Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One huge problem with Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

One huge problem with Clemson

Feb 7, 2018, 12:04 PM

If I had a relative being recruited by the Tigers, one that would bother me about the school. And that is nepotism. It makes me wonder if some other deserving young man will not get the opportunity there because the coaches are putting their kids on the team. If they're good enough, allow them to make their own way. Am I wrong in my thinking?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One huge problem with Clemson

Feb 7, 2018, 12:07 PM

Would you rather have Dax or BV for 4 more years?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 12:11 PM

i'll take the BV, please.

Who is Brent Venebles? Sports for $1000 please!***

Feb 7, 2018, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: One huge problem with Clemson ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 9, 2018, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: One huge problem with Clemson ]

Swinney's kids are PWO, they aren't just given a scholly they have to earn it, second Jake V has been coaches but his dad one of the best d coordinators in the country I'm sure his football IQ and technique are far above other kids his age. No doubt in my mind Jake will contribute on the field for Clemson. Plus it helps keep coach V at clemson for 3-4 more years which is worth a 5 star or 2 imho. Jake also had offers from other D1 schools like LSU so he is good enough to be a tiger without his dad's help.

Feb 7, 2018, 12:08 PM

Are you kidding? That happens everywhere. Family, friends, legacy.....happens everywhere.

Hello Coot. Don't go away mad. Just go away. Another

Feb 7, 2018, 12:08 PM

National Championship appearance for us probably next year. Clearly the Coaches have no idea what they are doing.

Re: Hello Coot. Don't go away mad. Just go away. Another

Feb 7, 2018, 12:13 PM

Hey the Cougs are having a nice year so far huh?!

Re: Hello Coot. Don't go away mad. Just go away. Another

Feb 7, 2018, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Hello Coot. Don't go away mad. Just go away. Another ]

Sir, you are very likely correct!

Feb 7, 2018, 12:09 PM

It is difficult for me to criticize success and stability at Clemson football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

while I don't think this is a serious post

I'll still answer and say Dabo winning 3 straight acc titles and a national title says it's not a "huge problem"

Yeah you're wrong in your thinking. If you didn't go to Clemson you won't understand this as well as those who did. Family is at the forefront of everything. And it's a walk on spot for most of the kids outside of Venables who will be a contributor

Feb 7, 2018, 12:21 PM

TIgerpride16 nailed it. 100% correct.

OP - consider this... If family is what Clemson is about and the culture Dabo and the coaches have created, what better way to reinforce that than have family members on the team, (almost entirely as walk-ons) so when other players receive similar treatment in practice, games, it resonates as genuine and not just some buzz word. Recruits are choosing other schools because we are absolutely loaded with talent right now and those kids just want to play. Mostly the same reason why some other Clemson players are transferring out. Our coaching staff may not be perfect but they run a great program and are genuine to who they are. If there was nepotism at Clemson, Ferrell, Wilkins and Bryant would be long gone.

Feb 7, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Re: One huge problem with Clemson ]

Yeah you're wrong in your thinking. If you didn't go to Clemson you won't understand this as well as those who did. Family is at the forefront of everything. And it's a walk on spot for most of the kids outside of Venables who will be a contributor

Maybe you are correct, but from the outside looking in, from a recruit, it may cause one to pause.

Swing and a miss!***

Feb 9, 2018, 9:57 AM

Feb 7, 2018, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: One huge problem with Clemson ]

Derp POTD

..you just can't understand if you didn't attend .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Feb 19, 2018, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: One huge problem with Clemson ]

My legacy of eight alums didn't help my kid with the admissions committee despite lesser qualified classmates making it.

Maybe it depends on who's in your family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, you're wrong. A preferred walk on position costs...

Feb 7, 2018, 12:10 PM

nothing. Jake Venables is the real deal. You create a culture by having young men who were raised on Clemson on the team as well as the 4 and 5 stars from out of state. If you want a mishmash of guys with no tie to the University, go root for Alabama.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

The difference...

Feb 7, 2018, 12:18 PM

between a preferred walk-on versus someone who simply walks-on is that the preferred is guaranteed a spot on the 105 man roster while other walk-ons will have to go through tryouts to see if they can earn a spot on the roster.

In addition, a preferred walk-on is in a better position to possibly earn a scholarship but that normally isn't a consideration until at least the player’s junior year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

You may be right in the case of Hollifield, but in general

Feb 7, 2018, 12:12 PM

there is really nothing else to validate your assumption.

Right now, the only "coaches kid" who has received a full scholarship is Jake Venables and only time will tell if Dax Hollifield is any better than Jake.

One thing we know is that Jake is "All In" and Dax (and his dad) obviously were not with the things they said and did regarding their view of Clemson.

As for the other coaches kids, I have absolutely no problem with "prefered walk-on" status for any of them.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo takes several legacy recruits as well...

Feb 7, 2018, 12:22 PM

The Davis twins, Brian Dawkins Jr., and Amir Trapp immediately come to mind.

Just my .02 cents, but far too many for my liking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo takes several legacy recruits as well...

Feb 7, 2018, 12:32 PM

If he takes 4 out of 85 I have no issue with that, not enough to make a difference.

It sure is...

Feb 7, 2018, 2:48 PM

because it impacts depth

Players 80-85 do not in any way, shape, or form impact our

Feb 7, 2018, 3:01 PM

depth.

On a 2-deep for both sides that's 44 players, add in special teamers and you've got at max 50. So the few legacy guys we have aren't going to impact depth when we've got 25-30 other players that were not legacy recruits.

To be fair, the Davis twins are impacting depth...

Feb 7, 2018, 3:14 PM

by PLAYING.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To be fair, the Davis twins are impacting depth...

Feb 7, 2018, 9:02 PM

JD had several good stops in the Sugar bowl.

Re: To be fair, the Davis twins are impacting depth...

Feb 9, 2018, 10:07 AM [ in reply to To be fair, the Davis twins are impacting depth... ]

That's true, and Amir Trapp transferred, I was just stating that most legacy recruits that do not play do not impact depth because they're on the bottom end of the 85 scholarship players.

If we can get a legacy recruit that can contribute, a la the Davis twins, then by all means we should sign them because that should be the easiest recruiting job the coaches will have. We get solid talent (like a Jake Venables) and it gives the coaches time to focus on a Carmen, Ross, etc.

Jeff Davis, Brian Dawkins, James Trapp, etc... Good "depth".

Feb 11, 2018, 10:52 AM [ in reply to It sure is... ]

WTFU!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Dabo takes several legacy recruits as well... ]

He seems to be scaling back on that, though.

Prefered walk-on is the way to help those guys have a chance to prove themselves and then get a scholarship.

I doubt we'll see to much more of the "legacy" issue down the road.

Feb 7, 2018, 9:01 PM

I know. There has been a wave of Legacies, that is for sure. Brent and Dabo have a few kids coming up but that is about it for a while.

Giving a preferred walk-on offer does not take away a scholarship from another player.

34-10

Coots normally have short lives around here, methinks yours

Feb 7, 2018, 12:22 PM

will even be shorter than most.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To answer your question: Yes. Yes, you are wrong.***

Feb 7, 2018, 12:25 PM

Feb 7, 2018, 12:27 PM

We still have 5 open scholarships

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh... this isn’t that simple.

Feb 7, 2018, 12:43 PM

In the case of Jake Venables, when he signed we knew we had very few schollies this cycle. He’s a legit 3star and a high 3 Star to boot. ( I think he’s the highest rated 3 Star OLB.). At the time, Venables was ready to commit and Hollifield let everyone know he was going to let his recruitment play out.

What would have happened if Clemson held off in Venables hoping Hollifield picked Tigers? They could lose both? With so few schollies, it made sense to take the sure thing.

No doubt getting in and out of Hollifield race hurt us today, but I think Tigs did well.

I am a bitter and angry man.

Re: Meh... this isn’t that simple.

Feb 7, 2018, 1:02 PM

Or lose BV, because Jake and him become a "package deal" at a school looking for a Head Coach recently.
What will blow everyone's mind is, when Bama(or a sportswriter) reveals this Fall; that Patrick Surtain, Sr. is an employee of Nick Saban's (in an off the field position). He will not have the job until September, so do not expect this to be news for 7 months.

Re: Meh... this isn’t that simple.

Feb 7, 2018, 10:47 PM

I don't think so - Jake has grown up dreaming of being a Tiger. At some point in the next few years he may very well be the deciding factor in his parents opting to stay in their current zip code.

Surtain Sr. is going to be a heck of a DB coach for somebody

Feb 7, 2018, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Meh... this isn’t that simple. ]

and I'll bet he will be an outstanding recruiter.

You obviously don't understand the full meaning of the

Feb 7, 2018, 12:44 PM

phrase "Clemson family."

Re: You obviously don't understand the full meaning of the

Feb 7, 2018, 12:54 PM

Maybe the staff should consider how this practice looks to recruits who are not yet a part of the family.

Re: You obviously don't understand the full meaning of the

Feb 7, 2018, 8:47 PM

i am smelling feathers

One of among many problems a program like Clemson has

Feb 7, 2018, 12:48 PM

to deal with, which a certain other school does not and never will.

Not a problem at all.................

Feb 7, 2018, 12:51 PM

You do realize that kids of a state University employee, goes to school free?
Now taking a spot on a team's roster/"dress out" list, yes they taking a "paying walk-on's" spot.
Pick your poison, a coach could not be giving 100% if his thoughts are on their son's participation at a nearby small college or when a game is in the late stages and the outcome is decided; that coaches' son may get the chance get on the field.
Dabo may overdo it a little, but hey; he is a proud father.
I am perfectly happy with the way these things have developed.
Will Swinney has one job with our team, holding for FG/PAT and he did great this year. At other schools that would have earned him a "walk-on scholarship" after one year.
We are saving 1 each year, in that certain situation.

Re: Not a problem at all.................

Feb 7, 2018, 1:02 PM

I was a University employee and my children did not go to Clemson free. I cannot believe that I missed that perk. Maybe that is something new.

Feb 7, 2018, 1:30 PM

If you are/were a fulltime employee, you missed out.
But, you may be right.
This was true in the 60's-90's. I was assuming this is still true today. So I may be very wrong in 2018.
As a High School coach for 30 years(retired), we got highly discounted Clemson and Coot football tickets. After Legislators abused this same perk, it was abolished by 2000.
So you may be correct about tuition now. I got free tuition in 70's.

That is total BS

Feb 7, 2018, 5:33 PM

It has never been true.

I was in school at Clemson in the early 70s.

My dad was a 30 year employee and I worked there 16 years myself.

Employees get tuition waived for two 3-hour classes per semester for themselves.

That's it ... nothing for spouses or children at all.

Feb 9, 2018, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Not a problem at all................. ]

It still is true for most of the people I know but then again I don't know any juan who works at clemson but I would assume at least a partial scholly

Feb 9, 2018, 12:20 PM

Employees can take two 3-hour courses per semester tuition free. You can consider that a "partial scholarship" if you want to, but it would take about 10 years to get a bachelors degree at that pace. It certainly would not help an athlete who is required to stay on track toward graduating with his/her class. And it's not available to spouses or kids.

Feb 7, 2018, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Not a problem at all................. ]

I think it's more of a Southern Conference thing. I had friends who were able to attend the college of their choice free because of reciprocal agreements between particular schools. And more recently, I've had friends retire young and take clerical jobs at small private schools so their kids could attend free.

George Bennett left Clemson for a while for Vandy so that

Feb 8, 2018, 11:56 AM

his son could get a free education, then he came back to Clemson.

Private schools can and do offer free tuition for family as an incentive and a perk, but not state supported schools like Clemson.

Re: George Bennett left Clemson for a while for Vandy so that

Feb 11, 2018, 10:20 PM

George Bennett had other kids besides the two I knew at Clemson?

Coot talks of nepotism yet Jake Bentlys dad is a coach

Feb 7, 2018, 3:25 PM

Actually, youre right. The Bentley situation is likely more incest than nepotism.

Quit Worrying

Feb 7, 2018, 8:04 PM

You'll never have a relative recruited by Clemson.

From your post, I glean your family is neither athletically nor academically talented enough for Clemson.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 7, 2018, 8:44 PM

S.....T......F.....U

Feb 7, 2018, 9:00 PM

If a prospect is worried more about coaches sons on the team than his own ability, maybe he doesn't fit the type of player Clemson recruits. I seriously doubt the thought of nepotism entered into the thoughts of those who committed to Clemson as well as those Clemson was recruiting who chose to go elsewhere.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 9:09 PM

Very well put, Mr. Joe! I believe it speaks volumes that these kids want to go play for their dads rather than wanting to go "anywhere but" their hometown school. Will found his niche early, and Drew & Jake had great stats in high school. I'm excited to see these kids choosing Clemson.

Feb 7, 2018, 9:14 PM

Since you are asking a question, I will answer with civility. Simply put, yes you are wrong.

The "why" of why you are wrong is this. Clemson staff's (and I believe tenure is a requirement) family may attend Clemson, free of tuition if they can get in. These players, sons or relatives otherwise, are receiving walk-on scholarships. Their tuition is being taken care of by the university (I'm not entirely sure coaching staffs are incorporated into the "Clemson Staff" rule, but I believe so) and while they are there, the students joined the athletics program.

Likely, these students have been around football all their lives. If they are still involved at a high level at this point, likely they eat, sleep, and breathe football like their fathers. They have had the benefit of living and being raised by outstanding football coaches. Think about that for a moment. They have had all of the knowledge of a National Championship winning coach at their beckon' call their entire lives. Likely they have absorbed enough knowledge, witnessed enough tape, and trained hard enough for a spot on the team.

Now, for another angle. The coaches have witnessed (an argument could be made that they "recruited") these players the entire lives of the players. The coaches know their faults and strengths. They know the player better than any in-home or official visit could show. Additionally, from what we know of Coach Dabo and the others, are that they are men of integrity. If Coach thinks that player (whether he has a little bias or not) can contribute to the team, then who am I to say otherwise? Who are any of us? Can we really say "All in!" if we are questioning or second guessing?

I hope this has satisfied your query. Have a great day.

Go Tigers!

Dang, Tone357 is sinking like a stone, isn't he?***

Feb 7, 2018, 9:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m surprised he lasted the day. Thought they’d have shown

Feb 8, 2018, 12:01 AM

him the door by lunch.

If Venables son was Stephen Hawking, he should still get a scholly

Feb 7, 2018, 10:50 PM

It keeps him here for 4 years. The main reason we've had success is a very stable and good staff.

A stupid thread started by a Coot and all the replies trying

Feb 7, 2018, 11:24 PM

to justify to the coot the awarding of preferred walk on status for some coaches sons. DABO is the coach, he makes the decisions and has never been wrong and has led us to the top of the mountain and owes nobody any answers regardless of who you are. Quit replying and maybe some of them will get tired of making a fool of themselves and leave.

Re: A stupid thread started by a Coot and all the replies trying

Feb 8, 2018, 12:23 PM

What exactly is a coot?

Re: A stupid thread started by a Coot and all the replies trying

Feb 11, 2018, 8:32 PM

just go look in the mirror.....Go Tigers!!!!

Feb 7, 2018, 11:51 PM

I think Clemson is doing something right. Don't you worry, you true Tiger fan. Just start saving up for tickets to another playoff game

Feb 8, 2018, 1:04 PM

Swinney's kids are PWO, they aren't just given a scholly they have to earn it, second Jake V has been coaches but his dad one of the best d coordinators in the country I'm sure his football IQ and technique are far above other kids his age. No doubt in my mind Jake will contribute on the field for Clemson. Plus it helps keep coach V at clemson for 3-4 more years which is worth a 5 star or 2 imho. Jake also had offers from other D1 schools like LSU so he is good enough to be a tiger without his dad's help.

son, you're pickin the fly turds outa de pepper

Feb 8, 2018, 1:13 PM

'tsall good!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Feb 11, 2018, 8:18 PM

Have any of you ever heard of a recruit who questioned the so-called nepotism some seem to believe is a factor in our recruiting? Have you ever heard of a recruit who was offered by Clemson but chose to go elsewhere and the reason for his doing so was based on nepotism at Clemson? The men that Dabo and his staff recruit are young men of character and talent. I would venture to say that not one of them even view what our staff does as nepotism. Now, most of the posters on this board would readily agree that Dabo does have one habit that is plain to see, he is highly selective in who is offered a scholarship.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2018, 8:28 PM

Dumbest post of the day.......BECAUSE coots gonna coot.........Go Tigers!!!!

coot***

Feb 19, 2018, 8:04 PM

gonna coot.

Message was edited by: dw1959®

Feb 19, 2018, 8:11 PM

As long as Swinney is winning there is no problem!

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic