other founding documents. But Clemson, instead, requires students to watch an internet video like alcohol edu and calls that compliance with the law.

A related article covered that: https://www.dailysignal.com/2020/03/25/clemson-u-works-with-liberal-lawmakers-to-kill-requirement-to-teach-constitution/

They have already studied the Constitution in High School

Jul 24, 2020, 1:45 PM

Why, as a parent, should I pay for them to take it again?? They need to take classes for their degree, graduate, and get a J.O.B.

They don't need gap years, fluff classes... waste of time, graduate and join the rest of us disgruntled tax payers.

This shouldn't be a requirement of a college curriculum.

Jul 24, 2020, 1:52 PM

I'm all for civics being a component of high schools' required curriculum, but not at the college level. Besides, a significant amount of South Carolina's high school students do not go on to college. It is more fitting and more impactful if you devote a semester in high school to these subjects.

null

Re: This shouldn't be a requirement of a college curriculum.

Jul 24, 2020, 2:06 PM

In response to both Injun Tiger and Swarley:

You would have to ask yourself two things:

1) Is a class on the Constitution and how America operates a "fluff" class? I would agree there are some nonsense "fluff" classes out there. I did not percieve the constitution as one in that category.

2) All colleges require all students to take both English and math, even though students take both of those subjects in high school. Why not a class on the U.S. Constitution and American government?

And remember, the topic was that this class is required by the law and Clemson is ignoring the law. Citadel complies with state law. Should Clemson?

Just some food for thought. Thanks to both for comments. Go Tigers!

Jul 24, 2020, 2:16 PM

1) I don't consider it "fluff" except in that it does not directly relate to a chosen field of study, which is fine.

2) My point is not to diminish the value of coursework as described, but to put it in the right place. South Carolina students should all get a hard education in the founding documents and philosophies of our country at the high school level. That should be sufficient and would cover 95% of the population in the state (assuming 5% or so drop out before they took the course), instead of the smaller percentage that attends college.

null

Jul 24, 2020, 2:27 PM

Swarley,

That's a well thought out comment and reasoned opinion. Thanks for that input. It fully addresses that the constitution is not fluff.

But what about colleges requiring English and math again, even though high school already requires those? And then, Clemson requires all students to complete a three-credit-hour class in "cross cultural awareness." I don't think "cross cultural awareness" is related to any student studying a hard science, yet it is a requirement for all students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV5tMC59XGI&

https://www.clemson.edu/academics/advising/documents/Final_2019_5_General%20Education.pdf

Here is my proposal: how about Clemson drop the "cross cultural awareness" required class, and replace it with a class on the Constitution. At least this way, Clemson would be complying with state law... a win win. Go Tigers!

I'm fairly certain that I would consider the

Jul 24, 2020, 3:18 PM

Cross Cultural Awareness class to be a PC BS class that need not be a mandatory part of a general college curriculum. I don't have time for the video but it sounds like nonsense.

"Math" and "English" are standard parts of a curriculum and build substantially on the student's ability to reason, communicate and think. Obviously an understanding of advanced mathematics is required for many courses of study (Engineering, sciences, some finance and accounting, architecture). But even for non-technical degrees, advanced mathematics challenges the brain to develop very valuable thinking skills and analytical skills. English courses should develop the ability to interpret, communicate and persuade. I have no problem with those being components of a well-rounded curriculum, in principle.

null

Re: I'm fairly certain that I would consider the

Jul 24, 2020, 3:39 PM

Good thoughts and well reasoned, Thanks. I still think Clemson should comply with state law and should not break the law (and thus require the constitution class).

I also think Constitution class would be beneficial as taught from a college level (and suspect many would agree). But you make a reasoned argument for your opinion. Go Tigers!

I would argue that at solid class on the Constitution & Bill

Jul 24, 2020, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: This shouldn't be a requirement of a college curriculum. ]

of Rights could properly constitute at "cross cultural awareness" course -- if done right. The astute comment above regarding "my rights" are actually "our rights" finds its source in them there documents. Answering questions like who is "We The People" - who was "We The People" when it was written and where 'I stop' and 'you begin' and where 'we meet' -- these are all critical questions in every era of US history and using the aforementioned documents as a backdrop for that conversation sounds like a great class to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

better yet . how about all elected

Jul 24, 2020, 9:53 PM

officials take a course on the Constitution and pass a test before they can take office?

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic